Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How to prevent a messy oily menorah/table?

abaker

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:44 pm
so we usually set up a small table with the menorah on it right by the front window. thing is no matter what...it always looks like an oily mess. we have tried covering the table with foil, paper, or even a disposable table cloth. looking for advice on how to fill the oil cups without spillage and other helpful hints.

whats the secret to keeping the menorah and table looking as clean and beautiful as it deserves to look!?

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:48 pm
I buy the pre-measured jelly oil cups. They're costlier than the wicks and cups you fill with oil, but much neater.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:51 pm
Putting your menorah on a tray at least contains the mess. You can line the tray with foil and replace the foil as needed.

mfb

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:21 pm
I have a few menorahs and put them on disposeable cookie sheets (which can be changed if needed)

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:28 pm
we use disposable foil pans. not gorgeous, but it works.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 9:44 pm
I'm not understanding the "problem". You never heard of shmattahs? Use a nice clean cotton cloth--dh disreputable undershirts are ideal--to wipe up any oily residue before lighting and after the lights burn out and the menorah has cooled off. What's the big deal? It's not like scraping off hardened wax, which IS a pain--unless you cleverly coat the tray and menorah with mineral oil before lighting so the wax slides off instead of sticking. (You could use olive oil, but why waste good olive oil?) Oh, and you wipe off the tray and menorah EVERY DAY. It takes less time than it's taking me to write about it.

magenta

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 10:03 pm
Remove the cups before filling them. Hold each one over the sink as you pour in the oil. Then replace on the menorah. Don't fill it up too much. And if people might jostle the menorah, then move it to the side.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 10:26 pm
PSA: PLEASE DON"T USE PAPER, PLASTIC, CLOTH OR OTHER COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CHANUKA LICHT!

All you need is for a still-hot match, or a candle, or a spark from a glowing bit of wick to land on it and, as we say on Pesach--dam, vaESH, vetimrot ashan. Don't become a statistic. Place menorahs on stable surfaces of stone, ceramic, glass or metal and remove from the vicinity anything remotely combustible like curtains, tablecloths and venetian blind cords. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small fire extinguisher near the doorway of the room where you light the candles--and learn how to use it.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:18 pm
My DH started using a ketchup and mustard squeeze bottle, the ones you get in the dollar store that come in red and yellow, for the Shabbat oil. It works great. I'm planning to do the same for Chanukah. Only thing is that by the sixth or seventh night you'll have to refill the bottle 2 x. Better than the mess.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:19 pm
I find that using a funnel to refill my squeeze bottles results in the least mess.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:54 am
chulentalakiddush wrote:
I buy the pre-measured jelly oil cups. They're costlier than the wicks and cups you fill with oil, but much neater.

I used this last year, will use it again. Excellent product.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:34 am
Go to a drugstore or pharmacy to pick up a large syringe. Use it to add the oil. Don't fill the cups to the top in case the table gets bumped.
While lighting, hold the candle over a piece of foil to contain the drips and keep the menorah beautiful. If you see it's about to drip, either move it over the foil or let it drip into the oil.
Wipe the menorah down before preparing it.
Have a cheap menorah nearby to set the filled cups in. If they spill or drip before lighting time, the nice one stays nice.

Real olive oil gives a brighter stronger flame and is hidden mitzva. Using it for the menorah is not wasting, though it may be expensive. One one liter bottle is enough for us for all of Chanukah including the shamash.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:33 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Real olive oil gives a brighter stronger flame and is hidden mitzva. Using it for the menorah is not wasting, .

Correct. But there is no need to use pricey olive oil to coat your menorah and tray to keep wax drips from clinging. Baby oil from the dollar store makes more sense. (Pun not intended but what the hey, I'll take the credit any way I can get it. And there's a second pun as well as a rhyme hidden in there.)

abaker

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:30 pm
chulentalakiddush wrote:

I know these sound amazing. I would run to the judaica store and get some if we had one in our community...or even in the province. but since we don't I am going to find out if the store in toronto can ship them to us asap. the fun of being very out of town =) maybe next time I go to ny I will pick some up in advance for next year.

abaker

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:32 pm
I know the obvious rules of cleaning up a mess, but sometimes tips from how others do it are helpful. thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice. now for those pesky wicks...which ones work the best, how do you get them to stay lit nicely/stand straight up/same height?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:39 pm
We use those little brass stands in each cup. Cotton wicks trimmed enough for a nice flame but not burn all the oil in 15min.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics