Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what age did your baby learn to smile?

At what age did your baby learn to smile?
less than 4 weeks old  
 29%  [ 29 ]
4 weeks  
 20%  [ 20 ]
5 weeks  
 13%  [ 13 ]
6 weeks  
 17%  [ 17 ]
7 weeks  
 6%  [ 6 ]
8 weeks  
 8%  [ 8 ]
after 8 weeks  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 99

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:10 pm
At what age did your baby learn to smile? Just wondering what is average, and how common it is to start late.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:11 pm
My earliest one was at 4 weeks exactly; the others were somewhere around 5-7 weeks.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:30 pm
9-12 unless you include the relaxed newborn twitch of a smile.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:42 pm
It depends on how you define "smile".

DD was always very amused with herself, and smiled often and early, but for no real reason that I could discern.

At 3 months exactly, I got her first total eye contact, directed right at me, great big grin. Very Happy I'll never forget it! From then on, she was very interactive, with lots of smiles and giggles that were social, and not just from gas, etc.

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 3:07 pm
My babies were all overdue. My babies that were overdue 7 days or more smiled within 48 hours. No I'm not imagining. My last baby I have a pic where he's very up and alert and gave me this huge yummy smile 14 hrs after birth.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 4:03 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My babies were all overdue. My babies that were overdue 7 days or more smiled within 48 hours. No I'm not imagining. My last baby I have a pic where he's very up and alert and gave me this huge yummy smile 14 hrs after birth.
That's gas, not a real smile.

If I remember correctly, my first 4 kids started at 4 weeks. Now my little one just smiled 7 times today, at 6 weeks old. I thought he was late, but I guess not.

potatoes

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 4:06 pm
My baby was real early, 2.5 weeks. No not gas, obvious response of a smile. It happened at the dr office at 3 weeks old, he was like "is that a 3 week old smiling at me?!?"

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 4:07 pm
My kids smiled right away, dd at day one and the others at abt day three. And it wasn't gas as my babies bh weren't gassy. It was a soft smile.
a big smile with opened mouth they did at a few wks old, abt 3-6 wks

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:56 pm
three weeks

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:56 pm
I've had babies who smiled immediately, and some who smiled at 4-6 weeks.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 4:56 am
the world's best mom wrote:

If I remember correctly, my first 4 kids started at 4 weeks. Now my little one just smiled 7 times today, at 6 weeks old. I thought he was late, but I guess not.

Not true. My babies all smile at 10 days - 2 weeks, and it is a social smile. It is not random, it is in response to Mommy or other appropriate stimulus. And they keep on doing it from that point. And I have a bunch of kids KE"H and can say it about all of them.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:09 am
the world's best mom wrote:

I would have agreed with you, but my second gave my MIL a huge grin, repeatedly at just over 2 weeks. I didn't believe her until I saw it- a huge gummy grin, with eye contact, in response to her cooing/talking to him!
I had thought my first was early at 4 weeks but this guy is the smiliest baby ever!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Not true. My babies all smile at 10 days - 2 weeks, and it is a social smile. It is not random, it is in response to Mommy or other appropriate stimulus. And they keep on doing it from that point. And I have a bunch of kids KE"H and can say it about all of them.

Ditto.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 3:35 pm
My 6.5 week old didn't smile yet, and doesn't respond when I talk to him. And doesn't make eye contact yet. My older kids smiled at about 4 weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics