Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Spin Off: What do you consider when choosing a school?

What is your first priority when choosing a school?
Tuition  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Hashkafa  
 70%  [ 70 ]
Convenience: I.e .proximity to your house  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Level of Secular Education  
 10%  [ 10 ]
Size of Classes  
 2%  [ 2 ]
the reputation of the school  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Other, please explain  
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 99

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:53 am
Spin off of vaccination thread. I have never before heard of that being a major consideration. Curious how many people really think that way.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:55 am
It's not any one factor, it's a weighted consideration of all these factors.

sped

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:55 am
DrMom wrote:
It's not any one factor, it's a weighted consideration of all these factors.

Agreed. Any one or two or three... without the others would not be a consideration.

baba

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:28 am
I would also add their ability to educate children based on their individual needs.

supermom3

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:30 am
If Hashkafa is right anything else will be right too (even "proximity to your house" - assuming that your community is right for you, since the school will fit the community you live in )

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:39 am
supermom3 wrote:
If Hashkafa is right anything else will be right too (even "proximity to your house" - assuming that your community is right for you, since the school will fit the community you live in )

Not really. There are diverse communities with a range of schools. One might be more affordable, one might be hashkafically correct but really expensive. Or a further commute for your kids. Etc.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:20 am
The middos that the school teaches isnthe single most importsnt thing to DH and I. We are both teachers and our kids have gone to schools all over the country. When we moved to Where we live now (where we are now and please Gd well stay), I asked here on imamother and also many people irl about the 2 girls schools. Everyone said BY is " more academic" and Non BY (not saying the real name) is more into middos and each girl individually. We choose non by where she started in 5th grade - kind of late to start a new school. The effort that the admin and teachers made to help her fit in was beautiful. The girls are wonderful. Middos certainly is king there.

I am the old lady at local womens college. Hence the anon post. I stand out a lot! I have also said this point a lot... I see the graduates from BY and non by together in my classes. BY should come and see and be ashamed. Their graduates are rude and chutzpadig to the extreem. I am very friendly with everyone, I ask where they went to elementary school. I can tell you that the non by girls are sweet and come to learn.

From my time at womens college with these girls I that the graduates from both schools end up together in college. The girls from the scahdemic school are sitting next to the middos school. And its clear what each one has spent the past 12 years immersed in.

I choose middos.

And btw the non by school created a program for the benifot of a few girls. When you preach middos, you teach from that lense as well. And you see that every student matters.

[edited to remove identifying info]

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:26 am
A combination of the educational level, approachability of the Hanhala, and middos of the graduates.

Tuition was not a factor and neither was proximity of the schools although they happen to be relatively nearby.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:30 am
baba wrote:
I would also add their ability to educate children based on their individual needs.

This was it for us.
We looked for progressive educational models and methods. Also the warmth and passion of the staff.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:36 am
I have a first priority, but don't necessarily have that at the end because the other things end up outweighing it.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:39 am
how the school views each student, a number that should be shoved in a box or a kid who has different needs etc. that they are valuable addition to the school.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:57 am
I think I may have misunderstood the question- I clicked on "reputation", but I meant that I want the school to have a reputation for turning out mensches. Obviously several other factors you mentioned come into play, but that's the biggest for me.

freedomseek

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 9:30 am
relatively best education and the amount of freedom kids will get to remain individuals.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 9:46 am
One thing I had wanted very strongly was translating chumah into English. I wanted my kids to have a very clear understanding of what the words mean and how to break down the words correctly. Where I live there aren't too many schools with that option.

Middos, warm and understanding staff, and a serious secular education was also very important. b'h I got that for both my girls and my boys.

For my boys I did get a school with English translation, not for girls.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:32 am
1. SAFETY
2. Positive and healthy learning environment/individual attention
3. Good academic goals
4. Positive peer group/haskafic enviroment

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:16 pm
One choice isn't enough.
I voted secular education because that is a huge deal for me.
BUT I also only look at schools within my hashkafic views.
Class size is also a huge consideration to me as is overall teaching staff, level of education, reputation, the way parent-teacher/administrative staff can interact on issues and of course proximity and transportation (I am very particular about buses etc).

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:26 pm
Oops, I forgot to include an option for vaccine policy..
I wanted to see if there is really more than one person on this board who thinks like that.
Any way to add a poll option?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:32 pm
Many things matter, and tuition is not something you can get around unless they happen to give grants...

But for me, mostly, I'd say haskafa encompasses a lot: if you include non religious "philosophy", it also means a certain type of teacher, even of numbers in class, a way to relate to the child...

It is crucial for me my kid be happy there, and I am happy s/he goes there.

My community fits me like a glove or almost but the right school happens to be in another city. It is very common. Schools can go somewhere else due to rent, or opportunity, or simply they were started near the director's home Wink

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
The middos that the school teaches isnthe single most importsnt thing to DH and I. We are both teachers and our kids have gone to schools all over the country. When we moved to Where we live now (where we are now and please Gd well stay), I asked here on imamother and also many people irl about the 2 girls schools. Everyone said BY is " more academic" and Non BY (not saying the real name) is more into middos and each girl individually. We choose non by where she started in 5th grade - kind of late to start a new school. The effort that the admin and teachers made to help her fit in was beautiful. The girls are wonderful. Middos certainly is king there.

I am the old lady at local womens college. Hence the anon post. I stand out a lot! I have also said this point a lot... I see the graduates from BY and non by together in my classes. BY should come and see and be ashamed. Their graduates are rude and chutzpadig to the extreem. I am very friendly with everyone, I ask where they went to elementary school. I can tell you that the non by girls are sweet and come to learn.

From my time at womens college with these girls I that the graduates from both schools end up together in college. The girls from the scahdemic school are sitting next to the middos school. And its clear what each one has spent the past 12 years immersed in.

I choose middos.
[removed]
And btw they created a program for the benifot of a few girls. When you preach middos, you teach from that lense as well. And you see that every student matters.

If this poster checks in on this thread again, I feel that your last paragraph gives identifying details about the city as it is very widely known about that school. Therefore, writing this also identifies the BY school in the same city which you have written very negative things about (or about its graduates) which by the way I have never had the negative interactions that you have had and I have lived in the same city for many years (disclaimer: I do not have girls in the school that you bad-mouthed). I would like to request that you remove the last paragraph. Thank you. Smile

ETA: I am reporting the post to bring it to attention of hte moderators in case the poster doesnt check in here again.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 10:09 pm
Other: Is it a socially and emotionally safe environment. No overcrowding in classroom. None of those 100 year old teachers who make some kids feel awful and focus on the top 5 etc. An administration that will listen to you and act on issues in a sensitive manner, protecting the child's esteem and helping him/her flourish. A place where the child will be set up for success and for a love of yiddishkeit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics