Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  Next

momX4

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
op here. if my imaginary house in monsey cost 500k and I put 100k down. how much will my monthly mortgage be approximately? mortgage calculators online dont add things like property tax. also I really do not like split level houses and that is the main thing I am seeing online. How hard is it to find a proper 4 colonial style house in Monsey?

Zillow has a mortgage calculator. You can put in your down-payment and it will give you an estimate. It also has the taxes, but I would confirm with the town that its accurate before purchasing. We also have a STAR program which reduces the taxes a bit. Anyone that lives in their house, as apposed to renting it out, get a tax credit.

Realtors would recommend that you get pre-approved for a mortgage so that there are no surprises later.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:06 pm
does anyone know anything about the area dexter park. I heard its up and coming yeshivish. what are street names in the area that I can look at zillow to get a feel of the houses?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:10 pm
Dexter Park is the Scotlandhill area as far as I know as I have mentioned in the earlier post....there is Childrens Park and Dexter Park...I think its all be the same...

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:14 pm
Maya wrote:
There is a terrible schooling crisis in Monsey. It's slightly better in the yeshivish schools, but only slightly.

But there are newer up and coming schools like Ateres Bais Yaakov , and that new yeshiva Cheder D'Rockland. I don't think YSV is gonna turn a kid away if the application is in on time and the child is a mainstream child. As for Chofetz Chaim, Bas Mikrah, Bais Mikroh, Degel HaTorah, etc- yeah, could very well be hard to get into those schools, I can believe that.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:15 pm
What are street names in that area that I can look at on zillow?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:16 pm
OP is yeshivish...Ateres is more of a modern crowd...but it's a great school!

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:25 pm
Don't know any street names so can't help u with that, but I believe Dexter Park is a little further out than Sctoland Hill (both are Chestnut Ridge neighborhoods so all in same area of Monsey) and it's cheaper but it's also newer.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:32 pm
new doesnt bother me. my oldest kid is 2.5. Scotland Hill Rd is a huge street and goes across highways. What are some of the frum streets off Scotland Hill Rd so that I can find the correct area on the map?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:34 pm
op here. also if I move to Monsey I would need a new job. I have my degree in accounting. Would it be hard to find a job 30 hours a week, with benefits that pays at least 40k?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:35 pm
Summit Road, Wilshire ....those are the names I've heard of...Spring Hill Road is another name...and yes these people are moving all the way up Scotland Hill Road...

ez-pass

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:38 pm
I send to bais mikroh and iyh chofetz chaim and am in new city. I also am in the mortgage business so I see a lot about the neighborhoods. Pls pm me.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
new doesnt bother me. my oldest kid is 2.5. Scotland Hill Rd is a huge street and goes across highways. What are some of the frum streets off Scotland Hill Rd so that I can find the correct area on the map?

Eastbourne, Sergio, etc. etc.
Please PM me for more information.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
op here. also if I move to Monsey I would need a new job. I have my degree in accounting. Would it be hard to find a job 30 hours a week, with benefits that pays at least 40k?

Sure if you are willing to commute to manhattan or New Jersey

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:14 pm
I would be willing to give in on salary to a point. I am not willing to commute or work more than 30 hours a week. I have my degree in accounting. Would I have a very hard time finding a semi decent job in Monsey?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:25 pm
Half of the world has a degree in accounting nowadays....Monsey is not an easy place to find jobs...you may have to commute...note that people get enticed by Monsey, but nowadays, Monsey is becoming expensive...the cost of living is rising, food is priced high, tuition is higher etc.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
But there are newer up and coming schools like Ateres Bais Yaakov , and that new yeshiva Cheder D'Rockland. I don't think YSV is gonna turn a kid away if the application is in on time and the child is a mainstream child. As for Chofetz Chaim, Bas Mikrah, Bais Mikroh, Degel HaTorah, etc- yeah, could very well be hard to get into those schools, I can believe that.

YSV turns away many, many "mainstream" kids every year. There's just no room, the classes have 27-29 kids each, boys and girls schools both. They practically fill up with siblings and alumni children, only a few other slots are available each year.

Cheder D'Monsey is very exclusive, basically impossible to get into unless your husband is in kollel/rebbe and you're super yeshivish. They have one class for each grade and they keep class sizes small.

Ateres BY is a "left wing BY school" might be easier to get into than others.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:35 pm
You're not willing to commute for work? Monsey doesn't have a booming business district- if ur only willing to work within the confines of Monsey, expect a lower salary at the very least.

ez-pass

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
YSV turns away many, many "mainstream" kids every year. There's just no room, the classes have 27-29 kids each, boys and girls schools both. They practically fill up with siblings and alumni children, only a few other slots are available each year.

Cheder D'Monsey is very exclusive, basically impossible to get into unless your husband is in kollel/rebbe and you're super yeshivish. They have one class for each grade and they keep class sizes small.

I agree. If u move please get your kids into a school first.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:

OK, I dunno

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:47 pm
I need to be home for my kids when they come home from school. Most schools don't have extended hours till 5:30 to allow the mother to work full time and than drive half hour home....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating