Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup - what do I add?

fluffernutter

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 2:53 pm
I put a butternut squash and a bunch of carrots - probably about 65 or 6 - in a pot with some water, boiled them and then blended it with an immersion blender.

Issue is, it doesn't really taste so good. I think it tastes too much like baby food. What spices or foods should I add to make it taste good? I didn't put anything in it so far and if I did, it was really not much. I know - duh - that's why it doesn't taste good! But I think it might need a different veggie also.

The idea is that this soup be low carb and low calorie.

Thanks!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 2:59 pm
The other day I made a soup that had buttnernut squash, onion, sweet potatoe and carrot and some cooked quinoa..the spices were salt and cumin...it actually was very hearty and good.
But since you already did the soup , it's too late to do that...add salt, a little bit of dryed thyme, add in some garlic powder and onion powder ...and maybe sautee some onions and add it into the mix...really it's best to cook the spices with the soup and not add in later, as the flavors meld better when cooking. Good Luck!

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 3:10 pm
I would add some fresh chopped basil. Yum. And next time put less water so it'll be thick and more veg, with lots of sauteed onions n garlic.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 3:45 pm
bigblueyes wrote:
I would add some fresh chopped basil. Yum. And next time put less water so it'll be thick and more veg, with lots of sauteed onions n garlic.

I also put in basil. And a hint of garlic. Also a bit of ginger. Sometimes I'll even add cilantro.
I also sub white wine for some of the water.
Other veggies that I add include onion (I sautee it in olive oil first), sweet potato, pumpkin and sometimes I put in a potato too to thicken it up.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 5:04 pm
a lot of salt and pepper.

Curry powder is my secret ingredient for squash soup. I imagine it would work fine here.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 5:09 pm
Sauté lots of onion and garlic in minimal oil until tender, translucent and very fragrant. Add to soup along with a pinch of dried basil, blend again and season with salt to taste.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 5:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sauté lots of onion and garlic in minimal oil until tender, translucent and very fragrant. Add to soup along with a pinch of dried basil, blend again and season with salt to taste.

This! Every soup needs to start with a base of sauteed onion and garlic. But better late than never.

spring13

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 7:14 pm
I like to add roasted chestnuts, sauteed onion and garlic, and hawaij to squash soup (as part of the cooking process). I also usually cook it with at least some vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if I don't mind it being fleishig) instead of just water.

baba

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:29 am
gp2.0 wrote:
This! Every soup needs to start with a base of sauteed onion and garlic. But better late than never.

Yep, I start every soup like this, no matter what.

I usually add cinnamon and (fresh) ginger to this one, including the usual s+p.
It makes it more on the sweet side, but not too much. Also, if it's like baby food then water it down.

Or go with the curry, tastes good as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics