Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
How to Price Household Items for Moving Sale from IL to US

jross214

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 5:39 am
I'm moving from Israel to US and I'm selling all our household items.

All furniture and appliances are two years old or newer and were in a pet and smoke free, 2-person household.

What's the accepted discount rate for pricing the items? How much should I discount the appliances current lowest prices (ie, currently sells for as low as 1000, how much should I sell for)? How much for American furniture and linens, dishes, etc.?

TIA

LisaS

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:22 am
People expect used to be significantly cheaper than new, even if it is less than two years old and well-maintained.

I would expect to pay about half of the average price. I would also expect to pay in shekels, even though you probably have more use for dollars.

bigblueyes

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:42 am
Yes, I have seen people price moving sales ridiculously high and then being stuck with the merchandise. Rather get rid of it for not as much I would think.

November

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 6:44 am
Where are you located? Please let us know sale details

Smile1234

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:25 am
I've heard of people in israel deducting 10% pf the full price for every year that an item was used.

anonimouse

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 5:02 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
I've heard of people in israel deducting 10% pf the full price for every year that an item was used.

That may be, but I wouldn't be willing to buy a used 2-year old item for 20 percent off. If I'm going to buy something used, it's not worth it to me unless it's significantly cheaper than the store.
Otherwise, I'll go to the store, pay a little more or look for a sale and get to choose exactly the model that I want and get the warranty that goes with it.

luppamom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 5:18 pm
anonimouse wrote:
That may be, but I wouldn't be willing to buy a used 2-year old item for 20 percent off. If I'm going to buy something used, it's not worth it to me unless it's significantly cheaper than the store.
Otherwise, I'll go to the store, pay a little more or look for a sale and get to choose exactly the model that I want and get the warranty that goes with it.

This. If I'm going to go through the trouble to look at second hand stuff, it better be worth it! I agree with 50% (or more) off for second hand. OP, the last thing you want is to be giving stuff away b/c you have no takers b/c prices are too high.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains