Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Scheduling surgery

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:13 pm
I'm trying to schedule my son's tonsillectomy (he already had adenoids out, so it will be just tonsils). I'm due soon, so I don't want the surgery closer than 2 weeks before my due date because I want to be able to focus on his recovery without worrying too much about labor. The office is understanding, but can't promise they can do it. If we can't get it sooner than that, it will have to wait till after the baby. If it comes to that, when is a reasonable time to schedule the surgery? Is 4 weeks later enough? 6 weeks? I don't want to put it off too much because ds keep getting strep again and again and putting it off could mean an extra 2 or 3 strep infections, but I also worry about dealing with a newborn on top of all this.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:30 pm
Will you be able to bring the baby with you to the hostpital. (hospital rules or even how much your son will need you).
Do you exclusively nurse? Until what point?
If you have to leave the baby home with someone for 24 - 48 hours is that possible? Starting at how young? Is your husband able to stay with your son part of the time during recovery so you can be with baby.

It does sound like a difficult situation to be in. Hatzlacha with making the right decision.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:38 pm
It's an outpatient procedure and doesn't take that long, but requires a couple of hours in the recovery room. I do nurse exclusively, so either baby would come with or, if not allowed, Dh would take the day off for the surgery. However, it is a 2 week recovery at home, so I will have a cranky preschooler at home (I also have a toddler who goes to playgroup, so at least one child will have a routone). There will need to be a followup at some point in those two weeks, which will be annoying, but it's just that one day and I could probably get my mother to come help that day. I worry also if there should be any complications. Of course the chance is remote, but more than zero, so I worry about it.

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 2:39 pm
I'd say probably 6-8 weeks, but everybody (read every body) is different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics