Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Homemade Takeout: Panda Express Orange Chicken

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 7:43 am
Fry the chicken in a non-stick pan. Be careful to separate the chicken pieces when coating so they don't clump together but fry evenly.

Homemade Takeout: Panda Express Orange Chicken

Serves 4

3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
2 tablespoons white wine or sherry (I use sherry because it keeps in the pantry and also is more authentic for Chinese recipes)
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or potato starch), divided
Canola (or other neutral oil) oil, for frying
1 tablespoon honey
2/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

Whisk 2 tablespoons soy sauce, wine, ginger, and garlic together in a large bowl. Add the cubed chicken and marinate for at least 15 minutes.

Using a large slotted spoon, move the chicken cubes from the marinade into a new bowl, leaving the remaining liquid behind. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cornstarch over the chicken and mix slightly to coat.

In a large pot over medium-high, heat 1/4 inch of canola oil . Working in batches, add chicken cubes in a single layer and fry, turning occasionally, until well browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Move to a paper towel-lined large plate or baking sheet to drain. Cubes will be crunchy looking nuggets of magic. Resist urge to eat them all from the baking sheet.

In a small pot or saucepan over medium heat, mix remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, honey, orange juice, marmalade, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. In a small bowl, mix remaining tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water together to form a slurry. Bring orange sauce mixture to low boil, and add some of the slurry, a spoonful at a time, while whisking, to thicken the sauce. Remove from heat once thickened.

Toss chicken cubes in the sauce in a large bowl. Serve with rice and broccoli like the homemade takeout queen you ARE.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Nov 15 2015, 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:50 am
WOW!
Are you a cooking genius?
PM me MORE of these gems!!!
Where are the vegetables?
What veggies can be added?

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:52 am
Lol. No genius but cooking is my hobby so I like to try new recipes.

No veggies in this recipe as there aren't veggies typically in Orange Chicken. Steamed broccoli goes well and if you make extra sauce, you could use on the broccoli.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 10:19 am
If you want to patchke and make a multi course Chinese meal like a restaurant, I have a recipe for Sesame Roasted Green Beans which is delicious. I make that a lot and keep In the fridge for a nosh because its even good cold or room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey