Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bridesmaids

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:02 am
Can someone please explain to me what bridesmaid are for? I never saw it in my circles but one of my relatives is getting married and is always talking about her bridesmaids and their gowns. Are they just good friends of the kallah? All your classmates? What do they do?

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:17 am
according to brides.com

Tradition: Having Bridesmaids

While they're invaluable for moral support, throwing awesome bachelorette parties, and helping you get in and out of your dress, bridesmaids used to have a far more serious role in the wedding: protecting the bride from evil spirits. Bridesmaids were originally directed to dress just like the bride, and this, says Blank, was "intended to confuse evil spirits or those who wished to harm the bride." (No matter how much you love them, or how many demons they saved you from, could you imagine taking your bridesmaids along on your very private, very intimate honeymoon? Nineteenth century couples did just that, according to historian Ginger Strand, taking along their whole wedding party on a "bridal tour"!)

=====

however, now a days, I see it as a way to honor your closest friends, especially in jewish circles, since females can't be eidim or whatever, I think many segulot, like holding the jewelry etc, is a way for the bride to honor her good friends, [also I know many weddings where the female friends of the bride signed the legal marriage license

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:21 am
In my world bridesmaids are family - sisters, sister in laws, nieces and sometimes cousins of the bride.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics