Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey
1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:59 am
We are thinking of moving to Monsey. I have two kids, am in my upper twenties and would call myself middle of the road Yeshivish. Can you please post the different neighborhoods of Monsey, the different crowds, the kinds of homes and prices. I am open to further out up and coming neighborhoods. My ideal house is under 500k, is a colonial NOT a split level and has at least four bedrooms. Thanks.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 10:29 am
anyone? I know there are many monsey ppl on here.....

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:14 am
The prices keep rising...I dont think you can get a colonial for under 500K now , even in the up and coming neighborhoods....Springhill area sounds like somewhere for you..or perhaps in the Pomona area.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:16 am
We're actually looking at a house in Hillcrest now. It's still mainly non-Jews so you can get a nice 4 bedroom colonial for 400K. Otherwise, I don't think you'll find what you're looking for at that price. Have a look at zillow.com so you get a picture of pricing before you decide on a neighborhood.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:19 am
Also, dont know if you have kids...make sure you have a school for them before you buy....there are many Monsey kids still out of school!!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:47 am
Pomona from what I understand is gorgeous but pretty modern. What is the community andin Hillcrest all about? What about Dexter Park? Chestnut Ridge? My oldest kid will be in nursery next year? Do schools in Monsey mainly start 3 yr old or 4 yr old?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:11 pm
I'm in Chestnut Ridge right now all the way out near New Jersey...as much as the yeshivish community spread out in Chestnut Ridge...the Williambsburg/Boro Park Chassidish community is moving in more and more...and many yeshivish people are considering selling and moving already ...that's why I mentioned Springhill...that is in the Scotlandhills area of Chestnut Ridge that part of Chestnut Ridge seems to be more Yeshivish than Chasiddish......there is a certain part of Pomona that is becoming very middle of the way , yeshivish...though I'm not 100% familiar with that area.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:20 pm
can you give me some street names to look out houses in the "yeshivish" are of chestnut ridge. also when do most schools in monsey start 3 or 4 yr olds?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:26 pm
I believe age 4..though I don't have girls so I'm not sure....Scotland Hill Road...that area...Summit, Wilshire, I don't know the names there...Haller Crescent, this is all far out in the cheaper part....the "birds" is the more expensive part of Chestnut Ridge with a mix of yeshivish and chasidish...lots of people from the Bodner Kollel live there.
Don't fall for everything the real estate agents tell you....they will try to convince you that certain neighborhoods are yeshivish or are "becoming", they'll say anything to make a sale....and many ppl. fell in that way, by moving to the wrong neighborhoods...

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:42 pm
Chestnut Ridge- Scotland Hill area specifically

The "birds" area of Chestnut Ridge is more right-wing yeshivish, scotland hill more middle of road yeshivish, from what I understand. You can look into both.

Definitely NOT pomona or airmont, in my humble opinion- aren't those more "modern chassidish" crowds?

Also consider growing areas in New Hempstead. There's a neighborhood in New Hempstead called "up the hill" or something to that effect, that's young and growing.

I don't personally know any Monsey kids without a school, just to offer another perspective. Everyone I know has a school for their kid.

Caveat: I don't live in Monsey. But I know lots of people who do.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:24 pm
Monsey 500k ????

PLEASE EDUCATE ME

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:32 pm
In the areas I mentioned in my post above, u can get definitely for upper 4's, and even lower (low to mid 4's) for something smaller.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:32 pm
op here. are all the monsey schools hard to get into or just the chassidish ones? The people that I know in monsey send thier kids to Bas Mikrah, Chofetz chaim and YSV. Is hard to get into those types of schools?

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:38 pm
I seriously wouldn't worry about it, OP. My friends had no trouble getting into the mainstream litvish/yeshivish schools u mentioned. Do your own research, but there's no schooling crisis in Monsey that I'm aware of. (as for lakewood, though... they have a schooling crisis.)

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:39 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Monsey 500k ????

PLEASE EDUCATE ME

I have looked at houses under $500 in different parts of monsey. They basically have 3 bedrooms, but some have ability to make a fourth. You have to watch for the taxes, it can easily add over $1,000 a a month to your mortgage.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
op here. are all the monsey schools hard to get into or just the chassidish ones? The people that I know in monsey send thier kids to Bas Mikrah, Chofetz chaim and YSV. Is hard to get into those types of schools?

When you need to apply, call right after succos for an application. Apply to two schools so that you have a backup if one doesnt work out.(no need to volunteer that information to the school).

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:46 pm
The school crisis is very real in Monsey, it was just written about last week in the Monsey Views magazine...there is also a problem with overcrowded schools and as far as I know its not as prevalent in the litvish/yeshivish schools, but make sure that you wont have an issue being accepted even in those schools. I know people that have been turned away from there as well. Just do your research first, that's all I'm saying.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:48 pm
op here. if my imaginary house in monsey cost 500k and I put 100k down. how much will my monthly mortgage be approximately? mortgage calculators online dont add things like property tax. also I really do not like split level houses and that is the main thing I am seeing online. How hard is it to find a proper 4 colonial style house in Monsey?

Maya

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:50 pm
gold21 wrote:
I seriously wouldn't worry about it, OP. My friends had no trouble getting into the mainstream litvish/yeshivish schools u mentioned. Do your own research, but there's no schooling crisis in Monsey that I'm aware of. (as for lakewood, though... they have a schooling crisis.)

There is a terrible schooling crisis in Monsey. It's slightly better in the yeshivish schools, but only slightly.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:52 pm
Colonials are more expensive! And they are grabbed off the market quickly.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating