Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School Staff Called DS an Idiot!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:05 pm
The title says it all: a staff member called my son an idiot. During recess this other boy was bullying him and grabbed both his arms, ds spit on the boy since the boy was hurting him. The boy called staff and staff put ds in time out and called him an idiot.
Ds does not make up these things, he is a shy, well behaved boy.He came home crying and traumatized.
Now what do I do? How do I solve this with the school? Please help!

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:13 pm
Call and ask for a meeting. Given that a) your DS was being bullied, and b) it is never okay for a teacher to call a student an idiot (except possibly in jest, if the kid isn't the type to mind), this sounds like administration should be involved from the beginning.

If they don't react appropriately, I'd suggest looking for another school.

One doesn't want to hover too much. But neither do we want our kids' education in the hands of people who condone either a) or b).

And don't let them try to tell you that DS should somehow have run to a rebbe for help while he was pinned down, either.

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:14 pm
Oy that's disgusting and unproffesional.
Although spitting is wrong and bullying is often not noticed by staff they might have thought your son was picking a fight etc, they should be the adults and handle it gently and of course not badmouth kids.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:38 pm
Times like this makes me want to homeschool. But, unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow me.
The teacher is not with the kids during recess, just some staff members that watch the kids. I am so upset, I'm thinking of going to the school myself and speak to the person in charge of those people. I don't use this language , it's just so upsetting.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:06 pm
imasinger wrote:
Call and ask for a meeting. Given that a) your DS was being bullied, and b) it is never okay for a teacher to call a student an idiot (except possibly in jest, if the kid isn't the type to mind), this sounds like administration should be involved from the beginning.

If they don't react appropriately, I'd suggest looking for another school.

One doesn't want to hover too much. But neither do we want our kids' education in the hands of people who condone either a) or b).

And don't let them try to tell you that DS should somehow have run to a rebbe for help while he was pinned down, either.

This is exactly the type of thing that might happen, as if my son could call for help while the other boy was pinning him down.
I'm not sure if I call for a meeting or if I just go to the school tomorrow, because I want to make sure he is safe in recess.

tweety1

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:41 am
My dd was once told she belongs in chush! After that long year was over we switched her to a diff school.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:48 am
When I was 9 the administrator of my school told me that either I am dumb or lazy because I hadn't finished a worksheet in the time that was allotted to us. I still remember this 10 years later.... some people just don't belong around kids. They are too busy acting like them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children