Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
What set of pots do you recommend?

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:49 pm
I'm in need of a new set of pots. I'm willing to spend for a set that will last for a decent amount of time but I also don't need the absolute top of the line. I would love to find a black Friday deal on something. Any ideas?

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:56 pm
My in-laws gave us an amazing Lagostina set when we got married. They're awesome (the pots...and the in-laws). Highly recommended.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:08 pm
Thanks for the recommendation! Looks interesting. For some reason I'm not loving the shape/curve of the pot handles. Although I don't think that's such a big deal. Also I think I would like pots that have see-through covers. Is that a typical thing to have?

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:11 pm
Farberware, t-fal,

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:12 pm
I like stainless steel with glass covers. They are all good, however. You must find them beautiful, I opine. Stretch with the price. Good equipment is important for an important task.

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:48 am
If you're willing to spend, all clad is the safest way to cook. Also you definitely want to avoid most non stick, although I got a good inexpensive set from all clad. I did the research back then and they were the safest.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:54 am
I love mu cuisinart stainless steel pots.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 7:37 am
I wouldn't buy any set for two reasons. First, sets always have items I don't want or need and don't have items that I really need. Secondly, different composition of cookware is good for different purposes. All Clad is great but for some purposes, it's not necessary.

Here's a better explanation I posted from an earlier thread.

I methodically replaced all of my cookware about ten years ago when I became more serious about cooking. I had a set of Revereware from the "olden" days which was good but limited because the handles prevented it from going from stove to oven.

I really recommend against getting a set unless you literally have nothing because I found that sets contained items I never used like little saucepans and didn't contain items that I use all the time - like a HUGE 14" sauté pan.

Also, different types of cooking call for different types of pans because of the way they conduct. And also, it's nice to have a few nonstick pans even though my really good pans aren't nonstick.

That said, cookware has pros and cons. Aluminum is highly conductive which means that it heats and holds temperature well but is not ideal as a cooking surface. The most expensive cookware is aluminum completely clad in stainless steel because it combines the conductivity of aluminum with stainless. It's the most expensive (e.g. AllClad brand). If you want an oven pan that keeps heat all the way up the sides, it's definitely the way to go - that or something like a LeCreuset which is cast iron clad in enamel (cast iron also being excellent for retaining slow heat throughout the pan) and when clad in enamel doesn't have the upkeep issues of regular cast iron.

For sauteing, completely clad pans are probably overkill so all you need is a good heavy pan which is clad on the bottom (I.e. aluminum clad in stainless with stainless on these sides.

My personal preference for a stock pot is just my old 12 quart Revere pot which is relatively light weight stainless on the sides with "clad" bottom. It's relatively lightweight when filled and does fine for cooking anything that is liquid where you don't need the slow even cooking surrounding the food - I.e. the difference between braising brisket and making spaghetti sauce or chicken soup.

I also have a few Caphalon anodized aluminum pans which combine the conductivity of aluminum but aren't as heavy as an All Clad pan but don't have the drawbacks of a regular aluminum pan. Mine came with a lifetime guarantee.

I accumulated over a few years - When I realized that I needed a better pot or pan for what I was cooking, I would buy it. I have some great pans from Macy's line including a 14" nonstick skillet that cost me only about $20 with coupons.

If price is no object All Clad is the best clad pan or Caphalon with a lifetime guarantee. But I wouldn't get a set of either but select the most useful pans from each category.

Top of the line for cast iron enamel clad is some kind of Le Creuset. Not all of them are enormous as they have different sizes. I am getting old so they are a bit too heavy for me when filled. Laughing But for a young woman setting up a kitchen, they are a wonderful present which will last a lifetime especially if she has a wall oven instead of my oven which is almost to the floor. Sad

ETA and I disagree regarding a large stockpot as even cooking for a relatively small family, it's very useful as I make a lot if stews and chilis which I freeze in individual containers for lunch or even fast dinner. I have a normal freezer but lots of recipes do need that larger size unless you never make a stew or chili or soup. And if I am cooking something, that can be frozen I am not going to deliberately make a small portion.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 7:41 am
My farberware is 6 years old and holding up really really well.

I bought the same set for pesach 4.5 years ago and I split the set between Milky and Meaty (I didn't need the whole set like I do for chametz for one type).

mochacoffee

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 8:23 am
I love the Rachel Ray pots and pans. I find that those are better than my more expensive sets.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 8:44 am
My farberware set is going on 11 years and is still great.

I have a cheaper set for milchig with glass covers that I hate, I had a lot of issues with the covers, but I'm guessing more expensive glass covers are better.

In terms of getting a set, for Pesach, I thought I'd be smart and not get a set and only the pieces I need, but I found storage much more difficult. Many times a set will nest in each other for storage, but pieces for different brands will not nest making storage more difficult. If you have great pot storage then building your own set may be a very good idea.

I love my large stock pots.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 9:06 am
I love my calphalon pots. They are awesome.

I would definitely avoid t-fal, which are pretty junky.

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 9:12 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I love my calphalon pots. They are awesome.

I would definitely avoid t-fal, which are pretty junky.

I have my t-fal pot since I got married, almost 12 yrs.
As with every non stick pan, you can't use real forks etc to take food out of pan or to mix the food as the non stick layer gets scratched, however if you're careful and use silicone etc it can last you yrs.

Another mom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 10:13 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
My farberware is 6 years old and holding up really really well.

I bought the same set for pesach 4.5 years ago and I split the set between Milky and Meaty (I didn't need the whole set like I do for chametz for one type).

My Farberwear is 30 years old!! Still good , cooks evenly and gets clean! (DH helps with elbow grease) Thumbs Up

perquacky

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 10:41 am
We are very happy with the set of Macy's Tools of the Trade pots we bought 20 years ago. My husband, who is a chef, picked them out, and he's been very satisfied. No glass covers, though. I'm always concerned one will break.
We have Farberware for milchig and a handle broke off several years back. It uses an odd screw that was very hard to put back in.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 11:16 am
Another mom wrote:
My Farberwear is 30 years old!! Still good , cooks evenly and gets clean! (DH helps with elbow grease) Thumbs Up

Farberware is not the same as it used to be. It's no longer 18/10 stainless steel and harder to clean. However, it's still a good brand for the price.

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 11:54 am
Thanks for all the responses, especially Amarante for the detailed post! The safety and health of the material is important to me, so aluminum and non stick is out. I did see that ceramic or cast iron are of the healthiest, so I'm looking into those. And just last night I thought of the same idea with buying one pot at a time. The truth is I don't need a whole set right now. I really just need 1-2, and just thought to replace the whole set once I'm at it because the set I have now is a cheap set and the rest can break as easily as those first 2 did (handles melted and made the whole pot unsafe), but I could start with just one or two for now. Anyone ever heard of this place?

https://www.ceramcor.com/all-products2

I am looking at one of their sets but it has no reviews, but then I realized there are reviews on individual pots, just not on their whole set.

(Not to mention one or two pots is way cheaper than a whole set..)

The thing with buying individual pots instead of a whole set though is that I have no idea the sizes of pots. I'm looking at their 16 oz pot versus their 1.25 quart pot.

https://www.ceramcor.com/cookw.....t-red

You can see both together on this page if you scroll down to it-they are the first 2 individual ones that have red covers- https://www.ceramcor.com/cookware

Which do I want? It's hard for me to tell. Maybe both? I'm looking to replace one or two pots that are smaller than the pot I cook gefilta fish in Very Happy anyone? That's like the smallish soup pot-you can make soup in it but it's not a huge pot of soup, but it's still decent-I need something smaller than that. Sauce pot sounds right but they're both called sauce pots Smile I guess the size you would make regular macaroni in or warm something up in or something.

Thanks for all your input!

SorGold

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 12:00 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, especially Amarante for the detailed post! The safety and health of the material is important to me, so aluminum and non stick is out. I did see that ceramic or cast iron are of the healthiest, so I'm looking into those. And just last night I thought of the same idea with buying one pot at a time. The truth is I don't need a whole set right now. I really just need 1-2, and just thought to replace the whole set once I'm at it because the set I have now is a cheap set and the rest can break as easily as those first 2 did (handles melted and made the whole pot unsafe), but I could start with just one or two for now. Anyone ever heard of this place?

https://www.ceramcor.com/all-products2

I am looking at one of their sets but it has no reviews, but then I realized there are reviews on individual pots, just not on their whole set.

(Not to mention one or two pots is way cheaper than a whole set..)

The thing with buying individual pots instead of a whole set though is that I have no idea the sizes of pots. I'm looking at their 16 oz pot versus their 1.25 quart pot.

You can see both together on this page if you scroll down to it-they are the first 2 individual ones that have red covers- https://www.ceramcor.com/cookware

Which do I want? It's hard for me to tell. Maybe both? I'm looking to replace one or two pots that are smaller than the pot I cook gefilta fish in Very Happy anyone? That's like the smallish soup pot-you can make soup in it but it's not a huge pot of soup, but it's still decent-I need something smaller than that. Sauce pot sounds right but they're both called sauce pots Smile I guess the size you would make regular macaroni in or warm something up in or something.

Thanks for all your input!

I have they heard they can break if you drop them. If you are concerned about safety of cookware, stick with cast iron

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 12:10 pm
SorGold wrote:
I have they heard they can break if you drop them. If you are concerned about safety of cookware, stick with cast iron

Thanks, I knew that ceramic can break. Cast iron is even more expensive but if I'm only going to buy one or two I will consider that again. Something like this maybe-

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Ma.....C+red
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars