Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shells out of style?!
Previous  1  2  3

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
As others posted, they're only out under a short sleeved or sleeveless top. I still wear them with 3/4 sleeves as I like the look of long sleeves underneath (if I need to anyway wear a tee under bec of neckline or sheer). I like the gap body ones, they don't look so shell-y.

I agree about frum fashion being odd, but for me it's the full skirts that make people look 50 lbs heavier! I happen to be thin and look good in a lot of them, so j wear them, but overall I find that frum fashion is to wear what they feel is in in regardless of how bad they look. As thin as I am there are things I'd never wear because they don't look good on me. Everyone is convinced one thing is in style and must wear it. There are so many more flattering styles for people.

Yep case in point: very heavy ladies or women with varicose veins who insist on wearing nude tights

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:03 pm
I live in shells so comfortable - blouses don't stay put

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:28 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I like the no shell look but I hate the way it feels. Shells are soft, comfy and give you a greater range of movement. I always feel stiff and constricted in button down blouses, blazers or pencil skirts. I have never voluntarily worn a button down blouse in my life. I wore them in school because I had to and haven't worn one since I graduated 9.5 years ago.

I thought I was the only one! Button down shirts feel like straight jackets to me!

sequoia

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:30 pm
Is the choice between shells or button-down shirts? Why?

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:35 pm
No not really.... I'm not much of a shell wearer, but you couldn't pay me to wear anything with a button down shirt under it....

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 6:36 am
amother wrote:
So, my cool sister just informed me shells are out of style?!
She claims you need to cover your arms with a blazer or cardigan, your neckline with a necklace or scarf, and it is only classy to wear shells if it is completely covered by another layer [like an all lace or all sheer shirt]. She also doesn't believe in the skirts under dresses thing, you need to properly add to the length. She said if I already have sweaters that are too low to wear without a shell I should put a button down under it or wear a scarf to cover the top.
Am I the only one that missed this newsflash? Is it really so un-classy to have your shells show?

No way.

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:33 am
How recent is this "trend" I know on Sukkos I saw MANY MANY shells, many were under crop tops and you need to wear one under those. Is it b/c of the change of season? I know I went shopping in October/November, in not Jewish stores mind you, but I was having a hard time finding anything that didn't need a shell--either sheer or cotton material or sleeveless, I.e. not wintery. I'm not a size 2 so I can't shop in the frum stores.
I like the versatility of shells that I can make almost any outfit look for any season by changing the shell, or I can give a black top some color by adding a shell and colored jewelry.

Those who found it "suffocating"--maybe try a different material? There are a variety of materials for shells.

Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:29 am
Ok, so is it official? No shells under sleeveless tops? Like this?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....d%3D3

This stuff is important; I need to get this down pat!

shacn

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 6:21 am
I personally don't wear my shells to my necklines, I buy the ones that are a bit below the collar bone. But even when I have a shirt that happens to cover my collar bone I'm ALWAYS wearing a shell no matter what, it's like my tank top/undershirt and I don't ONLY wear it for tznius purposes. It ain't leaving my wardrobe so fast!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 8:53 am
shacn wrote:
I personally don't wear my shells to my necklines, I buy the ones that are a bit below the collar bone. But even when I have a shirt that happens to cover my collar bone I'm ALWAYS wearing a shell no matter what, it's like my tank top/undershirt and I don't ONLY wear it for tznius purposes. It ain't leaving my wardrobe so fast!

Which shells are less strangulating?

shacn

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 8:56 am
amother wrote:

I like the kikiriki low necks, again, they are definitely not for everyone as they don't cover the neckline, they're about an inch under.

cm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:12 am
amother wrote:

Esteez, Pea Bea and Jay (compared to Kiki Riki).

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:12 am
Good. I never liked the shell + short sleeves look.

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
As others posted, they're only out under a short sleeved or sleeveless top. I still wear them with 3/4 sleeves as I like the look of long sleeves underneath (if I need to anyway wear a tee under bec of neckline or sheer). I like the gap body ones, they don't look so shell-y.

I agree about frum fashion being odd, but for me it's the full skirts that make people look 50 lbs heavier! I happen to be thin and look good in a lot of them, so j wear them, but overall I find that frum fashion is to wear what they feel is in in regardless of how bad they look. As thin as I am there are things I'd never wear because they don't look good on me. Everyone is convinced one thing is in style and must wear it. There are so many more flattering styles for people.

yeah same here, I really like shopping (no don't just like- I love shopping!) and like to buy the latest styles, new stuff etc. However, if the specific style doesn't suit me I would never buy it. Like when tunics/dress over a skirt was in, it didn't suit me as am too short for it, so I didn't buy it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:32 am
Funny how people find shell necklines too tight. I find they stretch out too fast.

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:43 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Funny how people find shell necklines too tight. I find they stretch out too fast.

that depends on the neck size of the person. And regarding it stretching out to fast depends on quality of shell.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics