Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Rabbis, Professionals, MD's AGAINST medicating for ADHD?
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
I tried meds with my ADHD son and they were a disaster. He has a very sensitive body and had some pretty extreme reactions, even on the lowest dose of a pretty mild medication.

In addition, long term use of ADHD meds are linked with depression and suicide in teens.

Not saying I won't pursue it, but I'm trying all other avenues first- intwnsive OT, diet, etc.

There are both sides to the coin.

I'm assuming you tried a stimulant. There are other classes of meds. Did you get y any others? Are you working with with a good child psychiatrist?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm assuming you tried a stimulant. There are other classes of meds. Did you get y any others? Are you working with with a good child psychiatrist?

I actually did not. My son was still pretty young so we decided to try other routes as long as his school wasn't complaining. I just didn't feel up to making him into a lab rat at the tender age of seven.

We may retry meds at a later point, after our other options are exhausted.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
I actually did not. My son was still pretty young so we decided to try other routes as long as his school wasn't complaining. I just didn't feel up to making him into a lab rat at the tender age of seven.

We may retry meds at a later point, after our other options are exhausted.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so defensive.
However, your experience proves nothing. One trial on medication that isn't successful doesn't indicate anything one way or the other. Most people need to try a few different options until they find the right med/ dose. It is not turning your child into a lab rat, it is about doing the best for your child. If you think your child needs meds, you need to be committed for the few months of trial/error it takes to find the right option. It is possible that the need wasn't that urgent so you gave up quickly. But if the need is urgent, you need to commit as a parent to keep trying until the child is stable. It is also unusual to try meds for a young child of age seven unless the issues are pretty serious. Who recommended this for your child?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 9:54 pm
I have started doing yoga and it is better than adderal. Have since lowered my dosage. I feel like I can start feeling my own energy again.

southernbelle

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 11:06 pm
Rabbi Leib Keleman

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry, your story is extremely strange and hard to believe. I have dealt extensively with Relief and never has anyone offered a diagnosis, they are strictly referrals. Additionally, all of their psychiatrists are top and above board. Your story is bizarre.
It was in their KJ regional office. The guy was sitting at a computer reading from a list. We answered yes to maybe one or two questions. After the lengthy interrogation, he declared ADHD. He offered us medication through a psychologist in the KJPS who can dispense a prescription just by talking to us.

We weren't there alone. We were joined by a skilled yungerman who helps bochurim like my son. Relief was supposed to guide him how to handle our son. When we left shocked from there, this yungerman told us to disregard that guy and directed us to the therapist that was bh successful in helping my son.

If you still find this story unbelievable, I can post the name of the guy and you can have the privilege of asking him yourself.

The only benefit of doubt I have is the fact that the office was relatively new, maybe just a few weeks old here in KJ when we saw him. The guy was new to Relief at the time and I have no clue whether he is still with them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 1:29 pm
I dunno... I have ADD and was diagnosed as an adult. I am an OT myself and definitely have learned how to regulate myself and improve my attention

BUT

there is nothing like meds. I am a new person since taking them. It has changed my life.

My body is also very sensitive to meds in general, and I take a very very low dose. It give me enough of a boost to get going and stay focused on what I need to do.

My work as an OT greatly improved when I take my PRN meds before session, my kids get s much happier, available mother when I have the meds, and I can get so much more done around the house and feel so much better about myself...

Please, wont you give your child the opportunity to be able to act and focus like everyone else without having to try so hard and feeling so bad for when he cannot succeed?

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
My 15 yr old son was having trouble in yeshiva and we were referred to Relief. The intake guy asked us a list of default questions and confidently exclaimed ADHD! He offered us medication "under the counter" and even went as far as to say my son doesn't need to see a doctor. He (that guy) has access to a dr that would prescribe the meds just by talking to us.

Well, we ran out of there as fast as our legs could carry us. We later saw a different therapist, who spoke to us for an hour, and many many hours to DS. No meds, no doctors and two yrs later, ds is a top boy, great learner, great social guy.

He NEVER had ADHD. He had other troubles that were BH helped through the good shliach therapist.

I still cringe when I think what could've been had we followed thru with that guy!

Are you sure it was Relief?
They are a referral agency. I have dealt with them many times and they have never ever tried to diagnosed.
Strange.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 4:04 pm
amother with the 15 year old son, what type of therapy did u do that worked? curious cuz my son has slight issues and not sure if we should medicate (which would probably be a very light dose). Looking for other ideas.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
amother with the 15 year old son, what type of therapy did u do that worked? curious cuz my son has slight issues and not sure if we should medicate (which would probably be a very light dose). Looking for other ideas.
To be honest, I don't know what kind of therapy the therapist was using. I do recall something along the lines of a system with points and rewards.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:58 pm
cnc wrote:
Are you sure it was Relief?
They are a referral agency. I have dealt with them many times and they have never ever tried to diagnosed.
Strange.
Well, he was "referring" us to a psychologist who can speak with me and DH and "prescribe" meds....

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 1:40 am
My husband is an adhd coach

with kids - he works with them building their self esteem - introducing them to adhd and all it's positives - teaching them how to use their adhd brain - which can bring them further then not adhd. He also does teach skills - like social skills - what to do in specific situations , how making lists and other things that can help - Boruch Hashem he has been very matzliach even without medicine - though he is not against it at all - in many cases it's needed.

He also works with parents guiding them to deal with the adhd properly which saves houses.

(and then he works with men coaching them as well)

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:11 am
e1234 wrote:
My husband is an adhd coach

with kids - he works with them building their self esteem - introducing them to adhd and all it's positives - teaching them how to use their adhd brain - which can bring them further then not adhd. He also does teach skills - like social skills - what to do in specific situations , how making lists and other things that can help - Boruch Hashem he has been very matzliach even without medicine - though he is not against it at all - in many cases it's needed.

He also works with parents guiding them to deal with the adhd properly which saves houses.

(and then he works with men coaching them as well)

Would you tell me where his office is located? I am interested in this type of therapy for ds.

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 12:29 pm
Quote:
Would you tell me where his office is located? I am interested in this type of therapy for ds.

Israel (pm me for exact location) - but he does do phone coaching as well.

He can also coach just the parents (and give tips how to coach the child) and he has seen good results.

A lot of dealing with ADHD is the attitude you put towards it.
If you treat it as a disability it will be - if you learn how to use it you can use it to your benefit.
If you don't treat it (and medicine alone is not just treating it) then it can cause many difficulties
PM me if you want more info
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)