Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did you do Distance Learning? What did you learn?

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 2:29 pm
I would love to pursue a career and have the time now to study -- the problem is that my mobility is currently limited so distance learning is my only option.

I realise that not all fields can be studied via distance learning so I'd love to hear what you studied to gain a better idea of what's available. For some reason I'm totally stumped for ideas but need to make a decision soon.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 5:25 pm
I got a court reporting degree entirely online, except for the interning.

Where are you located?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 5:47 pm
do you have a BA? I'm pursuing a mixed humanities degree online but I honestly have no idea where it will lead.

If you are in the UK look at the Open University which has a wide range of courses and a good reputation. (you can do it from outside the UK too but its more expensive) Israel also has an O.U but no idea how it works.

You can look online for careers advice - what are you good at? writing? science? maths? Try and get an idea of what interests you, and then look for the best online course.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:19 pm
I started with my associates first and hope to go into psychology or counseling. The associates and bachelors can be done online, maybe the masters too.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:23 pm
I wanted to do nursing but I needed a bachelors first to get into an accelerated program. I did the science classes at a local community college and the rest was a combination of distance learning, CLEPs and credit by exam. The nursing program was school based though and took 15 months.

alef12

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:30 pm
The online courses I took were much harder than the classroom based ones. For the classroom ones you just have to show up, do any required homework and do well on your exams. The online classes I took required inteligent participation in discussions and A LOT of homework. The tests were timed and were very difficult since it was assumed you had access to textbooks, lecture notes etc... But of course due to the timed aspect there was really no time to look things up.
For example: I took online "Human Biology" the same semester as calculus in person and found the calculus much easier!

anonymrs

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 10:37 pm
Do you have any idea what your interests are?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
do you have a BA? I'm pursuing a mixed humanities degree online but I honestly have no idea where it will lead.

If you are in the UK look at the Open University which has a wide range of courses and a good reputation. (you can do it from outside the UK too but its more expensive) Israel also has an O.U but no idea how it works.

You can look online for careers advice - what are you good at? writing? science? maths? Try and get an idea of what interests you, and then look for the best online course.

Yup, you guessed it, I'm in the UK. I've looked at OU but it's just all so confusing. I would really like to study something that will provide gainful employment within the Jewish world. What sort of jobs are available with a degree in Humanities?

What else have others done? I need ideas to help me choose!

I'm good at lots of things b'h and I think that's what makes it all the more complicated as it's harder to decide. Science is not my line. I'm great at writing but it doesn't seem to be a lucrative field. Nursing/Speech and Language/PT can't be done via distance learning. Accounting too much of a flooded field IMO. Legal stuff a consideration but I can't imagine meeting the three years of in-office employment requirement.

I would love to be self-employed...

Please help me brainstorm!

chaiz

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:40 am
I learned graphics at Design Alive. It was live classes in your home via the web with quite a bit of work. But it can be a great option for opening your own business afterwards and work from home. They also offer interior design, web design and motion graphics. I have no idea about the quality of those courses, but I suggest you look into it.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:15 am
Thanks to those who responded. Bumping up for more!

shatzileh

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 10:37 pm
Columbia University has an online program for their School of Engineering Applied Sciences. It's a regular Columbia degree, same work, same professors, same tests, diploma doesn't say anything about online. http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:33 am
shatzileh wrote:
Columbia University has an online program for their School of Engineering Applied Sciences. It's a regular Columbia degree, same work, same professors, same tests, diploma doesn't say anything about online. http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/

Thanks Shatzileh, what sort of job would someone do with a degree in engineering?

shatzileh

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 8:50 am
Just about anything in STEM, excluding practicing medicine on patients. Some options include programmer, biomedical engineer, chemical engineer (very varied but this can include beauty industry, and possibly pharmaceuticals) , civil engineer, operations, data scientist, career in finance, research in any of the said fields, and much much more. It looks like they also have an MBA/MS option, so that takes you to management positions in general.

My advice in general is, as always, to pursue a career in something that interests you. For a Columbia degree in engineering, even more so. Don't just do it for the job options, do it because you enjoy it. The work is hard, the degree is expensive, but it's ultimately worth it intellectually and financially. All parnassah is ultimately from Hashem, but an Ivy League degree on your resume is a very helpful hishtadlus step.

(edit to add biomedical engineering)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics