Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will I be able to stop payin tuition?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:00 am
Going to be pulling teen dd from school because of bullying, I am backed by our pediatrician and 2 therapists. I plan on speaking with the principal today, he knows about the issue and is trying his best, but the problem is too deep seated and has ben going on for a number of years (dd is first rely giving us full picture now) and it is a toxic situation for dd which of course taking care of her is first priority. We pay tuition monthly am I wrong to expect that I should not have to pay for the rest of year if dd is not going back to the school? Someone said most likely because the school was counting on the money I may have to. This seems wrong to me- am I off base here?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:08 am
Dont pay

cm

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:08 am
Look at your enrollment contract. Our local schools usually require some payment from the family if the student voluntarily withdraws.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:11 am
Ask your LOR.

ETA: Looking at your contract is a good idea, however according to Halacha you may or may not be obligated to your contract if your withdrawal is because you are forced to (Ones) due to the situation.

Last edited by Chayalle on Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:38 am
chayelle, I think you meant "o-nes"
(an "onen" is an immediate relative of a deceased individual from the moment he has learned of the death until the end of the interment. I am certain that chayelle knew this and it was a type-o, but just in case someone else wasn't familiar with the term.)

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
chayelle, I think you meant "o-nes"
(an "onen" is an immediate relative of a deceased individual from the moment he has learned of the death until the end of the interment. I am certain that chayelle knew this and it was a type-o, but just in case someone else wasn't familiar with the term.)

Corrected. You are correct, and being that I'm an aveilah this year, that word was in my mind and mixed up with the correct word.

Happy18

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 10:10 am
just to clarify. Your child is being bullied so horribly you are pulling her out of the school mid year be used the school isn't doing anything about it? You should be calling a lawyer if the school even suggests you pay. There are laws in this country regarding bullying in schools.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:37 pm
Thanks all- Just wanted to be prepared before I have to talk with the school. I have not given them much chance to resolve the situation, but don't want dd to be the guinea pig until they figure out the scope and depth of the issue. It was not obvious bullying( although one gir tried to trip her last week- (really are we in elementary school!) most of it was under the breath comments, things she overheard being said about her, things the girls said that were just obnoxious, but never in front of teachers.
I don't feel I should have to pay for the rest of school, but will have to find the policy as someone suggested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics