Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What does "Not allowed" mean in your house? Spin-off

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 5:54 pm
Quote:
Sometimes this website breaks my heart. What have we Jews become!? Is this allowed; is that allowed?

I don't know if chose the right forum, but this comment (in a discussion about pets) reminded me of a conversation in my house recently.

DGC said something about littlest. DS said, "You're not allowed to say littlest, I think. Ask Bubbie."

Says I, "Well, it's not ossur from the Torah but I do think it's incorrect grammar. Because in a Jewish house when someone says 'you're not allowed' we generally assume they mean according to halacha."

But what about "you're not allowed to jump on Bubbie's couch"?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:01 pm
Here it doesn't necessarily have to do with halacha. Sometimes it's halacha, sometimes it's just that my dh and I don't let. Such as in your jumping on the couch example.

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:07 pm
Playing with matches is "not allowed".

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 7:12 pm
In my house "not allowed" means, let's do!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Just kidding!! When something is not allowed according to halacha, I say that, otherwise, in this house because I said so!! Wink

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 11:08 pm
Huh. We never use "it's not allowed" to refer to mitzvos. We use "because that's what it says in the Torah" or "because that's what Hashem wants."

Not allowed is used for mommy rules. Like "you're not allowed to say food is yucky. Just say you don't like it."

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 8:51 am
"Not allowed" usually means halacha here. "Not allowed in MY house" is my rules.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:01 am
Now that I think about it, we don't really use the expression at all, probably because it's ambiguous. For mitzvos/halachos, we would say, "The Torah/Hashem says we must/may not..." and for our own rules we say, "Abba/Ima doesn't/don't let..."

ETA For older kids, it's, "The halacha is..."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics