Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much should I offer/expect to pay - picking up child
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:44 pm
I want to ask a fellow mom if she can bring my child home from preschool on a daily or almost-daily basis. The preschool is about 10-15 minute walk away, we have kids in the same class, and she passes by my home on her way home. This is more of a convenience than necessity thing and I would be perfectly fine and flexible if she can't do it sometimes due to not going straight home or her kid being home sick or anything. My child is not a good walker so it would necessitate pushing 35 lb of her in a stroller at least half the way.

How much would you expect to get paid for something like this? The other mom is not a babysitter by profession or anything, she won't know what to ask either. I'm thinking a weekly or monthly thing rather than per day since it's such a small job. I don't even know yet if she'd be interested but I want to figure this out before I ask.

Stars

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:46 pm
Around here people pay $10 per trip.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:23 pm
Depends on the city, weather she has a car, wether you are asking more as a business or as a chessed .
Also would depend on the age and stage of her kids.

I would guess between $5-10 per day.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:24 pm
$10 PER TRIP? That seems a bit much... I used to pay $10 per HOUR of babysitting including pickups when relevant. I realize many sitters have higher rates but I would have expected less for taking along an extra child on a route you're doing already for a total of having the kid for about 10-15 minutes.

pond user

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:28 pm
Stars wrote:
Around here people pay $10 per trip.

Wah! I'm glad I don't live in your city. That's extortionate.
In my city, if she's anyway passing your house, you can offer her a nice bonus of say $50 a month. In my city the woman would probably refuse payment anyway (even if she needed it) and a nice gift at yomim tovim as a good gesture would be more than enough.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:29 pm
NY metro location.
No car. Nobody here drives to school. It's a 10-minute walk to school (which she's doing anyway for her own kid) and longer on the way back because of slow little kids.
She has older kids who are still in school at this time, and no babies at home. Just the one child being picked up at the same place and time as mine.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:31 pm
It's the kind of thing that if it were once in a while we'd gladly do it for each other as favors (I have done so for other neighbors... there don't happen to be others in this class in my direction right now but in the past I've picked up someone's kid if their baby was asleep and they didn't want to shlep him out... things like that) but because I am looking for a steadier arrangement I would want to pay.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:32 pm
Does she have a twin carriage?

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:35 pm
I don't know what to tell you to offer, but the pushing a 35 lb. kid in a stroller does change it significantly. I would guess somewhere in the $100 a month range, but that's literally just off the top of my head. An independent walker would be a totally different story in my mind.

yksraya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:35 pm
Maybe ask her first if she's willing and then offer a price you can afford and ask her if it's ok with her.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:15 pm
id rather push a kid in a stroller then hold on to two toddlers.

I think $5 a day sounds fine, which works out at about $100 a month.

If she refuses payment, give her some generous gift cards at yomim tovim instead.

cm

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:20 pm
If you want her to do this for convenience rather than necessity, how about sharing? You walk with both children one week, and she can do the next.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:27 pm
I have been in this position before. If I were the other mom I would only agree to help on occasion. The money is so little that it's not an incentive to take on a daily responsibility. Yet an additional tired toddler who likely needs a nap is not what want when I go to pick up my own toddler. Especially when the weather is bad - walking one kid home is bad enough in the rain or snow, two is a real drag.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:30 pm
Hm, sharing the job is something I might be able to deal with, though I don't know if that's something she'd be looking for (many people come straight from work to pick up their kids so it's not as out of the way. I get home from work shortly before pickup time so I have this awkward little amount of time before shleping out again, unless I make this type of arrangement in which case I have a nice little break to get things done for myself at home.)

Thanks for the perspectives.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:35 pm
where I live the cost of carpool one way is between $65-$75 a month. Two ways might be a little cheaper $120-$140 depending on the person.

I think you should pay at least as much as that if not more because she is walking not driving.

Also realize that if she does this she is still doing you a HUGE favor and the money is so little that it is hardly worth her effort.

I did this once for a friend for two months. I was happy to help her but the money she gave me in no way made up for the hassle. I did it as a chessed not as a business. Besides her baby is super cute Very Happy

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:41 pm
seeker wrote:
I want to ask a fellow mom if she can bring my child home from preschool on a daily or almost-daily basis. The preschool is about 10-15 minute walk away, we have kids in the same class, and she passes by my home on her way home. This is more of a convenience than necessity thing and I would be perfectly fine and flexible if she can't do it sometimes due to not going straight home or her kid being home sick or anything. My child is not a good walker so it would necessitate pushing 35 lb of her in a stroller at least half the way.

How much would you expect to get paid for something like this? The other mom is not a babysitter by profession or anything, she won't know what to ask either. I'm thinking a weekly or monthly thing rather than per day since it's such a small job. I don't even know yet if she'd be interested but I want to figure this out before I ask.

I drive kids home from school and I charge $5 per trip, $20 per week, or $70 per month.

Stars

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:44 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I drive kids home from school and I charge $5 per trip, $20 per week, or $70 per month.

omg I need that service!!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:46 pm
Stars wrote:
omg I need that service!!
do you send your kids to school in far rockaway? :-)

Stars

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:52 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
do you send your kids to school in far rockaway? :-)

Where I live, most schools provide bus transportation. My son is in daycare though, and I cannot find anyone who will walk him home every day. No one will commit for that little money.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:16 pm
If it's a walk I'm doing ANYWAY, I'd happily do it for free. If you offered $20 a month I'd be more than happy to accept to make you happy. But then again--- this is Cleveland. Smile

If her kid ALSO needs a stroller, and/or your kid and her kid are difficult together, then it changes perhaps--- but just to push your kid in a stroller when I'm walking with my kid anyway? No need for 10 or 5 per trip in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics