Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Online shaitel course??

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:10 pm
Any such thing? Here's the thing, I'd love to help my husband by bringing in a better Parnassa. I wouldn't mind doing shaitels/makeup but I don't want to do a whole schooling thing that takes a year or two where you learn a whole bunch of unrelated stuff. I wanna learn wash and sets (to begin with), and perhaps even makeup. Where I live, no-one gives courses like these, ppl who do it have gone out of town (lol, by out of town I mean ny/nj!) for 2 months, but I just can't do that! I work full time and just can't. Any ideas? Is there any such thing as courses online?

spring13

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:36 pm
I doubt you can learn such a hands-on skill without actual hands-on training. See if there's a beauty school in your area with evening classes?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:32 pm
I love these videos.

https://youtu.be/qT5q_py6Lpw

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:35 pm
So I thought of evening classes, but truthfully all of these beauty schools here you have to do nail courses, skin care, cutting hair, I just wanna start of with wash and sets!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:38 pm
Shaitle macher here: There is nothing like learning in person. You are playing with very expensive wigs, and if you burn it [which will take about a half a second if you don't follow every rule] you will need to replace it which will cost thousands of dollars and make woman very unhappy. In some areas, there are not short cuts. The problem with the online hair tutorials on youtube is that with wigs you need to be much more careful than with hair. No, it is not rocket science, but yes, you need to learn from someone who really knows what they are doing in person.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:59 am
Look for a barbering course.
In beauty schools they use mannequin heads with long hair for practice. I spent my first month just practicing cutting in a straight line.
These are about $25 or so each. You cut 1/2" at a time. After mastering the basic cuts, you move to the different types of layers and so on. In between you can do styling. Having full control of the hair, blow dryer, comb and spritz bottle takes practice. Holding anything wrong can give you horrible cramps. After you get the technicalities mastered you have to work on speed.
You can learn this online, but there is nothing like in person instruction.
Look for an inexpensive g*yishe beauty school with open hours in your vicinity. They can teach you all the basics, then you'll only need a sheitel marcher to teach you how to convert your skills for sheitels.
I took a barbering course at a place where most of the students were Vietnamese. For a while I was the only white American there. It was cheap, but I learned well. They had cosmetology which included:cutting, styling, dying, perms, coloring, facials and manicure.
I took barbering since it only included cutting, styling and shaving. (Which I use to trim DH's beard!)

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:18 am
Don't rely on a beauty course, because shaitel care is different than regular hair. Like amother said, you risk ruining someone's expensive shaitel. For example, you can't put conditioner on the scalp because the hairs might loosen. And you need to wash it on the head - and learn how to keep it in place with a clamp and pins, etc.

But maybe you would consider a mini course. I've seen such courses around Lakewood. It's two sessions and you learn basic wash and set and a little styling. I wonder if you need more extensive training - like how to cut - if you can ask to be taught one-on-one how to do this, so it doesn't take more than a few days. I'm not a shaitel macher, so I can't say for sure what will work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics