Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Applying for Camp! First time!!! Machenainu/Baisanu vs Tubby

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 2:59 pm
I'm actually graduating to sending my daughter to camp. I'm just about 30 so I have to get used to the idea lol but everybody is telling me that I need to apply by Chanuka (Rolling Eyes Yeah, I know).

So we are an unaffiliated and grounded Chassidish family. My girls to go an unaffiliated Chassidishe school and then to a more Yeshivishe based summer program.

We are thinking of Camp Beisainu aka Machaneinu or Camp Tubby, or if anyone has other similar suggestions. Could be more Chassidishe based or Yeshivish based.

Please help this first time mother, who feels like she barely graduated camp, to send her daughter off to camp.

Thanks ladies.

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:46 pm
Can she ask her classmates or summer program friends or neighbors where they are going? I think for the first year of camp it's important for her to go with at least 1 person she's friends with.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:49 pm
Yes, that's true.

I just wouldn't mind getting info on the camps meanwhile.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:58 pm
My info might be a couple of years out of date but here's what I know:
Machaneinu is for the most part a chassidish camp. Most girls come from chassidish homes, counselors/staff chassidish, etc.
Tubby is definitely not chassidish. While there are some chassidish campers, the staff and most of the campers are Yeshivish.

I don't know much about the activities/structure of Machaneinu, but Tubby is a very strict camp. All activities are mandatory and they have a lot of rules. If she is looking for a more chilled out environment or has a hard time following the rules I would not recommend Tubby.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:31 am
By now, Tubby has a lot of chassidish girls.

Machaneinu is more chilled than Tubby structure-wise, but has very strict tznius rules. (Nightgowns, avoid long skirts, collars, etc.) The yeshivish girls I know who went there did not like the rules and left when they got the chance, because they felt very restricted. But for chassidish girls it's great, because it still is less stringent than the other chassidish camps and there's a lot more variety among the girls. It's also much more simple than the average chassidish camp in regards to brand name pressures and appearance.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:57 am
I went to Tubby for five years and then Machaneinu for three.
When I was there Machaneinu was not very chassidish. There were many BY, YOB girls etc... I heard they have become more chassidish in later years. From what I hear Tubby attracts mostly a Lakewood crowd these days.

Tubby has a much better program but is very structured. When I was there, there was absolutely no free time. For example curfew was 15 minutes after night activity ended. There is no calling parents or going off camp grounds. I felt like I was in prison.
Then I went to Machaneinu . The program was more simple as compared to Tubby and it was less structured. I was much happier there. There was an hour in between the ending of night activity and curfew. My age groups used to form their own volleyball game etc in our free time.

Also, Machaneinu is a much warmer camp. The head staff is approachable of there are any issues. In Tubby it's not like that.

If your daughter absolutely needs to be occupied for every minute of the day and has groisa hasagos regarding the program then go for Tubby.
If she does well with less structure and is looking for a warmer place then that's Machaneinu.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children