Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What are your interests?

good times

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 2:49 pm
I'm a mom with several young kids and I realized recently that I have hardly any interests/hobbies outside of parenting. I'm would like to figure some out but am at a loss as to what to do. I would love some ideas! Please share your interests and how you nurture your interests and hobbies. Thanks so much!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 2:59 pm
Your mileage is going to vary on your responses to this one. You may need to learn a bit more about yourself. Why not cruise around Pinterest and see some of the things that others are interested in and if they intrigue you.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:33 pm
I am very much into the performing arts. On the "mild" end of the scale I love to go to the theater and I devour the directors' commentaries on every movie I watch.

On the "you need help, lady" end of the scale, I've been acting, dancing, choreographing and directing since I was 12. I've worked on school plays in multiple cities across the US. It gives me LIFE! (And also doesn't let me have a life Wink )

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:32 pm
Parenting involves doing a whole lot of things that you may not think of as "hobbies" because you don't engage in them in a systematic way or excel at them, such as:

--sports/exercise/walking/hiking/swimming
--arts & crafts
--cooking/baking
--reading
--museum-going
--holiday activities
--dance/comedy/acting
--music/singing
--writing Purim grammen
--games of all types
--etc.

A hobby doesn't have to be systematic. The Hebrew word for "hobby" is "tachbiv", from the same root as "chibah", or "affection", and IMHO a much better term. A hobby is simply anything you do because you enjoy it, usually in your spare time.

What a hobby doesn't have to be is something to which you dedicate a whole lot of time and become a world-class expert in. You can, if you care to, but you don't have to. An activity can qualify as a "hobby" if you absolutely stink at it and do it once in a blue moon when the spirit moves you as well as if you devote five hours to it every Sunday and are the local champion.

Maya

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 5:49 pm
I like art and spend a lot of time at museums, and reading about art and artists.

I've also found a way to merge one of my passions with a volunteering opportunity. Perhaps there's a type of volunteer work that you feel strongly about.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:01 pm
I enjoy sewing, home decorating and painting so I'm constantly redoing things in my home like sewing curtain, painting a bedroom in fun colors, oil painting (though with little kids around I hardly get to it; it takes too long to set up and clean up to be worthwhile), reupholstering chairs, rearranging furniture in different layout...

I love to read too so that's easy! I read while I eat, in the bathroom, while nursing my baby, before going to sleep...

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 7:35 pm
"Nurturing" a hobby sounds suspiciously like work. I have a family to nurture, TYVM, and a hobby should be something to relax with, something that will nurture ME, not something I need to "work at" or "nurture". Therefore I don't have any "hobbies" as most people think of them, in the sense of a lifelong dedication to some extracurricular pursuit. What I have is "things I'm into right now". For a time, maybe a month or several months I'll be interested in some topic, whether it's learning how to play a musical instrument or reading every Jane Austen spinoff book ever written. After a time, I may give it a rest, pick up some new obsession for a while, and revisit the interest a year or five down the road. Or not. Point is, I refuse to be a slave to an interest. I don't need to get good at anything, I just need to enjoy doing it. If I get good at it, great. If not, or if I never do it again, who cares?

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 8:10 pm
Shopping!!!!!!!!!!
Cooking/baking
sewing and other type crafts
drawing/painting
Music/singing/dancing
swimming

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 9:42 pm
READING- I love all kinds of books

DRINKING ICED COFFEE- seriously- major hobby of mine Wink

SOCIALIZING- mostly via whatsapp these days- but I do socialize in person when I have time- which is not very often- I find that I tend to socialize in person much more in the summer than during the school year

WATCHING MOVIES- I enjoy unwinding to a good movie when I have time

GETTING A MASSAGE - now if only massages were free, I would seriously get them daily

MUSIC- I looove music

GOING WALKING IN GORGEOUS WEATHER- only applicable between May and October unfortunately

WATCHING CLIPS ON YOUTUBE OF VARIOUS PEOPLE- I currently watch clips of Donald Trump Wink I find him interesting- I also watch clips of various celebrities- keeps me going while doing dishes and laundry and boring stuff like that Cool

SWIMMING AND WATER SPORTS- I love swimming, in a major way- but don't swim often- maybe a couple of times every summer. I really love water parks- they are so fun- but obviously a trip to a water park does not happen often.

BASEBALL- I love baseball, I play with my kids Cool (I dislike all other organized sports- I only like baseball!)

SLEEPING- who doesn't enjoy that! Sleep

PLAYING AROUND WITH BEAUTY PRODUCTS- I could spend all day in Sephora trying on makeup and not get bored (which wouldn't happen, due to lack of time, but in theory...). I also love playing around with skincare products, like masks and scrubs. I love sampling perfumes also. However, since I don't wear a ton of makeup, and my budget is limited, I am careful with what I purchase, I don't over-spend.

Thats all I could come up with at the moment. Hope its a helpful list!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics