Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much should I pay for this (bookkeeping)?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 10:15 am
Oh wow. Can I have the job please? I work 32 hours a week out of home (4 years exp) and earn less than 35

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 10:38 am
I am the amother who posted before that I make 46 for 30 hours a week. I happen to have a degree in accounting but for right or for wrong I stuck to my bookkeeping job even after I finished my college because they offered me a raise and I didn't want to start a job with more hours and a commute. To give you an idea what is out there, I was offered two jobs AFTER I got my degree. Bigger companies like to see the accounting degree even if in reality you are just doing bookkeeping. Obviously these jobs were more than data entry.....One offer was in the city and it was 55k plus they paid half health insurance and they did 401k match. It was 9-5 and friday were 9-2 winter and 9-330 summer. The other job was 32 hours for 52k no benefits. Both these offers were 2 years ago so imagine a drop higher today.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:50 pm
I have a masters degree in accounting and over six years experience. I only do per diem work so I can make my own schedule. I'm paid about $25 an hour. I know I'm underpaid but I want the flexibility to work from home at my own hours.

When work is slow I sometime go on Criaglist to find work. I'm shocked how many people want two years of experience but only offer $12-$15 an hour for bookkeeping jobs.However someone I know who put on such an ad was surprised how many CPAs with a lot of experience responded.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:49 pm
Another accountant (CPA) chiming in here - 75k seems high.

Please look at the authoritative guide on accounting and finance salaries here: http://www.roberthalf.com/site.....e.pdf

I found bookkeeper on page 21. The salary ranges from $40,750 - $61,250. If you're in NYC, you need to apply a 140% city customization rate to this range (per last page of the report), which gives you $61,250 - $85,750.

This seems shockingly high to me, but that is what it says. HOWEVER, this is for those demanding, high pressure work environments where one is expected to work at least 40 hrs per week plus overtime as necessary or for special projects. I would even expect the salary on the smaller range would be for a job with those expectations.

For flexible, part time work, the salary should be much lower than the LOWEST number on the range, ie, much lower than 61,250 for NYC.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 2:53 pm
I would be interested in a job like that. Is there any way I can reach out to you privately, (not in a public forum.)

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:09 pm
There are different types of bookkeeping...both me and my husband are book keepers...what he does and what I do are completely different. He earns 80K and is considered underpaid for what he does...and I earn much less...we are both experienced...it really is a question as to what your book keeping involves..but 25.00 per hour is low-average in my opinion for an experienced book keeper.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:11 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
There are different types of bookkeeping...both me and my husband are book keepers...what he does and what I do are completely different. He earns 80K and is considered underpaid for what he does...and I earn much less...we are both experienced...it really is a question as to what your book keeping involves..but 25.00 per hour is low-average in my opinion for an experienced book keeper.

Do both of you have degrees?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:14 pm
neither of us has a degree...but my my husband has more knowledge and experience than many people with degrees . In his office, he was told if he gets his degree they will automatically bump him up to over 100K a year....
I just built my way up and have been a very devoted worker.
Sometimes it doesn't take a degree...it takes experience , hard work and devotion to a job...I never had to look for a job Baruch Hashem..the jobs were all offered to me because of the hard worker that I am.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:17 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
neither of us has a degree...but my my husband has more knowledge and experience than many people with degrees . In his office, he was told if he gets his degree they will automatically bump him up to over 100K a year....
I just built my way up and have been a very devoted worker.
Sometimes it doesn't take a degree...it takes experience , hard work and devotion to a job...I never had to look for a job Baruch Hashem..the jobs were all offered to me because of the hard worker that I am.

Thank you, this is the answer I am looking for. I don't have a degree either and I get paid much much less than that.

OP is there any way to contact you about the job?

chaiz

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
Do you work in the field? There are such mixed reviews on here with most people saying they make in the 40s and that it would be adequate. Theres a few saying its underpaid.
Are you a bookkeeper making over 60k?

No I am not. I just know how much I got paid for real basic work in various places. And the one or two bookkeepers that I know would not be getting that little for their work.
That is why I referred you to Glassdoor.com.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:27 pm
I dont think it pays for you in the long run to hire a girl just starting out for a bookkeeping job...this is a job that requires knowledge and experience...you can hire a girl starting out for customer service and receptionist etc.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:06 pm
chaiz wrote:
No I am not. I just know how much I got paid for real basic work in various places. And the one or two bookkeepers that I know would not be getting that little for their work.
That is why I referred you to Glassdoor.com.

50k a year would be about 30$ - 35$ per hour because its not a 40 hour work week. What basic work without a degree gets more than that?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:29 pm
I was a full time bookkeeper without prior experience. I got trained on the job. Was getting paid $500/week

chaiz

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
50k a year would be about 30$ - 35$ per hour because its not a 40 hour work week. What basic work without a degree gets more than that?

Ok I was calculating for a 35 hour workweek and getting at a lower hourly wage. I was not getting paid more than that, getting less than that. But I was comparing to my salaries a few years ago for basic "unskilled" work and saying that comparatively it is not high.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:52 pm
Another CPA here. I have over 8 years of experience at my current job and someone offered me a job last week. For 30-35 hours they were willing to pay $52k a year. (I didn't accept because I make more than that per hour, but just to give you a sense of what they felt the going rate was.) I know of a few bookkeepers who are paid $25 an hour. Obviously if one is a certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor they can charge significantly more, but 50K a year for 30-35 hours seems very appropriate.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:57 pm
Now I'm really curious...

For those of you saying that you're employed by a company (not self-employed) and earning at the higher end of the ranges we're seeing her, do you mind describing what you do? Also, do you have any training/certification, does your salary includes benefits and what type of hours you work? I've never heard of bookkeeping jobs that pay more than 55k and I thought that was the ceiling in this field! I guess there's a huge range of what's considered bookkeeping , but still, the numbers are so much higher than what I've ever seen.

I'm a CPA. I used to think it was a great career choice, but now I'm wondering if I've wasted all those years in school...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:45 am
So my understanding is that the pay depends on the job description/duties and not even necessarily the employees qualifications...

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
So my understanding is that the pay depends on the job description/duties and not even necessarily the employees qualifications...

Typically duties and responsibilities determine salary. Qualifications of the applicant speak to their eligibility for the position. You can decide if you want to establish minimal experience and qualifications for the position.

GoldFlowers

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:

Is this your first time hiring an employee?

gande

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:50 pm
If you are offering a secretary job that is including bookkeeping that you will teach the employee what is expected from her in regards to keeping tabs on your business's finances, then you can get somebody for about $20 an hour. However, if you need someone with a degree who is highly skilled in a certain area, then you will pay more.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics