Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking in pyrex

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 12:02 am
Whenever I cook food with a sauce in a Pyrex it dries up too fast.
Adding more liquid doesn't really help.
Is it because it doesn't cover tightly.
When I cook the same food in foil pans, I'm able to cover the foil tightly, and the food comes out saucy and moist, not over cooked.
The reason I want to cook in the Pyrex is so it stays hot longer, when I take it to the table. Food gets cold faster when I transfer the food.
Please suggest

Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
When I cook the same food in foil pans, I'm able to cover the foil tightly, and the food comes out saucy and moist, not over cooked.
The reason I want to cook in the Pyrex is so it stays hot longer, when I take it to the table. Food gets cold faster when I transfer the food.
Please suggest

Try lining the pyrex dish with parchment paper before putting in food.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 3:24 am
amother wrote:
Please suggest

The pyrex conducts the heat much more efficiently than the foil pans. It absorbs all the oven's radiant heat whereas the foil reflects it.That's why the foil pan retains the liquid (and why things don't brown so well in foil pans), while the pyrex doesn't.
You can try lowering the heat by 25 degrees when cooking with the pyrex.
Also, there are these nice looking decorative metal or wicker trivets that hold the pans and allow you to serve food directly from them at the table. Maybe invest in some of those in several size. Here in Israel they are sold in stores that sell disposable papergoods and tablewear.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:26 am
etky wrote:
The pyrex conducts the heat much more efficiently than the foil pans. It absorbs all the oven's radiant heat whereas the foil reflects it.That's why the foil pan retains the liquid (and why things don't brown so well in foil pans), while the pyrex doesn't.
You can try lowering the heat by 25 degrees when cooking with the pyrex.
Also, there are these nice looking decorative metal or wicker trivets that hold the pans and allow you to serve food directly from them at the table. Maybe invest in some of those in several size. Here in Israel they are sold in stores that sell disposable papergoods and tablewear.

I thought it had to do with the fact that I can't close the foil (on top) as well.
So if I want to make stuffed grape leaves or stuffed zucchini, onion, eggplant (Mekshi), something that takes a long time to stew,

I should do this at how many degrees?

With foil pans it doesn't really matter. I crimp te foil tight so liquid doesn't evaporate. So if I'm baking something else that requires the oven to be at 450, that's ok.

Also, if I have a pre cooked sliced roast how do I heat it up in the Pyrex without drying it out.

All these questions are for Shabbat night.
Usually, I turn the oven on before Shabbat to the highest for about 15 min.
Put the room temperature food in and shut the oven.
I also have a warming drawer, that I put the Shabbat day food in. If it's liquidy, I put it in before Shabbat, if it's dry, on shabbat. I can't regulate temperature, but it's about 250, maybe less.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:34 am
cbg wrote:
I thought it had to do with the fact that I can't close the foil (on top) as well.
So if I want to make stuffed grape leaves or stuffed zucchini, onion, eggplant (Mekshi), something that takes a long time to stew,
I should do this at how many degrees?
With foil pans it doesn't really matter. I crimp te foil tight so liquid doesn't evaporate. So if I'm baking something else that requires the oven to be at 450, that's ok.
Also, if I have a pre cooked sliced roast how do I heat it up in the Pyrex without drying it out.
All these questions are for Shabbat night.
Usually, I turn the oven on before Shabbat to the highest for about 15 min.
Put the room temperature food in and shut the oven.
I also have a warming drawer, that I put the Shabbat day food in. If it's liquidy, I put it in before Shabbat, if it's dry, on shabbat

For things that may evaperate because it doesnt have a good seal, I put 2 pieces of foil on top overlapping in the middle... cook time is definately reduced when using pyrex vs tin pans because I feel the food gets hotter. When doubling the foil, extra liquid also helps with longer cook times

MGmom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:37 am
Pyrex is for sure a healthier alternative than foil pans. I always reduce cooking time and heat in a Pyrex and I do line w parchment if I cook any type meat in it. The idea of double foil on top should be good too

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:11 am
MGmom wrote:
Pyrex is for sure a healthier alternative than foil pans. I always reduce cooking time and heat in a Pyrex and I do line w parchment if I cook any type meat in it. The idea of double foil on top should be good too
y

How do you crimp around the edges? Or do you go all around with the foil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics