Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Question for mothers who DONT give flu shot
Previous  1  2

nylon

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:25 am
New York and New Jersey have different laws. New York DOES require that a parent have a religious belief against the practice of immunization in order to be exempt. Private schools are obligated under NYS law, but this law is not always enforced well (UPK is different because of the public funding). The state may make vaccines mandatory for school entry if it so chooses. In addition, in New York, the courts have upheld the right of the school district to impose a sincerity test and quiz parents about their beliefs. This is rare in the city, but I have heard multiple credible accounts of suburban districts doing so.

I do not know New Jersey's laws as well as New York's.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:09 am
eema of 3 wrote:
It is mandatory for children between 6 months- 5 years old who attend a city program. Check the link I posted, the info is there.

Just note that "city program" doesn't mean public schools only - it means any program that is licensed by the city. Which is basically anything that legally exists. If you send to your neighbor's basement preschool maybe you don't fall under that but anyone else is required.

I wrote a medical exemption letter for delayed vax (I had medical grounds for delaying/spacing - though the official medical community may disagree) and that worked ok but I don't think it would have gone over as well if I said I am not giving one at all rather than just delaying. A lot of the reason was because that child had numerous fevers in her first year, I only wanted to give shots when she was fully healthy if at all. So she ended up way behind schedule.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 2:03 pm
The Supreme Court of NYS ruled today that the city may not enforce the flu vaccination for children under age 5.
Currently, schools can not be penalized for students that don't vaccinate.
The city plans to appeal but this is the current status. (A little annoyed because I vaccinated last week, but everything is bashert.)

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
The Supreme Court of NYS ruled today that the city may not enforce the flu vaccination for children under age 5.
The city plans to appeal but this is the current status. (A little annoyed because I vaccinated last week, but everything is bashert.)

I will have a child in kindergarten next year (hopefully upk actually) so I hope the appeal doesn't move too quickly :-)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks for this update. Do you have a linkto the ruling?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for this update. Do you have a linkto the ruling?

I saw a letter from Agudas Yisroel dated Dec. 17 on theyeshivaworld on instagram
I'll try to find the ruling and link it.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics