Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Kemp Mill Silver Spring

coffeecup

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 4:30 am
Hello!
My husband and I are moving back to the US after a number of years in Israel. We are modern orthodox (I am a pants/shorts - wearing / non-head-covering woman).
We are in search of a down to earth, non-judgmental community where we and our children will feel at home.
Searches have directed us to Silver Spring (as well as to Bergen County, NJ & Livingston, NJ).
The Berman school seems like it would be the right fit for us. We are just curious to learn more about the shul options. It appears as though Kemp Mill Syanagogue is the only logical choice for us, but we are afraid that it is too big, and if we feel lost there, that there are no other options (except for places more to the right).
If anyone could share observations about the level of diversity in the Kemp Mill community, that would be very helpful!
Thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 5:06 am
Hi! I grew up there, though I made aliyah about a decade ago. Be aware that MJBHA alumni have a high aliyah rate! It's an amazing school, with a lot of emphasis on derech eretz and Zionism.

KMS probably is the best fit for you these days if you want to be in Kemp Mill, but have you considered Potomac? There are probably more women there who dress as you do, though KMS certainly has as well.

Someone who's lived there more recently can probably help you more.

ShoshLay

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 3:03 pm
Would you consider Harrisburg? We are a very down-to-earth community, smallish but growing. As a smaller community, all our different "religious styles' comfortably coexist together (hat, wig, no fair cover, pants,skirts, and so on). We all eat together; our kids play together. Our day school excels at offering personalized learning. This is not a materialistic community; kids grow up here with wonderful middot. Some of the kids have grown up and make aliyah; some are Mod Orth; some are Hareidi; some are professionals in the Orthodox sector. I say our community is cohesive and inclusive. We feature the full range of Jewish institutions, and have the amenities needed for Orthodox lives.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 9:39 pm
**bump

familyfirst

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 11:52 pm
Chabad of silver spring is comprised primarily of modern orthodox congregants such as yourself. Very diverse, warm, smaller and more haimish than kms, very professional day camp, preschool and community programming. Definitely something to look into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating