Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Has Ima replaced Google?
1  2  Next

Has Ima replaced Google?
Yes  
 5%  [ 4 ]
No  
 46%  [ 31 ]
sometimes  
 46%  [ 31 ]
other, please explain  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 67

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:03 pm
A post made by Zaq prompted me to start this thread. Has Ima replaced google for basic how to information?

I love the internet with all of it's information. I ask Mr. Google for information with frequency during the day. Not only does it answer 'how to' questions but also a great many 'why' questions. I think it is just the greatest encyclopedia ever. My father was self educated and a constant reader of anything, including analog encyclopedias. He would have loved the internet and Mr. Google.

Of course on the internet you need to be able to ask the right question I.e. what is the internal done temp. of chicken, and filter some answers on some more complex questions.

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:10 pm
I use both, imamother mainly if it's jewish related or kosher recipes etc. Or for fun. And google when I want a quick answer.

however beware of google if you use him as dr. Google.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:14 pm
Yes, it has, obviously.
Or perhaps it hasn't replacedGoogle because apparently many amothers have never Googled to begin with. It has replaced "ask your mother/next-door neighbor/LOR/other maven, professional or otherwise."

Internet search engines have grown so sophisticated that you barely need to know how to phrase the question provided you know enough to reject irrelevant hits.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:17 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes, it has, obviously.
Or perhaps it hasn't replacedGoogle because apparently many amothers have never Googled to begin with. It has replaced "ask your mother/next-door neighbor/LOR/other maven, professional or otherwise."

Internet search engines have grown so sophisticated that you barely need to know how to phrase the question provided you know enough to reject irrelevant hits.

Yea my frequently asked questions phrase in on my toolbar. It's not like using the old boolean search methods.

trixx

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:18 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes, it has, obviously.

Some threads make me roll my eyes like "woman have you never heard of Google. A little self-sufficiency please... You will get a quicker and more accurate answer from Google than from this site."

But for discussions or frum topics this site is invaluable.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:20 pm
I do google and sometimes even after google, I still ask here because it was either too overwhelming or I want a different perspective from people "I know".

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:23 pm
This site is fun, and a good way of socializing, and a good way of learning about other flavors of judaism.

And google is not all relyable, as many results are also from blogs where ppl just say their opinion or experiance. For a real answer one asks a dr, proffesional, rav etc. For little questions here and there, or basic research the internet is great.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:23 pm
trixx wrote:
Some threads make me roll my eyes like "woman have you never heard of Google. A little self-sufficiency please... You will get a quicker and more accurate answer from Google than from this site."

But for discussions or frum topics this site is invaluable.

Point well made trixx. I read a ton of books, both fiction and non fiction and there are terms, words or concepts I want to know more about and Google is where I go. It's a way to instantly gratify and slack my curiosity.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yea my frequently asked questions phrase in on my toolbar. It's not like using the old boolean search methods.

Exactly. Oh, the drudgery of typing in "Candy AND Floss NOT Cane OR Apple"...and Heaven help you if you couldn't spell. But even with my deplorable typing skills, the search engine asks me "did you mean....?"and almost always gets it right.

And I find out such fascinating trivia. For example, a search on how to take trumah and maaser from Israeli produce revealed the existence of a Dutch artist named Maaser.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:27 pm
yksraya wrote:
And google is not all relyable, as many results are also from blogs where ppl just say their opinion or experiance. For a real answer one asks a dr, proffesional, rav etc. For little questions here and there, or basic research the internet is great.

That's where the filter in your brain comes out. If I'm asking a science question about how much yeast I need to lift 5lbs of flour I won't click on a blog that comes up in the search. Mostly I don't click on any blogs because I don't have a need for them.

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That's where the filter in your brain comes out. If I'm asking a science question about how much yeast I need to lift 5lbs of flour I won't click on a blog that comes up in the search. Mostly I don't click on any blogs because I don't have a need for them.

yeah, I know, just saying that google brings you results from everywhere and not all are reliable.

I do google a lot. But if something lets say medical comes up, I do ask a dr. (Sometime after googling etc).

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:36 pm
yksraya wrote:
yeah, I know, just saying that google brings you results from everywhere and not all are reliable.

I do google a lot. But if something lets say medical comes up, I do ask a dr. (Sometime after googling etc).

I don't use Google instead of a Dr. If I am seeking info on a medical condition to learn more about it, I'll start with Wiki and then check the bibliography for primary sources or go to a site like the Mayo Clinic online.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:00 pm
Sometimes imamother comes up first in google results! DH reads imamother threads sometimes when he googles "how to cook a brisket" or something like that. Very Happy

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

University and government agency websites are usually as reliable as it is possible for a human product to be. I won't say the Mayo Clinic or National Institutes of Health website is infallible (is anyone?), but you can be pretty sure it won't tell you you can cure infertility by smearing your skin with bat guano and dancing naked under the full moon.

myself

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:10 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Sometimes imamother comes up first in google results! DH reads imamother threads sometimes when he googles "how to cook a brisket" or something like that. Very Happy

Yep, that was my immediate reaction to the thread title. I assumed you were wondering if Ima was being used instead of Google by the world at large due to it's frequent appearance on the first page of a Google search.

I love Google and use it all the time! It won't be surpassed that quickly.
Ima is for questions/discussions/vents related to the myriad aspects of Jewish life.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:31 pm
Anything related to intimacy topics I would rather see a fairly tzanua answer on here than what might possibly come up (and probably crash my filter) on google.

Jewish related topics as well. And shopping resources.

Also, for example, if I want to know about a marriage-related book, I would want to ask ladies here if it was appropriate for a frum marriage or not (e.g. was there too much inappropriate material).

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:23 pm
This is my frum google. Because, like others said already, if I google how to make overnight potato kugel I am likely to get a few Imamother threads as a response.

I wouldn't search here for basic or medical info, but I might ask what people's experiences were in regards to that information.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:32 pm
If I search a child-rearing question, I end up with secular forums as most of my results. I might as well ask the question here where there are more people with a similar hashkafa to mine.

Also what others said upthread about any Jewish topics.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:38 pm
tigerwife wrote:
This is my frum google. Because, like others said already, if I google how to make overnight potato kugel I am likely to get a few Imamother threads as a response.

I wouldn't search here for basic or medical info, but I might ask what people's experiences were in regards to that information.

Yea it's certainly a frum women's google for a segment of the community, even if you aren't registered you can still read and learn.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 4:59 pm
I truly love Wikipedia. I know that anybody can edit it, so I only use it for absolutely non-controversial matters. But there are a lot of those.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics