Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Too Sensitive for a 12 year old

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 5:42 am
My daughter is very sensitive and takes everything to heart. It's so bad that it affects her social life in school which is non existing. She takes every comment to heart and it causes her to cry and be upset. Which in turn makes it more difficult because her classmates make comments about her crying for everything as she is over bas mitzvah.

She does get social help in school but its so deep in her that it's not to helpful.
How can I get her to toughen up and not take everything to heart, how can I get her to stop crying for every little things and comment's at home and in school.
I need advice and tips what we can do at home as a family.

She feels alone and relies always just on one girl as friend and if they need some space or want so time with other girls then she feels let down and alone.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:20 am
I don't know if you can teach her not to take everything to heart but you can help her learn to respond more age appropriately. Explain that as we grow older there are social expectations for how people manage their emotions. At her age, it will attract negative attention to cry every time she feel upset. But she has rights to her feelings, so what you can do is buy her a special notebook that she can take with her to school, and when something upsetting happens, she can write down her feelings in the notebook. In the same way that she would keep her writings private and not display her notebook, she can keep her feelings private and not always display them. But please do not tell her that she is too sensitive. It will just make her feel worse and be counterproductive.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:48 am
I like your notebook idea. Will suggest it to her.

JMM-uc

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:51 am
That was me as a kid!

How about play therapy? Or having mommy time just for her 30 minutes a day? If she enjoys writing, you can get her a cute diary with a lock etc

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 6:10 am
Any other ideas I can try as well?

STMommy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:28 am
Hi OP,
please do yourself and your daughter a favor and google "Highly Sensitive Person" as well as the work of Elaine Aron.
You might also want to order "Parenting the Highly Sensitive Child": http://www.amazon.com/Parentin.....66925
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)