Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hat help

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:01 pm
I would like to start covering my hair with hats because I find sheitels uncomfortable and tichels are not considered professional in my workplace. They said a beret style is OK.

I don't get out and around much and have no idea what types of hats are reasonably in style, look normal, comfortable, and effectively cover hair. I am makpid to cover all hair as much as possible.

I also don't want to spend too much. I am hoping I can get a couple of basics that will go with most of my wardrobe.

Please share links and suggestions so I can have some idea of what to look for when I go shopping. Would also like ideas of where in Brooklyn I can find this type of headwear for good prices. Or an online place if they allow free returns so I can try on and not lose money if it isn't comfortable.

Thanks!

Am amother because I posted about this in a different thread in which I shared a lot of personal info as amother, and I don't want that in my name now.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:43 pm
bump

2cents

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:02 am
Leggacy on ave j used to carry hats, but stopped. I went in there 2 months ago, and the sales lady redirected me to a Chinese store on ave m btw ocean ave and east 19. I found some very cute hats there.

You can also try Cheryls on ave j and (apx) east 14, but their nicer hats are very expensive.

Another option is to go hunting in stores that cater to church-going African Americans. Obviously, not all the hats you'll find there will be work appropriate, but often you can find a basic black one. I've had good luck at burlington coat factory, as well as some random stores on Flatbush ave.

One tip is to wear either a wig cap, or my personal preference, a spandex hair cap (these are marketed to black men, kind of like a doo-rag) under your hat to keep your hair and hat in place, to help give the hat a smoother shape and a more professional look (no fly aways).

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:52 am
I like these cotton hats.

When I worked in a professional office, I got a black and a navy hat for winter. For summer I had lighter cottons in black, navy, white and beige. That covered pretty much everything.
I did find some of them didn't have perfect coverage, so I had a cotton headwrap in black and navy to wear under them, and that took care of the payos/nape of neck pretty well.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:57 am
So this was cute: one hat had a large bow in front, too much for me. But when I took it off I was left with two slits, basically buttonholes.

So I took some fabric and sewed on two buttons and that was what you saw on the front of the hat, the fabric was inside & the buttons occupied the buttonholes, if you can follow me.

So I could customize the hat according to my outfit. Gold buttons, silver buttons, I think I even had some interesting colors.

But I do think the stores aren't carrying so much in the hat department. Try myheadcoverings.com

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:47 pm
Thanks for the tips.
How much should I expect to have to spend on this? I'm getting some sticker shock looking around the web... is there a cheap place to get a cap to go under the hat to hold my hair in? Or is $6 about normal (myheadcoverings.com)?

I think the cotton ones linked above look cute, but $26 each?! Whoa I was not expecting that for something that looks so simple.

Help! Where else should I look if I don't want to spend a fortune? If online, must offer a reasonable return policy in case it doesn't look/fit as expected in person.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 6:35 am
Google Parkhurst hats. They are not cheap but they are extremely well made and will last forever without getting stretched out. Wear a wig grip underneath to keep the wisps in and to keep the hat from sliding. They have so many cute colors and styles to choose from! Sometimes I can find them on Ebay if I'm willing to buy last season's style or color, and the price is better.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
I would like to start covering my hair with hats because I find sheitels uncomfortable and tichels are not considered professional in my workplace. They said a beret style is OK.

I don't get out and around much and have no idea what types of hats are reasonably in style, look normal, comfortable, and effectively cover hair. I am makpid to cover all hair as much as possible.

I also don't want to spend too much. I am hoping I can get a couple of basics that will go with most of my wardrobe.

Please share links and suggestions so I can have some idea of what to look for when I go shopping. Would also like ideas of where in Brooklyn I can find this type of headwear for good prices. Or an online place if they allow free returns so I can try on and not lose money if it isn't comfortable.

Thanks!

Am amother because I posted about this in a different thread in which I shared a lot of personal info as amother, and I don't want that in my name now.

If the only type of hat acceptable in your workplace is a beret, then doesn't that help you narrow things down a bit? You can find berets in any department store or hat store. Try on things and see what fits you best. Berets are generally not expensive.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:05 am
You might find a natural-looking synthetic sheitel more comfortable than the human hair kind. The synthetics are much lighter in weight.

They are capless and have open holes in them, under the hair, so they breathe. One does wear them with a wig cap. But it is a very different thing entirely from a human hair one. It is an entirely different construction.

The cost is not much, fifty dollars approximately. There are different sizes and they can be made looser or tighter. The hair can be very realistic.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:12 am
I did not say beret is the only acceptable type, just that it IS acceptable. I wasn't sure at first if that is any better than a tichel. Personally I feel that I look more professional in a well-done tichel than a beret, but whatever.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 11:09 am
How about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....r+hat

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:26 pm
I don't think that particular one is for me but thanks for the idea, I didn't even think of looking on Amazon!
I wore my sheitel rather uncomfortably today. Looked pretty good but argh.
And last night I just bit the bullet and ordered about $60 worth of headwear from myheadcoverings.com, hoping for the best, it needs to look decent, be comfortable, and cover approximately all of my hair.
I noticed no other hats in the building as far as I could see today.
Sigh.
I hate not fitting in but I just don't think I can cope with the hair thing for the long term.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:36 pm
Someone in my community makes really nice custom berets and hats. She ships anywhere and the prices are in the $20 dollar range I think. I never know if I should put peoples contact info out here but if you do Instagram she is Valeri's Boutique.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 5:56 pm
Here is a metziah - only it's mint green according to the description & looks more chartreuse in the picture. But under $13.

I like this idea of ebay & will save a search to look out for these hats.

You don't need a large wardrobe - a couple of basic colors should do it, as I noted above. Then, if you get into it and come across more interesting colors on sale, you can add to your collection!

Or - learn to crochet!

kb

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 6:03 pm
Other ideas...

Pony sheitel? Bob?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:09 am
Still need more ideas please... ordered a few from myheadcoverings.com but they are just not gonna work out.

The plain berets (very economical and good color selection...) look ridiculous on me, maybe I'm wearing it wrong, any advice?

The cloche/bucket type hat I really like the style but can't figure out how to make it fit over my pony. My pony, by the way, is almost nonexistent - I cut off everything except what I needed to hold the pony in because I wanted it to fit nicely under hats/sheitel. So any advice on how to wear these, or how to find/buy one that will fit on a person hoping to cover all hair with it? I see a lot of them for sale but afraid to order another and have the same problem.

Ordered one newsboy cap because it was on the cheaper side. Realized that although brown is a pretty neutral color, it doesn't actually go with anything I own. Besides, it's itchy. It's especially itchy when over my ears - I hate things that go over my ears - but looks ridiculous if I take my ears out, which I'm noticing is a problem with most hat-things.

Ordered an under-hat cap to help keep my hair in, it is one size fits all, and feels too tight. I do not have an especially large head (was always normal size when measured for graduation caps and the like)

from a different website I ordered a knit slouchy thing with a visor, not sure what you call it. It is black and it fits (somewhat loosely, which is a different kind of annoying to me) so I am wearing it practically every day. I feel like a nerd for wearing the same thing every day. Also, it is quite warm. And not as itchy as the lighter-weight newsboy cap but still kind of tickly.

There is also the issue of escaping hairs. I am not worried about this from a tznius perspective, I have been taught that little flyaways are not a problem. BUT they LOOK horrible! I feel like I always look messy! I am wearing one of those velvet headband things which helped somewhat with tichels (which I guess the tichel itself helped hold hair in or cover some escapees) but somehow with the hats I always have hair sticking out in back. UGH.

I feel somewhat doomed and need HELP! I am really a tichel person but have been advised not to wear tichels in my specific workplace due to some prejudice going on.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:29 am
Gel might help tame the little fly-away hairs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics