Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Lakewooders; WHAT do you do when you CAN'T get a dr appt????
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 8:43 am
amother wrote:
I'm the op. This was exactly my point. These Drs are amazing and dedicated but the overload is what's making it hard Sad That's why I asked WHAT do people do? We need more Drs but until then???

The schools should start encouraging their students to pursue professions, such as doctors. My excellent pediatrician in 5 towns was considering moving to Lakewood but decided against it, one of the reasons being that his son would be strongly encouraged to avoid going to college let alone med school.
That's the long term solution: start encouraging boys and girls to become doctors and the like.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Huh?? Lakewood is full of real good dedicated pediatricians - Dr. Shanik, Dr. Gittleman, Dr. Indich, Dr. Preschel, West Park, Dr. Hirsch, Dr. Fenster. The only thing people are complaining about is that they're too overloaded!! I don't think anyone questions their capabilities nor their dedication. We should certainly appreciate them!

I love this post.
Its really true. And there are other doctors as well (but I can't think of their names off the top of my head.)
Lakewood is really lucky to have such a set of dedicated drs that most people are so happy to use.
I've heard of many drs who take house calls on shabbos and yom tov, nights, give out their personal numbers.
I know were different doctors daven and their walks home from shul on shabbos and even if I don't use there they have been so incredibly helpful. (including GPs in this as well). [Oh boy, I sound like a stocker]

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 9:35 am
ITA with the post that we B"H have wonderful doctors here in Lakewood. I don't idolize Dr Shanik - I just feel he's a great doctor, diagnostician, Anav (have you ever been to his house sourstix? You should check it out and tell me if you know of any other doctors who live as simply, and open their house to the public - library in his basement - and take in foster children, etc.), etc.. and my kids have been in his practice for many years, so I have no experience with other doctors.

But have heard great things about some of the other doctors mentioned. Dr Hirsch is a close friend of a relative of mine, so I've met him on many family occasions - he's a real Anav, speaks from the heart. Dr Braverman saved my friend's baby's life, he lives in her neighborhood and was in the right place at the right time. I'm sure many people here could share similar experiences about other doctors here. I once spoke to Dr Fenster at 2 a.m. (when he was still in Shanik's practice) and he was as nice as could be.

OP I understand your frustration about appointments. Like all areas in Lakewood that involve children, there's B"H competition for every slot, so you have to learn to play the system - call early, be assertive when necessary, etc....

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 9:40 am
I rarely have trouble getting appointment. And when I did, it was because I called too late, which is reasonable.

But maybe because I'm usually willing to see anybody, PAs or whomever. Are you trying for Dr. Shanik himself?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:03 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I rarely have trouble getting appointment. And when I did, it was because I called too late, which is reasonable.

But maybe because I'm usually willing to see anybody, PAs or whomever. Are you trying for Dr. Shanik himself?

My frustration mounted when for 3 days in a row I couldn't get an appointment with ANYONE.

mommyla

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:58 pm
I saw Dr. Shanik this morning Very Happy - called at 8:30, got an 11 am appointment. No hassle. There was a long wait and I had to wait again for a throat culture, but I was out of there by noon. So one hour, including wait time and strep results (negative b"H!) - not bad!

AND the nurses all said it was a busy day, that Wednesdays are particularly busy. Go figure.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics