Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Lakewood
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Emaplus4

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:42 pm
I'm not looking in to sefradi yeshivas my sons now are now in ashkenaz yeshiva

balibusta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 8:52 pm
R' Gad Mayer Censor-732 886 2380

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:29 pm
OP, I'm laughing as I read the replies here.

As you correctly said, your children will go wherever Hashem wants them to.

To others, please tell me what "modern" in Lakewood means?

Personally send mine to Kol Torah, don't define myself as modern and neither would anyone else.

More "modern" than Orchos Chaim, that's simply not true in any way.

Calling Orchos Chaim modern, American, Syrian, is also simply not true.

ALL schools have different people who send to them. I know people in Kaminetz who let their kids watch online and people in YTT who would never. Go know.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:58 pm
There are always exception to the rules but kamenetz is a very yeshivish yeshiva and every father has a beard and learning forever there can be an exception or two but it's an exception.

Kol Torah and orchars Chaim is similar both tytche in English only and no Yiddish just orchas Chaim is a more the wealthier clientele and kol Torah takes in those that don't get into orchas Chaim.

There are some yeshivish families in orchas Chaim like the rabbeim and secretary kids and teachers kids but again they are the exception. Orchas Chaim tytches Baruch = blessed that's very American way of tyrching Chumash.

Also orchas Chaim has a lot of families that live in deal that travel every day to that school. It's a good school but it's more American. Most parents that send there don't come from heimishe homes from bp there are exceptions and you will find some but it's not the normal for that school.

The parents that I know that send to kol Torah wears leggings with no socks and skirts don't cover their knee I don't know any mother in kamenetz that would do that.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:24 pm
My point exactly.....

Orchos Chaim teitches into English only, Kol Torah teitches into Yiddish and English. So I'm not sure how reliable your info is.

Secondly many yeshivish people send to Orchos Chaim not only employee's children. many many yeshivish people send there. its about 40% of the school by design.

Again not sure how reliable your info is.

which leads me to saying that what you are saying about Kol Torah is shtusim. Are there some like that yes. Can you find those in Orchos Chaim or Tashbar, yup. but 90% of the school is regular people.

frum people, even though they didn't grow up in Heimishe Boro Park.

Categorizing schools in untrue subjective ways, only makes the Lakewood School situation worse.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:33 pm
Years ago when there weren't so many yeshivas them some yeshivish people went to orchas Chaim. Everyone's first choice was yeshiva ketana and if they didn't get in there then they went to orchas Chaim. Today once Toras Aron, shraigas aryeh, rabbi bender opened up yeshivas then orchas Chaim is not an option for yeshivish people any more.

Any yeshivish family that sends there either sent years ago when there weren't many options or is getting reduced tuition or their child has a difficulty learning a second language so they send there.

My info is very accurate.

Orchas Chaim is a great school but it's not yeshivish Why are you taking it so personal?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 7:15 am
A sfardi neighbor of mine sends to a newer sefardi school called yagdil torah. Says it supposed to be amazing school. Amother who sends to kol torah and isnt modern...I know what u r saying cuz I send to ytt and im not modern as well as most of the school.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 10:39 am
What about the "Cheder" - is it not possible to apply there?

Emaplus4

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 10:41 am
All I want to say is that if a yeshiva tytches in yiddish or english in my eyes does not render it frumer or not as in Israel most places don't tytches in yiddish. As in jewish Europe that was the language, as today in American english and yes I think it is good and a most to keep the mashoras (and I have nothing wrong with my children learning yiddish) and still learn and speak yiddish, so does not make them less frum or American (or French, Israeli, canadian etc) as there are all walks of frum people from around the world. I think it depends on the the person/family and what is in their heart. Becuase unfortunately modernization is in every single yeshiva to day be it litvish, chasidish or sfardi. You will unfortunately always have that 123 or 4 family who outside put on a show (since of social presser) and at home do that that or the other thing. I didn't try to open this topic chas v Shalom to speak lashon hara on anyone or yeshiva. And I am very sorry and feel very bad if I got anyone one annoyed as that was not my intention

Emaplus4

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 10:48 am
And I appreciate all the help that people did give me about names of Rabbis and yeahivas that I did not know of

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 11:13 am
I don't know why posters are advising the OP to consider Sefardi schools. Yemenite tradition is completely different than the Sefardi schools that are basically the Syrian mesorah. The OP's child would likely feel more out of place there than in the Ashkenazi yeshivas, since they all have much more similarities and in the Ashkenazi schools there's more of a mix of many types.

There is a small Taimani presence in Lakewood. OP, you might want to try to find out where they send their kids. I know that many of their girls are in Bais Faiga (very hard to get into if you are a newcomer to Lakewood, no space at all) but don't know where the boys go.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 2:08 pm
As a parent in Orchos Chaim, I just wanted to point out that the English teitching has nothing to do with mesora or frumkeit.
The yeshiva staunchly follows the hadracha of R' Meir Stern (From Passaic). R' Meir Stern feels that for boys, the important part of learning chumash is the havana, not learning Yiddish. My sons really do have an understanding of the pesukim because it is explained in the language they know best. They do learn songs etc. in Yiddish to give them the taam of the language though.

Emaplus4

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 3:21 pm
Amother that kind of what I was saying when I was talking about languages

Emaplus4

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 10:35 pm
Hi again last week I post in regards to boy's yeshivas. B"H we had an interview with kol Torah and we got excepted, I was wondering , should I even try other Yeshivas. I was over all impressed with the Yeshiva and the two Rabbis who interested us. I also have a daughter and was looking in to girls schools I'm trying for bnos Penina bnos melech and tefarish bais Yaakov and wanted to know if kol Torah is equivalent or some what a like to these girl schools thanx

Lizzie4

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 6:05 am
Kol Torah is a great school! It's very small and family like and the Menahel really knows each boy. The only downside to it is that since they are small if your child needs extra help or tutoring they might not be able to accommodate that so that's definitely something to consider.
I agree with Chayelle that the sephardic schools are not for you. My brother attends one of them and they are mostly for Syrians, which would be very different for a Yemenite (Which is not Sephardic, like you said)

Lizzie4

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 6:15 am
Bnos Penina, bnos melech and tiferes bais Yaakov are all very different types of schools.
Bnos Penina is most similar to Kol Torah in clientele. Bnos Melech, being the most "Yeshivish". Tiferes Bais Yaakov is an older school and may be harder to get into. I would suggest Bais Faiga (also may be harder to get into but def worth a try), as I went there and although the school is big (8 or more classes per grade) they are top notch when dealing with any tutoring and have really great teachers as well. And a nice mix of people. I don't know much about the other new schools but they are worth looking into.
By the way a few of my brothers attended Kol Torah and my family is the furthest thing from "Modern". There are really great families there, a lot of the boys go on to attend really great Mesivta for H.S., The cheder is another great choice. There are other families with a Yemenite background there

Lizzie4

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 6:15 am
Lakewood Boys Schools

Bais HaTorah 732- 370-7580
Bais Reuven Kaminetz
Cheder Bnei Torah (R' Burstyn) 732-367-5508
Even Yisroel ( R Zelinger) 645-9445/ 645-9446
Lakewood cheder
Mekor Hachinuch 732-364-8011
Masores haTorah (new- R' Nissan Schwartz)
Orchos Chaim (R' Mandelbaum)
Tashbar (R' Zions)
Toras Zev (R' Eidelman)732-901-5060
Shaggas Aryeh
Toras Aron (R' kanarek)
Toras Menachem (YOB)
Ohr Hatorah (R'Londinsky)
Ohr Yehuda (R' Bender)
Talmud Torah of Lakewood ( R' Kalmanowitz)
Talmud Torah Beis Avrohom 732-363-0040 (heimish)
Talmud Torah Ohr Elchonon
Yeshiva Derech Hatorah Jr HS grades 6-8 phone: 806-1816
Yeshiva Ketana (R' Mendel Rabinowitz) 363-0303
Yeshiva Keter Torah phone: 961-9731(sefardi)
Yeshiva Kol Torah (R' Shwartz ) 732-905-6300
YTT R' Gelbwachs

Lakewood Girls schools
Ateres Tzipora

Bas Yisroel (Viznitz)
Bais Faiga
Bnos Yaakov
Bais Rivka Rochel (R' Kanarek)
Bais Rochel ( Heimish)
Bnos Bracha
Bnos Bina
Bnos Penina
Bnos Orchos Chaim
Bais Tova (R' Sanders)
Bnos Devorah (R' Notis)
Bnos Melech (R' Hess)
Bnos Esther Malka (R' Gelman)
Chein Bais Yaakov ( Rebbetzin Ziemba)
Keser Bais Yaakov ( Chasidish)
Meoros Bais Yaakov (R' Landau)
Masores Bnos Yisroel (New Kanarek school)
Moreshes Bais Yaakov (R' Perlstein)
Nachlas Bnos Yaakov (R' Robinson)
Ohel Esther
Shiras Chaim (R' Perlstein)
Tiferes Chaya ( Chasidish)
Tehillas Chaya Sarah (Bnos Rivka)
Tiferes Bais Yaakov

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 7:31 am
Hello, this string is very interesting to me because we are also thinking of moving to Lakewood from our out of town community. We are Ashkenazi and not yeshivish but very frum. We are thinking of moving this summer, and I'm wondering how early do we need to apply for the 2016-2017 school year? Is it too early now? Thank you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 10:06 am
yes you need to apply now! most schools sent out applications and are having interviews now for the 2016-2017 year.

Bnos Melech is very yeshivish (girls need to wear tights, a lot of yiddish etc) and doesnt sound like it's for you. Bnos Penina might be for you or maybe Bnos Bracha, Tehillas Chaya Sara (which was Bnos Rivka) and Moreshes Bais Yaakov. Tiferes and Bais Faiga are probably impossible to get into if you're not alumni or siblings.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 10:25 am
Bnos Melech is very yeshivish, has lots of rules for girls, teaches lots of yiddish, its also a large quickly growing school. I think they already have 5 - 6 parallel schools, have been open about 9 - 10 years. I have 2 SILs who send there and both are VERY happy.

I send to Tiferes Bais Yaakov and really like the school. it is small (3 parallel classes) and principal is amazing. Also translates chumash into yiddish.
But I think almost all girls schools translate chumash into yiddish. Not sure of which ones do not.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating