Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Are kids with constant TV and video games normal?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:28 pm
Are kids with constant TV and video games normal? I have a relative who lets their kids watch as much as they want and the kids don't seem normal. Am I being overly concerned?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:29 pm
MYOB

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:55 pm
Unless you are in some way involved in planning their chinuch then there is nothing you can or should do.
If it's a very close relative who asks your advice you can mention the dangers of TV.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 12:04 am
What's normal?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 12:27 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Unless you are in some way involved in planning their chinuch then there is nothing you can or should do.
If it's a very close relative who asks your advice you can mention the dangers of TV.

What are the dangers?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 12:39 am
Too much tv and video games are definitely not ideal for kids (let alone anybody!) I grew up in a home where I definitely watched way too much tv and my brothers played way too much video games. But I think grew up to be "normal" if you can even define that. I'm a nice person, college educated, well read and have a life not revolved around tv. However, I do think video games negatively affected my brothers behavior.

I do allow my child to watch tv (well not tv, but carefully selected videos and movies), but it's usually only once a week for about an hour as a treat before Shabbat starts while I finish getting ready for shabbos. I find videos DO affect my particular child's behavior, so that's why it's strictly limited. And it's definetly taken away for any behavior issues.

It's the same with video games - I find playing video games seems to affect my kid's behavior. So video games are a rare treat in this house. Maybe once a month my child will get to play a video game, but only with his father, so father-son bonding time. And we do have an iPad with some games (mostly educational) on it, that my son is allowed to play on a rare occasion (ie... Long car trip).

I think tv and games are best done in limited moderation with proper adult supervision and time limits set.

Since tv/video games are limited in my house, my child knows how to actually entertain himself with toys, books and using his imagination.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
What are the dangers?

Assuming you are asking that question seriously:
- Watching bad things , learning bad behaviors, bad words, etc.
- becoming addicted
- having no attention span, google constant tv and add , there is a very high correlation
- having difficulties in school, difficulty with classroom learning both in paying attention and b/c school is not interesting when compared to tv
-not knowing how to self entertain

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 10:30 am
is it normal? yes, in the sense that it is very common. is it healthy? no. do the kids in question seem abnormal because of the constant screen time? you have no way of knowing. it's possible the kids have some issues and the parents find it easier to deal with them if they are occupied by moving images on a screen. mind your own business. if you want, you can invite these relatives over and plan a visit with lots of fun activities. that's a good thing to do with any related kids.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
What are the dangers?

Becoming addicted. For some young children, confusing what they watch with reality.

I remember when I was a teen, I was babysitting my nieces for a few hours (sis and hubby had to go somewhere for the day) and one niece, who watched way too much, refused to anything but sit and watch Disney movies. It was a gorgeous day and I wanted to take the kids out to the local playground, get them moving with fresh air...I had to drag her away from the set.

I think everything is good in moderation. Balance is the key.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics