Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shmitta- discuss
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 6:37 am
Since the new year is fast approaching, and this is my first shmitta I will be in israel, I realized I know virtually nothing about the halachos of shmitta.
I was considering posting this in the life in israel section, but figured maybe someone outside of israel also would know information they could contribute.

Can we please share all the information we have about the halachos pertaining to shmitta?

What I know is you're not allowed to work the land on shmitta. Details of this I don't know.
I also know there is something called heter mechira which rav kook instituted, which involves selling your feild to a [gentile] for shmitta, however, I know most people do not hold by this heter anymore.
I know there's something called otzar beis din, which is where all the produce is owned by the bais din and sold not for profit, but I don't know the specifics.

Please share any information you know regarding shmitta.
Thanks in advance.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 6:45 am
My first shmittah was 7 years ago. I was very nervous and thought I would never get it right etc. I think since it only comes every 7 years everyone feels this way. Our Rov gave a series of classes especially for the ladies of the community (they do a lot of the shopping, cooking, and food handling) and they were packed! (read here lots of women who had been through lots of previous shmittahs). Once the Rov explained it all it was totally doable. I don't remember all the details except letting my plants die, keeping separate containers for different kinds of produce related peelings and trash etc, based on where it was grown and getting lots of cheap and yumy oitzer beis din fruit.

Oh, and don't forget to write a prosbol!

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 6:49 am
Whats a prosbol?

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 6:57 am
Maybe I didn't transliterate it correctly. I'll try differently. A proosbol is a legal document that says that people who owe you money still have to pay you back. Before onset of last shmittah the company I had worked for went bankrupt and owed all the workers several months salary. I asked the Rov and even though it wasn't a loan I was told to sign a proosbol.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 7:12 am
I wish people owed me money... Then I'd have a chance of getting money. Wink

suomynona

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:06 am
They are giving classes on hilchos shmitta here for ladies, and so far, all the courses that started don't work out for me in terms of time of day. I don't know the first thing about it, so I am really upset that I can't attend. My husband said it's not as overwhelming as it seems because these days they import most things during shmitta. He also said that it depends on who you follow. R' Elyashiv is more machmir than the Eida Chareidis. (At this point, I don't know what that means practically speaking). But luckily, Feldheim just put out a book of the halachos in English, and you can be sure I'll be getting a copy.

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:41 am
Here's what I know:

1. Indoor plants are not a problem.
2. You don't have to let everything outside die either; you are allowed to water your lawn and garden (if you have one) just enough to maintain it. (THIS IS ACCORDING TO MY RAV. FIND OUT HOW YOUR OWN COMMUNITY HOLDS!!!!)
3. You cannot plant anything new after 9 Av this year (some things up until erev RH, double check).
4. Otzar Beit Din is produce that grows ON ITS OWN during shmitta. The Beit Din (BD) pays the owner of the land for the costs of labour and transport of the produce, but the "farmer" does not make a profit. This is a halachically better option than heter mechira.
5. Shmitta peelings, and "ends" are kadosh and cannot be tossed in the garbage. One option is to wrap it separately (in a paper, biodegradeable bag is my preference) and then throw it in your regular bin. Another option is a shmitta pile...we're planning on composting it all in a separate container in the backyard, which we can use as fertilizer AFTER shmitta (again, as per OUR RAV...check).
6. There is an organization called "Otzar Ha'aretz" which is made up of Jewish farmers who are shomer halacha who are trying to organize a shmitta "co-op" for fruits & veggies. The website is http://www.hashmita.co.il

red sea

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:42 am
Last time I was there by shmitta - was a shmitta museam in kibbutz chafetz chaim.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:44 am
Marion wrote:
Here's what I know:

I heard something about them needing to be above ground level? And that the pot couldn't have a hole in the bottom?

happyone

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:52 am
I thought Shmita was only pertinent to fruits and vegetables. I didn't realize it pertains to front lawn grass and plants. I also wasn’t aware that not only farmers have halachos with planting. I thought the only thing consumers needed to know was where the fruit and veggies were coming from. Guess you learn new things each day!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 9:47 am
OK, this is what I remember.

The types of fruit/veg you will get:
From chutz la'aretz: as usual
From non-Jews in Israel: some hold has kedushas 7, some not.

Grown by Shemitta observant farmers in Israel:
Veg - some already begins to have kedusha 7 a few days after RH. Some later. You can buy lists of each kind of fruit/veg - when Kedushas 7 starts and ends. By Chanuka all veg is K7.
Fruit- goes after the blossoming which means no kedushas 7 till next spring and continues to citrus fruits in 5769.
There are different opinions/ minhagim what fruit/veg is considered K7.

Halachas of food with K7:
Could be different opinions.
Assur to take out of EY.
Assur to waste.
Assur to use in a strange way - eg cooking fruit/veg usually eaten raw or vice versa.
Assur not to use for eating - eg lemon juice to remove stains.
Must do biur if you have more than enough for 3 meals and the season has passed (eg crates of wine, grape juice).
Many hold it's a special mitzva to eat.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 9:49 am
breslov wrote:
Marion wrote:
Here's what I know:

I heard something about them needing to be above ground level? And that the pot couldn't have a hole in the bottom?

Ask your LOR! Different opinions 8)

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 3:23 pm
shalhevet wrote:
breslov wrote:
Marion wrote:
Here's what I know:

Aren't most indoor plants above ground level?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 3:39 pm
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
breslov wrote:
Marion wrote:
Here's what I know:

Aren't most indoor plants above ground level?

If it's on the floor it is still considered to halachically get its nutrition from the earth. I can't remember the details at all, but it depends which floor you live on and what type of pot - definitely a shaila.

aussiegal

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 4:12 am
suomynona wrote:
They are giving classes on hilchos shmitta here for ladies, and so far, all the courses that started don't work out for me in terms of time of day. I don't know the first thing about it, so I am really upset that I can't attend. My husband said it's not as overwhelming as it seems because these days they import most things during shmitta. He also said that it depends on who you follow. R' Elyashiv is more machmir than the Eida Chareidis. (At this point, I don't know what that means practically speaking). But luckily, Feldheim just put out a book of the halachos in English, and you can be sure I'll be getting a copy.

yeh, the times haven't worked out with the shiurim for me either. my husband is going to try get me the tape of r'berkowitz's shiur on it. if I get it, I can lend it to u probably.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 4:22 am
I havent heard of any shiurim in my neighborhood. REALLY annoying.

supermom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 10:38 am
That means one can pick off from someone elses tree and eat the fruit?
I am confused shalhevet about your post with K7. Can you explain it again? Why does some fruit have the K7 later than other fruits? I am confused with the whole post. Sad Sorry.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 11:04 am
supermom wrote:
That means one can pick off from someone elses tree and eat the fruit?
I am confused shalhevet about your post with K7. Can you explain it again? Why does some fruit have the K7 later than other fruits? I am confused with the whole post. Sad Sorry.

It depends when the fruit budded. So citrus fruit this coming winter (5768) budded before shemitta, so it doesn't have k7. But the summer fruits bud already in shemitta, so that next summer grapes, apricots, peaches etc will have k7 in summer 5768 and citrus in winter 5769. Veg I can't remember what makes it have k7 - I think when it's picked.

What else did you want to know?

Yes, you can pick the fruit if you're sure it's k7 and you know how to do it without damaging the tree.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 12:59 pm
Are fruits and vegetables more expensive at this time?

hila

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 1:21 pm
Vegetables are not like fruit. They are Sfichin, and produce of the 7th year cannot be used at all.
Fruit grows on the tree anyway and all growers should make their fruit "hefker" or ownerless.
It does have k7 .
Even if ou rely on Heter Mchira then the fruit has k7.
Usually the producer is paid for his work and not for the fruit itself. Most owners will not let you go pick for yourself, but will turn their produce over to the Otsar Bet Din.
They in turn will sell the fruit to the public.

For more details see http://www.hashmita.co.il/
though it appears to be down right now.

And this is a quote from a recent pasha sheet....
Quote:

Last week we carried an ad for OTZAR HAARETZ; this letter however,
is not an ad. It is a personal note from someone who signed up and
who believes that this is an important undertaking for the sake of
proper observance of Sh'mita, for the benefit of Jewish farmers in
Israel especially,
but not exclusively for Gush Katif expellee farmers,
and for the protection of the people of Israel.
Check out the website listed below and join Otzar HaAretz if you decide
that it is a good thing to do. (Please note: This is NOT an official OU
Israel endorsement of Otzar HaAretz; it is a personal report on a
project that seems to have great merit.)
Membership in Otzar HaAretz costs 50NIS. In addition to that fee, a
member commits himself to 50NIS a month for which he receives a 12
50NIS coupons which are usable to buy produce each month, from
special stores throughout the country. The ideal situation will be stores
that carry Otzar HaAretz produce only. Amounts over the coupon value
are paid for with money.
Produce will include that which is stored from the 6th year, that which
is grown severed from the ground, hydroponics, that which is grown in
the southern Arava, and Otzar Beit Din produce - this
last type having
the sanctity of Shmita produce and requiring special treatment. (Fruits
in this category will mostly be the concern of the year following
Sh'mita.) Most produce will come from Jewish farmers. Some will be
from local Bedouin farmers and some will be imported. Produce in the
Otzar HaAretz stores will be properly identified as to its source and its
status.
Heter Mechira produce will be considered only as a last resort and will
not even be an issue until after Pesach 5768, and then, only for
specific items.
The more people join Otzar HaAretz, the more Otzar HaAretz stores
there will be around the country.

You can call them directly on 1-700-703-177

For more details see http://www.hashmita.co.il/
though it appears to be down right now.

We signed up with them. And one store in Efrat has already promised to sell only Otsar haaretz next year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions