Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Has Ima replaced Google?
Previous  1  2

Has Ima replaced Google?
Yes  
 5%  [ 4 ]
No  
 46%  [ 31 ]
sometimes  
 46%  [ 31 ]
other, please explain  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 67

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:15 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I truly love Wikipedia. I know that anybody can edit it, so I only use it for absolutely non-controversial matters. But there are a lot of those.

Just use the bibliography at the bottom of the page, there is a way to view the editing history as well.

shoshana2

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 5:25 pm
DH calls it Rabbi/Dr. Google

Redbird

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 6:19 pm
I use Google to search imamother! Because the search engine works better.

Search like this: "brisket recipe site:www.imamother.com"

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 6:31 pm
I chose other bc sometimes I think ppl are turning here instead of google, I can't even count the number of times, I've found an answer to someone's thread by using google...

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:37 pm
This thread is reminding me to go back to a recent question I posted about weather my frozen chicken soup from pesach would still be good to serve in November.

I was surprised when someone suggested google/linked me to a gov't food safety site. I was asking specifically on Imamother because I imagined that other women here had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the specific situation.

OTOH- when people ask things like "How do I dye a shell" or "What size photos do I need for passport pictures" -- These, I really think, you could look up on Gooogle and get a more accurate response, more quickly.

Obviously, questions like, "Who has a hemsishe but not chassidishe morning play group for 2yo boys in Brooklyn near Avenue J?" are best asked here.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:47 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:

I was surprised when someone suggested google/linked me to a gov't food safety site. I was asking specifically on Imamother because I imagined that other women here had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the specific situation.

Yes, but Mrs. X's personal experience should not be what guides you in a case such as this. Mrs. X's family may have exceptionally strong constitutions because she routinely serves food just this side of spoilage and they have developed a sort of immunity. (There is a book out by a woman whose mother was certifiably nuts and used to serve the family food that had crossed over into public-health-menace territory, yet, miraculously, they all survived to adulthood.)

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 12:06 am
Google is for "what to do when your kid has 101 fever" , Imamother is for what is your personal experience in making your kid more comfortable, type of searches.

grace413

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 3:03 am
zaq wrote:
but you can be pretty sure it won't tell you you can cure infertility by smearing your skin with bat guano and dancing naked under the full moon.

Too bad I didn't know this earlier......

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 10:49 am
Kugglegirl wrote:
are best asked here. ...

For some of us our personal experience is using govt. food safety sites.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 10:11 am
zaq wrote:
University and government agency websites are usually as reliable as it is possible for a human product to be. I won't say the Mayo Clinic or National Institutes of Health website is infallible (is anyone?), but you can be pretty sure it won't tell you you can cure infertility by smearing your skin with bat guano and dancing naked under the full moon.

Of course not, you have to do it for 40 days and promise to publicize when it is successful.

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 2:57 pm
I use google many times a day. Except shabbos when I suffer in ignorance, unless we have the correct book.

But sometimes google searches will bring me up to forums similar to imamother. In that case, I may as well ask on here where I have some idea if the respondent is reliable or not.

And so many times recipe searches bring me right here.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics