Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva Siach Yitzchak Far Rockaway
1  2  Next

tobehonest

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:58 pm
Anyone sent their children to Yeshiva Siach Yitzchak? I'm looking into different options for my son for next year. He will be kindergarden age. Any info about the kind of kids that go there? What type of school is it?
Thanks

Last edited by tobehonest on Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:02 pm
It's a Chassidish school for moderately MO people who romanticize the Chassidish lifestyle. It started out for people who wanted a Rav Kook/Breslov style school but is becoming a regular Chassidish Cheder. They teach in Yiddish, the boys wear long peyos, and the general studies level is very low.

Last I've heard, the boys weren't playing ball anymore.

Last edited by Maya on Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:06 pm
Who is the founder / principal?

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:14 pm
I dont have personal experience with the school, but this is what I know about it: It's kind of like a mix of types. It's small and warm, kind of like cheder-style. English department not as strong as other local yeshivos. Its like a mix of some Shar Yoshuv parents, some heimish parents, and some litvish/yeshivish parents who just like the idea of a small yeshiva.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:18 pm
Maya wrote:
It's a Chassidish school for moderately MO people who romanticize the Chassidish lifestyle. It started out for people who wanted a Rav Kook/Breslov style school but is becoming a regular Chassidish Cheder. They teach in Yiddish, the boys wear long peyos, and the general studies level is very low.

I just googled it.
Is this the same Siach Yitzchok that you are referring to?

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:23 pm
cnc wrote:
I just googled it.
Is this the same Siach Yitzchok that you are referring to?

?

tobehonest

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:27 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the responses. We are Chabad. Just wondering if my son would fit in.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:34 pm
Maya wrote:
?

Whoops! !

https://siachyitzchok.org/

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:36 pm
tobehonest wrote:
OP here. Thanks for all the responses. We are Chabad. Just wondering if my son would fit in.

I would imagine he may fit in well. As I understand it, Siach is a mix, not one specific type- I don't see why your son wouldn't fit in there. Like I said, I think they have some heimishe, some yeshivish/litvish, some Shar Yoshuv.... Maybe go down and meet the administration.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:40 pm
cnc wrote:
Whoops! !

https://siachyitzchok.org/

I don't know. There is no identifying information on that page, but I'd say yes if I had to guess.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:40 pm
gold21 wrote:
I would imagine he may fit in well. As I understand it, Siach is a mix, not one specific type- I don't see why your son wouldn't fit in there. Like I said, I think they have some heimishe, some yeshivish/litvish, some Shar Yoshuv.... Maybe go down and meet the administration.

I agree.

tobehonest

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:30 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. Will definitely give them a call and meet the administration.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:42 am
My son went to siach yitzchok for a few years, ans he was the only chasidish boy in the school. (as far I knew) The rebbis were mostly chasidish. But all the boys where very yeshivish yekish.. Very far from chasidish. The learning was done in english only. Kria was not chasidish.
My son actually had a hard time with the reading kria when he transitioned to chasidish school.
The parent body was not MO but very yeshivish. And some MO

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:02 am
Rabbi Citnick is the menahel there....my nephews go there and they wear their peyos behind their ears, so dont know about the long curly peyos thing that was mentioned. My brother and sister in law are very happy with the school....the rebbes are chasiddish but they dont even speak yiddish after a certain age....it's a mix...similar to Bais Dovid in Monsey

preempservices

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:16 am
Maya wrote:

Sorry Maya, they no longer teach in Yiddish. We are litvish and sent 2 sons there, neither of whom wore curly peyos. My 2 nephews who currently attend to not wear curly peyos either.

Definitely a chassidish bent to their chinuch, but both my sons went on to mainstream litvish high schools.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:21 am
preempservices wrote:
Sorry Maya, they no longer teach in Yiddish. We are litvish and sent 2 sons there, neither of whom wore curly peyos. My 2 nephews who currently attend to not wear curly peyos either.

Definitely a chassidish bent to their chinuch, but both my sons went on to mainstream litvish high schools.

Do you see the word curly my post? I didn't say they wear curly peyos, just longer than the average kid in the Five Towns.

I'm surprised they stopped teaching in Yiddish. Maybe there weren't enough kids who were understanding it?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:24 am
preempservices wrote:

This is what I was going to say. It is a cheder TYPE of school, but not a cheder.
Also, the preschool, reishis chachma, is different than the elementary school. Many people send to reishis chachma for preschool and then switch to another school.

wantavaca

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 12:55 pm
I send there now... We are very normal frum heimish. If that makes sense to anybody lol.From Brooklyn originally.
We love the yeshiva. It's very warm and small. The rebbeim give the children a bren and gishmak for yiddishkeit!

My little boy says tehillim in his bed and reads from Chumash before he goes to bed every night:))))😍 I give them all the credit:)

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:02 pm
I was laughing as I read the beginning....(I don not send there but I grew up in FR and lots of relatives send there)
It was founded by Rabbi Shlomo Freifeld who also started Yeshivas Shor Yoshuv and Tapeinu-which is now called Bnos Bais Yakov. (Today they don't have anything to do with eachother as they are all individually ran.)
The principal is Rabbi Dovid Sitnick who became chassidish but totally normal.
They never taught in yiddish but they would say "Vayomer-v'er hut gezukt" that was the extent of yiddish!
They def play games and sports but not emphasis. Most of the kids do not attend little leagues although some do.
Years back it was the "no tv school".
The rabbeim are chassidish but the kids are not. Many of the kids have small peyos behind the ears. It's a lot of the original Shor Yoshuv families and some of the Shor Yoshuv graduates. I would not call them MO at all. Maybe there are some who are a bit more modern/breslovy but not the norm at all. Maybe a handful of BT parents who went to Shor Yoshuv. In general it is the more yeshivish school. The kids go on to regular HS. If a kid is naturally a good student will do fine. Not really much of a resource room.
Today there are more parents sending there because of the warm small place that it is.
Good luck with your decisions!

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
I was laughing as I read the beginning....(I don not send there but I grew up in FR and lots of relatives send there)
It was founded by Rabbi Shlomo Freifeld who also started Yeshivas Shor Yoshuv and Tapeinu-which is now called Bnos Bais Yakov. (Today they don't have anything to do with eachother as they are all individually ran.)
The principal is Rabbi Dovid Sitnick who became chassidish but totally normal.
They never taught in yiddish but they would say "Vayomer-v'er hut gezukt" that was the extent of yiddish!
They def play games and sports but not emphasis. Most of the kids do not attend little leagues although some do.
Years back it was the "no tv school".
The rabbeim are chassidish but the kids are not. Many of the kids have small peyos behind the ears. It's a lot of the original Shor Yoshuv families and some of the Shor Yoshuv graduates. I would not call them MO at all. Maybe there are some who are a bit more modern/breslovy but not the norm at all. Maybe a handful of BT parents who went to Shor Yoshuv. In general it is the more yeshivish school. The kids go on to regular HS. If a kid is naturally a good student will do fine. Not really much of a resource room.
Today there are more parents sending there because of the warm small place that it is.
Good luck with your decisions!

I was also under the impression that this is the way it is.
I know some Talmidim of Rabbi Friefeld and none of them are remotely MO.

I googled the name and more than one siach yitzchok appeared. Possibly, Maya was referring to a different one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics