Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Frozen kibbe balls

giselle

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:31 pm
I bought frozen kibbe balls from Jerusalem Glatt. I fried them but they seem kind of bland. What can I do with them to make them taste better?

etky

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 1:29 am
Are you sure they were meant to be fried and not for soup?
The soup kubbe are doughier and can be bland. They're usually round.
Maybe just serve then with some fresh lemon and hot sauce or a spicy matboucha type dip.

cbg

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 8:13 am
They are probably the soup kind with ground rice instead of bulgar
Make Hammut
This is how I make mine
Celery root
Carrots
Celery
Zucchini
Everything diced medium size
Boil like soup
Add to taste lemon, mint, salt
Sometimes I add tomato sauce, it's called something different with tomato sauce, I don't remeber

Or you can make cherry kibbe if you like sweet.
I don't have a recipe though.
It uses canned sweet cherries

giselle

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 8:44 am
I'm not sure of anything etky;)

Thanks cbg!

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 8:51 am
I've made similar to above mentioned soup, but add a nice amount of chopped garlic.

I've seen also kibbe with mushrooms, or kibbe with peas. You do have to add seasoning to make it more tasty. All spice and maybe a little cinnamon will give it an authentic Syrian flavor.

cbg

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 2:12 pm
giselle wrote:
I'm not sure of anything etky;)

Thanks cbg!

If they are round they are made of ground rice and ground meat,used in either broth/sauce, or like simple 1 said with peas or mushrooms. The ones you fry are torpedo shaped, made with bulgar.

I make kibble hamut (broth) instead of cholent serve it with rice. I live in FL, so cholent is too heavy, unless it cold (50).

Simple 1 can you give me the recipe for kibble balls and mushrooms. Is it the same recipe for peas with the substitution?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:27 pm
I also suspect they are soup kibbes, esp if imported from Israel.

We have slightly different soup to cook kibbe/kubabas in. It's deep purplish/reddish tomato-beetroot concoction, very satisfying and comforting in winter weather. You start sauteeing about 2-3 chopped onions, 1 rib chopped celery, 3-4 whole garlic cloves in 2-3 tbsp. oil and generous dash or two of salt. Once onions are transparent but before it starts to brown, you add 2 large or 4 medium, peeled and grated beetroots (cooked prepackaged ones are ok) and sautee for another 5min or so. Add 2-3 tablespoons sugar, and about 5-6 cups of broth (or use beef soup cube in water). Continue cooking for 30min or so till vegetables are soft, turn off heat and add juice of 1 lemon. Drop frozen soup kibbe for the last 15min or so of the cooking.

giselle

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:31 pm
As I had already fried them, I warmed them up in an eggplant dip and they were actually really good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics