Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
New Information on Ateres Tzvi
1  2  3  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 10:27 pm
We are thinking of moving to Monsey and Ateres Tzvi would be the school that's our 'type,' meaning that we like the heimishkeit and that the boys learn yiddish but we also are concerned about English education. We have heard that the secular education is VERY weak (as per some research by dh and old imamother threads by me Smile ). However, I have also read that there is a new administration in place, hence the request for new information. Has it changed? For better or worse in any way?

TIA

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 10:48 pm
I don't know about other places, but in monsey, unfortunately, the more right wing a boys school is, the more dismal the level of secular education. (Not talking the various chassidish schools here, since I know nothing at all about them but I'm assuming they're the same)

If you want a halfway decent (not great, mind you) secular education for your son you're going to have to send to ysv at least. Anything more right wing than that and it's a joke (though I have heard that Bais Mikroh isn't bad up till 5th grade)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:12 pm
bump

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:20 pm
Yeh...Ateres Tzvi has been very unstable in the last few years. Constantly changing principals and administration...don't expect much.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 6:21 pm
I am impressed with the secular education. Unlike the other schools, all teachers are college educated in their subject. They (and the (rebbaim) are dedicated to making a difference and are holding the boys to higher standards.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:34 pm
Thanks for the replies. So what do you suggest? if we are looking for that heimish Jewish department but my son is very bright (still very young bh) and we are looking to the future that he will likely want to go to college and we want to prepare him for that possibility/probability.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:56 pm
Ateres Tzvi is on the verge of closing down literally every year. Most of the student body are the chassidish bums. Their English education is the same as any chassidish cheder.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Ateres Tzvi is on the verge of closing down literally every year. Most of the student body are the chassidish bums. Their English education is the same as any chassidish cheder.

Says someone who doesn't know what is going on. How dare you call children bums? You are sick and demented. These are nice frum boys. Kindly tell me one other chassidish school that has experienced college educated teachers. Only some teachers at Bais Mikroh and the very small minority of teachers at YSV have college degrees.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So what do you suggest? if we are looking for that heimish Jewish department but my son is very bright (still very young bh) and we are looking to the future that he will likely want to go to college and we want to prepare him for that possibility/probability.

How old is your son?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
How old is your son?

Currently in pre1a. We would be looking for next year: 1st grade

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 10:47 pm
I know the school better then you think. Someone in my immediate family opened the school & it was specifically opened for these type of kids. I didn't say the kids are bums, I'm sure they are all nice & good kids. But the majority of the parent body are the ex-chassidim.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
I know the school better then you think. Someone in my immediate family opened the school & it was specifically opened for these type of kids. I didn't say the kids are bums, I'm sure they are all nice & good kids. But the majority of the pnarent body are the ex-chassidim.

You said "most of the student body are chassidish bums". That is a far cry from the boys are "all nice and good kids." It is a dispicable thing to say about any child. So what the parent body is ex-chassidim? It does NOT make their children bums! I wonder what you would lable the children of a demented person like yourself. Perhaps since your relative is no longer involved then you don't know the school as well as you think. Anyway anyone who would give your opinion any credibility is a demented as yourself.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks for labeling my kids since they were in Ateres Tzvi for a bit. My kids always want to know what they are, and we tell them they are "Frum Jews". Now we have a label. We arent chasidish and we know some families there that also have nothing to do with being chasidish. Some parents are chasidish style, but no chasidis affiliation. Some are chasidish and want better than their chasideshe school has to offer.

The people that you were referring to,your claim the reason the yeshiva opened for, are mostly in Ashar, Chabad of new City or YNJ. I actually think pretty highly of them, since I have relatives that also decided to move away from the way they were raised(MO) and their kids dont know what it means to be a jew.

As to the OP's question, from Pesach and on there were many rumors that the school is closing. Some parents wanted to switch, but no school was willing to accept them. The Monsey Rabonim dont want the school to fail. I would think really hard before putting my DC in an unstable school.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for labeling my kids since they were in Ateres Tzvi for a bit. My kids always want to know what they are, and we tell them they are "Frum Jews". Now we have a label. We arent chasidish and we know some families there that also have nothing to do with being chasidish. Some parents are chasidish style, but no chasidis affiliation. Some are chasidish and want better than their chasideshe school has to offer.

The people that you were referring to,your claim the reason the yeshiva opened for, are mostly in Ashar, Chabad of new City or YNJ. I actually think pretty highly of them, since I have relatives that also decided to move away from the way they were raised(MO) and their kids dont know what it means to be a jew.

As to the OP's question, from Pesach and on there were many rumors that the school is closing. Some parents wanted to switch, but no school was willing to accept them. The Monsey Rabonim dont want the school to fail. I would think really hard before putting my DC in an unstable school.

How did you get your kids into another school if no school is willing to take them?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
How did you get your kids into another school if no school is willing to take them?

I switched them a few years ago for very valid reasons. (Ateres Tzvi is in Ramapo Central, and that was a big problem for my DS since he needed services)

It was a bit tricky, but since it was the schools idea that my kids should go elsewhere, their new school accepted them once that was confirmed. It was a very stressful summer, to say the least. I havent publicly told people how\why we did it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Currently in pre1a. We would be looking for next year: 1st grade

I have given this some thought.

Munkatch and the other chassidish schools are much worse than Ateres Tzvi even before the revitalized English Department. I know boys who attended Aters Tzvi who are currently in college so it is doable. Also, being there are not enough spots for all the students moving into Monsey the school will not be closing down.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
I know the school better then you think. Someone in my immediate family opened the school & it was specifically opened for these type of kids. I didn't say the kids are bums, I'm sure they are all nice & good kids. But the majority of the parent body are the ex-chassidim.

Ex-Chassidim = bums
Such a mature view of the world.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 7:18 pm
Ok, so Dh is also looking into darchei noam and ysv. Any info or should I start a new thread? English? Type? Nice boys or bullying (which we have been dealing with a bit now Sad ) how is the administration to deal with?

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, so Dh is also looking into darchei noam and ysv. Any info or should I start a new thread? English? Type? Nice boys or bullying (which we have been dealing with a bit now Sad ) how is the administration to deal with?

That's quite a jump.
Darchei Noam is sort of the boys equivalent of Ateres for girls. YSV is more to the right than that.

Rebesq

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:24 pm
Maya wrote:
That's quite a jump.
Darchei Noam is sort of the boys equivalent of Ateres for girls. YSV is more to the right than that.

This is not really accurate. YSV and Darchei are very similar in frumkeit. People go to Darchei bc it's much smaller and more personable. YSV is so huge you have everything from looks frum but bately know Halacha to super yeshivish. Darchei is basically the middle of that. Lots of families have Darchei/Ateres or Darchei/YSV girls.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics