Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shells out of style?!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Liebs

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:32 pm
yksraya wrote:
I don't know where you're from, but I do keep up with the style and I wear shells.

and as far as I know shell station is still on business and ppl still buy shells to match their outfits.

And they had new colors too this season...and in Lakewood/Brooklyn and Monsey they had plenty of tops that had to be worn with shells.
Honestly I wouldn't mind no shells cuz adds money to every outfit!!

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:48 pm
I don't own any shells either. The one time I borrowed and wore one (cause someone gave me a strappy dress that I wanted to try out), I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'd rather have that dress hang in my closet and never wear it than put on a shell ever again.

spring13

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
Scarves are not "in" in frum fashion... They are worn elsewhere. In frum fashion, they would be worn with a plain belted dress or maybe long simple top but they are not worn nearly as much in frum fashion... My non Jewish coworkers wear infiniti scarves or the like much more...

Yeah, that's part of why I like wearing them to work. I have loads for tichel purposes already, they help mask the shell at my neckline while making my outfit more interesting and trendy, and they help me blend in more in general. Draws the attention away from my hairline!

Frum fashion these days - crop tops anyone? - isn't really flattering on me, luckily I rock the dress/cardigan thing pretty well. More my style anyway.

bigblueyes

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 5:09 am
Shells are like tights...I dont think they will ever go out of style bc they are necessary for alot of us. And so much more comfy than a blouse. I am very on trend and while I dont think an obvious shell look is in, there is no reason to go crazy layering it up w blouses and blazers!

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 5:36 am
boymom wrote:
in what way?

Things which are considered timeless in the rest of the world, like blazers and scarves, have their periods of in and out in the frum world. It's so ridiculous that it's funny.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:58 am
It's definitely trendier (and much nice looking, in my opinion) not to wear a shell, but it's really hard to find proper necklines. Even when you do find a good neckline, oftentimes the material is loose or easily stretched and will stretch out throughout the day or when holding a child etc
I like the no shell look, but unfortunately I'll have to stick with shells for now

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:25 am
sequoia wrote:
I don't own any shells either. The one time I borrowed and wore one (cause someone gave me a strappy dress that I wanted to try out), I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'd rather have that dress hang in my closet and never wear it than put on a shell ever again.

The modal shells at Shell Station feel like you're barely wearing anything.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:33 am
I like the no shell look but I hate the way it feels. Shells are soft, comfy and give you a greater range of movement. I always feel stiff and constricted in button down blouses, blazers or pencil skirts. I have never voluntarily worn a button down blouse in my life. I wore them in school because I had to and haven't worn one since I graduated 9.5 years ago.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:45 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Shells are soft, comfy and give you a greater range of movement.

This sums up why I love shells. Mine are not going out any time soon.

Agree that no one is wearing the skirt-under-tunic look anymore - instead, you add on fabric to lengthen the dress.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:49 am
If she'll station is going out of business I better stock up. There is no way no how I am going back to shirts under sweaters after being liberated from them.

nyer1

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:59 am
I don't think shells are out of style, but I don't see many people wearing ike, a short sleeve top with a long sleeve shell anymore. I see more like, boat neck or scoop or v-neck tops with a sleeveless shell underneath. also more popular is a shell with a cardigan or blazer, like you mentioned.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:09 am
nyer1 wrote:
I don't think shells are out of style, but I don't see many people wearing ike, a short sleeve top with a long sleeve shell anymore. I see more like, boat neck or scoop or v-neck tops with a sleeveless shell underneath. also more popular is a shell with a cardigan or blazer, like you mentioned.

Well...that's because the weather got colder in New York. LOL

wiki

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:19 am
It also seems like maybe shells are going back to the fashion function they had before the long-sleeved shell craze started some, oh, 8 or 9 years ago--which was to fill in necklines under blouses or v-necks. In this function, they're still totally useful.

SorGold

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:22 am
The shell under short sleeve shirt is out bu5 not under a sheer blouse or to raise a neckline... A blazer wont help with neckline and who is wearing a scarf in the summer??

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 11:05 am
A very lightweight scarf can look beautiful in the summer. I can't imagine it's much hotter than wearing a long sleeve shell. Those things are very non breathable.

Liveandlearn

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 11:08 am
I dont see them going out of style anytime soon, and I hope they don't

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 12:25 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
A very lightweight scarf can look beautiful in the summer. I can't imagine it's much hotter than wearing a long sleeve shell. Those things are very non breathable.

A white light weight 100% cotton 3/4 sleeved cropped top with a loose sleeveless light colored cotton top is the absolute coolest outfit.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
A white light weight 100% cotton 3/4 sleeved cropped top with a loose sleeveless light colored cotton top is the absolute coolest outfit.

A double layer? No, it isn't.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 12:57 pm
Maya wrote:
A double layer? No, it isn't.
The only part that is a double layer of 100% light weight cotton is an area the size of a sports bra. I can live with that.

Perhaps a light weight baseball jersey would be less, but I also don't like the cling of a t-shirt.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 7:12 pm
As others posted, they're only out under a short sleeved or sleeveless top. I still wear them with 3/4 sleeves as I like the look of long sleeves underneath (if I need to anyway wear a tee under bec of neckline or sheer). I like the gap body ones, they don't look so shell-y.

I agree about frum fashion being odd, but for me it's the full skirts that make people look 50 lbs heavier! I happen to be thin and look good in a lot of them, so j wear them, but overall I find that frum fashion is to wear what they feel is in in regardless of how bad they look. As thin as I am there are things I'd never wear because they don't look good on me. Everyone is convinced one thing is in style and must wear it. There are so many more flattering styles for people.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics