Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Gala wear

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:13 pm
What should I wear to an upcoming fundraising gala: better everyday, regular Shabbos, better Shabbos/regular wedding guest, floor length gown? TIA!

Anonymiss 1

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:22 pm
All the ones I've attended are quite formal. What does the invitation say? Generally, a cocktail dress is appropriate.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:27 pm
Anonymiss 1 wrote:
All the ones I've attended are quite formal. What does the invitation say? Generally, a cocktail dress is appropriate.

The invitation doesn't say anything. I've never attended a gala before.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:27 pm
What's the venue? Is it in a hotel ballroom/fancy country club-type place? Somewhere outdoors like a park or large backyard?

What time of day is it? Afternoon? Evening?

Is there some type of activity? A challah-baking demonstration? Some type of art project? A screening of a film? I've certainly seen fundraisers like that too.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:31 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
What's the venue? Is it in a hotel ballroom/fancy country club-type place?
What time of day is it?
Is there some type of activity? A challah-baking demonstration? Some type of art project? I've certainly seen fundraisers like that too.

It's going to be a evening dinner in a hotel ballroom.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
What should I wear to an upcoming fundraising gala: better everyday, regular Shabbos, better Shabbos/regular wedding guest, floor length gown? TIA!

I think something in one of these two categories sound appropriate.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:55 pm
The crowd I'm in doesn't really own full length stuff so I wouldn't wear that. I personally would wear formal wedding attire, which for me, would be a below the knee skirt/dress. A gown would stick out.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:16 pm
MamaBear wrote:
The crowd I'm in doesn't really own full length stuff so I wouldn't wear that. I personally would wear formal wedding attire, which for me, would be a below the knee skirt/dress. A gown would stick out.

I think the crowd will be mostly very modern and wealthy, if that changes anything. By very modern I mean not necessarily following rigid tznius rules, fully involved in the secular world, etc. Not only have I never been to a gala, but I'm also not familiar with the dress etiquette of these people in general.
My own crowd also usually doesn't wear full length stuff, unless they are immediate family of the chosson and kallah at chasunas. But I do have a gown that I wear Friday nights at home with dh, so I could wear it.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:22 pm
I've been to modern things, secular things, etc and the only time people wear gowns is the very wealthy secular manhattan crowd. And if you're thinking of a gown you often wear at home on friday night, that's not what they wear anyhow. Stick to a formal wedding outfit.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:27 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I've been to modern things, secular things, etc and the only time people wear gowns is the very wealthy secular manhattan crowd. And if you're thinking of a gown you often wear at home on friday night, that's not what they wear anyhow. Stick to a formal wedding outfit.

Just curious, what type of gown does the wealthy secular Manhattan crowd wear? Is there a particular style?

MamaBear

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:30 pm
Look at google images: nyc gala

cm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:36 pm
Wedding guest.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:36 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Look at google images: nyc gala

Thank you. You're right, it's not what I wear Friday night LOL

MamaBear

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:02 pm
I have been to a couple of things like that and I just wear all black with fancy costume jewelry and I get my sheitel to look really freshly done. I wear a full face of makeup etc. It's always fine. I blend right in. I'd rather blend in with a boring outfit than stand out in the wrong one.

But if you do want a full length dress, Ralph Lauren always has stuff:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....gYqD9

or

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....zPos5

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:40 am
Shabbes type, or wedding type. Not a gown/long.
This is just my experience.

Maya

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:49 am
I'd wear a wedding dress with a cardigan or shrug over it. No shells. Heels and makeup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics