Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Lakewooders; WHAT do you do when you CAN'T get a dr appt????
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:40 pm
Seriously. DS is screaming all day. I called Shanik's office and there were no appts left. They told me to call after 9 for the answering service to give me an appt for the next morning.. I'e been trying since 9 and got through at 9:28. NO APPOINTMENTS LEFT for tomorrow morning.
What am I to do? Anyone happy with any other dr? Some suggestions please...
Thanks!

moneyshouts

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:44 pm
We switch to a different practice! LOL

I'm at Dr. Indich and the issue you describe above you'll [/I]never run into. [/I]And the dr. and nurses/receptionists all know who you are.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:49 pm
Call tbe Tom's River,Howell or Brick branches of Pediatric affiliates. Or,I use Doctor Preshel. He and his PA are both able to see children as well as adults. Since I don't need a PCP ,I go wherever it's more convenient

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:51 pm
moneyshouts wrote:

I'm at Dr. Indich and the issue you describe above you'll [/I]never run into. [/I]And the dr. and nurses/receptionists all know who you are.

Do they take new patients? What's the #?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:53 pm
I also got frustrated and after a few times like what you had today I switched to chemed. They have good dr.'s.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:10 pm
put your name on a cancellation list. Usually that works. Also the morning appointments that are given away already are just for the first hour. If u call right away in the morning u will probably get a morning appointment.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:13 pm
If I call before lunch on a weekday I've never not had an appt the same day. Its more like when I call after 3:00 or its a weekend.
If you call at about 7:30 tomorrow morning (I think thats when they start taking new appts) you should get one at a decent time.

also, did you tell them it was an emergency and your kid wouldn't stop screaming. I can't believe they would tell you no then, When I thought it was urgent and there no appointments I've had the question desk tell me I can come in.

Many dr offices aren't even open until 9:00 pm on a Sunday afternoon. Growing up my pediatricians office was never open on the weekends. They took phone calls for emergencies only.

[I will admit the situation is a bit nuts]

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:23 pm
moneyshouts wrote:

Ditto to this

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Do they take new patients? What's the #?

yes and 732-730-9111

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 2:54 am
Glad I'm not the only one that goes nuts.
I've found that I can't ever get thru in morn (I use river ave office) but usually after 11 I can get thru and get afternoon apt.
In really bad sitch I call the toms river office and have had great service in and out.
I think part of the prob is that because there are so many non typical hours the society here brings kids to the doctor with every kvetch or cry.
I grew up going to the doc when genuinely sick and for well checkups.
It was closed nights and weekends and we waited till open if needed a doc.
I've noticed here that the second after shabbos every kid with a runny nose is in the waiting room, while my high fever sick child waits hours cuz of all the non emergency visits.
Who am I to judge though. I just feel like let your kid be a kid, give Tylenol of needed, and if you see your kid really sick and needs a doc for real then go. Maybe I'm wrong but in many cases the doc just says drink fluids and its just a cold and that's it so why bother the whole ordeal?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 6:16 am
I agree with Bitachon101 above that everyone brings their kid in for just a cold. However, I beleive that the reason is because many people are on Jersey Care and there is no copay or cost to them for going to the doctor. I have a $25-50 copay every time I go, so I only go when there is a real need.

Anon because I have discussed this with many people IRL.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
I agree with Bitachon101 above that everyone brings their kid in for just a cold. However, I beleive that the reason is because many people are on Jersey Care and there is no copay or cost to them for going to the doctor. I have a $25-50 copay every time I go, so I only go when there is a real need.

I can not agree more. If everyone in this town had a copay they would not be running to the Dr for every little thing.

I have discussed his with me mother. We only went to the Dr when we were sick and for a well visits and one of my neighbors seemed to be going every time they had a sore throught. As an adult she told me they probably had medicade and that is how they were able to go to the Dr for every sore throught.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:14 am
Its true.

I have a lot of family on Jersey Care with no co-pay. If one child is sick they take everyone just in case.
I have a $40 co-pay per child. I'm not running as fast.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:24 am
amother wrote:

You think you're the only one Smile ?

I have a copay every time (it varies based on my deductible being full, after which it's like 20% of the cost) but more than that, I don't run to the doctor every time because kids tend to be put on too much antibiotics if they keep going to the doctor. I'm not crunchy at all, but many childhood illnesses will go away on their own within 24 hours, no need to run to the doctor with a non-infant child.

Over the years I've developed this sixth sense, most of the time I can tell when my child needs to be seen vs. they just need a day at home with lots of rest and fluids. Last week my DD got strep and I knew it. I rarely take my kids for a culture that is not positive (and B"H my kids don't get it often).

Another point to consider is that your kids can get sick if you take them to the doctor too often, because they will catch stuff in the waiting room. This lesson was brought home to me last year when DD got strep the day after a well-visit - she likely caught it in the waiting room.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:26 am
My sister actually switched out of Dr Indich's practice to Dr Shanik because she did not like his bedside manner.

mommyla

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:31 am
True about the copays. I don't take the kids to the doctor unless they need to go - if it's "my stomach hurts" or a runny nose, I have the common sense to take care of it myself.

As for what to do about the crazy times - if your kid is really screaming all day, I find that you can usually finagle an appointment. Otherwise, if you want to go at a normal time of day, try the River Ave office or the Brick office (or Toms River, if that's closer for you).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:31 am
I use west park pediatrics for that reason and I'm very happy there! 732-370-8500

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:01 am
I agree that by shanik if your kid is really sick they will stick u in. It definitely also true that pple come for every little thing since theres no copay if on jerseycare.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:13 am
Change doctors for sure. I don't live in Lakewood and even I was able to get a sick kid in to be seen when visiting.
In the meantime if you feel there is something more urgent than a cold going on please take your kid to urgent care.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:22 am
Although there may be a co-pay issue - most mothers are very busy.
I usually will not shlep to the doctor for no reason if I can't wait and see.

With a baby - you can't see the ear infection etc - hence the need to come in.
Also, maybe younger less experienced mothers may run in more often too.

I usually will wait as an older child it's probably a virus and also strep never shows up right away in my children.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics