Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shells out of style?!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:31 pm
So, my cool sister just informed me shells are out of style?!
She claims you need to cover your arms with a blazer or cardigan, your neckline with a necklace or scarf, and it is only classy to wear shells if it is completely covered by another layer [like an all lace or all sheer shirt]. She also doesn't believe in the skirts under dresses thing, you need to properly add to the length. She said if I already have sweaters that are too low to wear without a shell I should put a button down under it or wear a scarf to cover the top.
Am I the only one that missed this newsflash? Is it really so un-classy to have your shells show?

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:34 pm
I don't know where you're from, but I do keep up with the style and I wear shells.

and as far as I know shell station is still on business and ppl still buy shells to match their outfits.

lizard8

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:39 pm
I agree to the skirts under dresses, but not her opinion on shells. Shells shouldn't be worn as plain tops though.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
So, my cool sister just informed me shells are out of style?!
She claims you need to cover your arms with a blazer or cardigan, your neckline with a necklace or scarf, and it is only classy to wear shells if it is completely covered by another layer [like an all lace or all sheer shirt]. She also doesn't believe in the skirts under dresses thing, you need to properly add to the length. She said if I already have sweaters that are too low to wear without a shell I should put a button down under it or wear a scarf to cover the top.
Am I the only one that missed this newsflash? Is it really so un-classy to have your shells show?

This sounds like her opinion on class or business etiquette and not necessarily whats "in style". Scarves were in a few years ago but are pretty out now...

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
This sounds like her opinion on class or business etiquette and not necessarily whats "in style". Scarves were in a few years ago but are pretty out now...

Perhaps they're "out" in the frum world, but certainly not anywhere else.

OP, your sister is describing how I've been making my outfits tznius for as long as I can remember. I never liked the shell look, although I find it hard to believe that masses of people will quit wearing them now after they've all gotten used to it.

mommyofd1

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:41 pm
its true. it is considered very trendy/in not to have to wear a shell. its not that no one wears shells anymore its just that now people are looking for better necklines now or putting blouses under.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:52 pm
Frum fashion baffles me.

Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:01 pm
yksraya wrote:
I don't know where you're from, but I do keep up with the style and I wear shells.

and as far as I know shell station is still on business and ppl still buy shells to match their outfits.

But yet, at one point, they WILL go out of style, like everything else does eventually. And then all those stores will have to go out of business.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:08 pm
does anyone remember when we wore 'silk knit' sweaters instead of shells?

I always wondered how they disappeared and the shells came in.

I guess shells will leave us too ...but they are still here, to be worn under clothing.

NurseK

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:18 pm
It definitely looks better to not wear a shell although I think even the trendiest of the trendy people still have to sometimes wear them. In my opinion a white or black shell under any colored top detracts a bit from the outfit, especially for shabbos/fancy. If lets say you have a burgundy short sleeved dress and you get the exact same color burgundy shell to peak out a tiny bit on the arms, that generally looks much better. I always am on the lookout for tops and sweaters that dont require a shell!

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:21 pm
I agree with your cool sister, but obviously what is in varies by locale. My personal opinion is that a white sheloves under a black dress makes it look like a little girl wearing a jumper. A shell that matches your top is better, and skirt shells I don't like ever.

Scarves are timeless imo.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
does anyone remember when we wore 'silk knit' sweaters instead of shells?

I always wondered how they disappeared and the shells came in.

I guess shells will leave us too ...but they are still here, to be worn under clothing.

Yes! Boy, do I miss those! They looked great alone, with just a scarf and belt.

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:28 pm
I don't feel like a shell is a style - it's more like an accessory to make tznius more convenient.

Depending how it's worn, it can look good and barely noticeable because it just goes with the look. But sometimes it doesn't look so good, maybe a little awkard.

And even if it's not a perfect look, some people prefer convenience over fashion.

Machel

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:39 pm
My friend was telling me this recently as well, and I really admire her and everyone else who can dress tzniusly without wearing shells, but I am a little fashioned challenged so I can pull together a nice look with shells. I think its a trend and as long as you are comfortable and confident in what you are wearing, the rest is just extra

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:42 pm
I don't own a shell and I dress modestly. Dislike the shell look so if it's in its way out, I welcome that

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:06 pm
Orchid wrote:
But yet, at one point, they WILL go out of style, like everything else does eventually. And then all those stores will have to go out of business.

No they will manufacture blouses because that is what is "in" to wear now...

spring13

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:09 pm
I think very obvious shells aren't so "in," like just wearing a sleeveless top or dress over one. They certainly have their place in the frum wardrobe though.

I work in a non-Jewish place and wear a lot of layers, including scarves and cardigans, so that the tzniusness of my clothing is less dramatically noticeable. I wear shells to fill in necklines and occasionally elbows, but I try to make the colors blend in as much as possible. I don't try quite as hard when I'm around all frum people though.

Whoever said scarves aren't in must be talking about some specific Jewish neighborhood where everyone is very hung up on wearing the latest frum-specific trends, because otherwise they're everywhere. It's true that higher necklines are pretty common in non-Jewish stores right now.

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:12 pm
Orchid wrote:

yeah it might go out of style. So far am happy it's still in as am very skinny and blouses/blazers don't suit me.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:14 pm
spring13 wrote:
I think very obvious shells aren't so "in," like just wearing a sleeveless top or dress over one. They certainly have their place in the frum wardrobe though.

I work in a non-Jewish place and wear a lot of layers, including scarves and cardigans, so that the tzniusness of my clothing is less dramatically noticeable. I wear shells to fill in necklines and occasionally elbows, but I try to make the colors blend in as much as possible. I don't try quite as hard when I'm around all frum people though.

Whoever said scarves aren't in must be talking about some specific Jewish neighborhood where everyone is very hung up on wearing the latest frum-specific trends, because otherwise they're everywhere. It's true that higher necklines are pretty common in non-Jewish stores right now.

Scarves are not "in" in frum fashion... They are worn elsewhere. In frum fashion, they would be worn with a plain belted dress or maybe long simple top but they are not worn nearly as much in frum fashion... My non Jewish coworkers wear infiniti scarves or the like much more...

boymom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:14 pm
Maya wrote:
Frum fashion baffles me.

in what way?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics