Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can toddlers play by themselves without you there?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:16 pm
I have 2 toddlers ages 2 and 3. I want to know the following things:
1) Can toddlers play by themselves without being entertained?
2) Do you need to constantly be watching them or can they be in one room and you in another room? Do you need to be there with them all the time?
3) What kind of things can they do on their own to play?
4) If they fight with each other (2 year old hits 3 yr old or grabs 3 yr old toy), do you interfere or let them work it out on their own?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 2:53 pm
1&2- You don't need to play with them constantly, but they need to be supervised. I personally wouldn't leave kids that age unsupervised at all (even when they're asleep, I'm nervous). Look up the various threads on here about kids who cut their own or siblings' hair, if you need an example of what kids that age can get into. They can get into much more dangerous stuff, too- they're old enough to get through just about any kind of childproofing if left alone with it for enough time.

3- house, dolls, puzzles, coloring, blocks, duplos, etc

4- I'd definitely interfere for hitting, probably for the grabbing scenario also if someone starts crying.

little_mage

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 3:01 pm
I think it depends on a couple of factors. I let my children (2 and 4) play in one room while I'm in another, though. As for your first question, they absolutely are capable of it. Can your children amuse themselves while you read a book or something in the same room? I'd start with that.
My children play with puzzles, duplos, wooden trains/tracks, dolls...really anything that they'd play with.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 3:05 pm
Assuming the room is safe, I let them play without always making my presence known. Being in an ajoining room, within earshot... It's good for a child to be able to entertain themselves. If I'm not there, they generally play better, less fighting and bothering.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:45 pm
My kids K"h are 1 and 3 and yes the play alone and have been for a while. My house is child proof B"H I don't leave the house but if I am doing something in the kitchen they can do what they want where they want. The bathroom is locked all my kitchen cabinets are locked and the knives etc. are out of reach.

If I hear the baby crying I run and make sure the big one is not hurting him. Cuz he occasionally will sit on the baby etc.

At times they ask me to play with them but in general they find things to play with lego's books etc. They pay for short periods and come to find me in between.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:13 am
It's a personality thing.
At 2 and 3, I think I would let them play together alone only for very short periods of time when they're in a good mood and haven't been fighting lately.
I would definitely let one play alone in a safe place while I am within earshot with the other one or the other one is sleeping.
I think when they are 2 together there is the likelihood of doing something to each other, while when it's one toddler alone and they are playing busily and in a safe room, I don't have as much to worry about.
You don't need to be there with them Every Second but don't leave them for much longer than that - don't get busy Doing something elsewhere, but you can dash to the kitchen to drain the macaroni and be back within a minute or two.

Things my kids have enjoyed playing independently at 2-3 years old:
dollhouse/menchies
play dough
dolls with play food/dishes/etc
duplo - depending which kid and went in and out of favor
coloring. My kids both loved LOTS of coloring. I'm lucky like that; I know a lot of kids don't find it that engaging.
Potato head
Right now my 3-year-old likes to play with my 5-year-old's games when she's not around but that isn't exactly normal toddler entertainment Tongue Out
Oh, those Melissa and Doug sticker books that are really reusable clings not stickers. They LOVE that.

Definitely get involved when they fight, at this age they need to be taught the skills how to successfully handle conflicts of interest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics