Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Secular Parenting book recommendations

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:16 pm
A relative of mine has requested recommendations for parenting books. This is for a secular couple, with younger kids.
I thought "How to talk to kids so they'll listen" was a good starting point.
Any other ideas?

baschabad

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:01 pm
Also by those authors: Liberated parents, liberated children.
Same ideology: How to raise an emotionally intelligent child (or something like that) by John Gottman

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:13 pm
Yes I second how to talk so kids will listen. Its a great book. I read it once by my sil and now im trying to get a hold of my own copy.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:17 pm
Hold on to Your Kids, Gordon Neufeld

Unconditional Parenting, Alfie Kohn

anon because I recommend these irl all the time.

married123

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 3:18 pm
The whole brain child. Great for kids of all ages!

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:30 pm
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Do you think these books would be useful to parents of a child with ASD, or are they really for typically developing kids (I have a different family in mind as well as the aforementioned couple).

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:54 pm
Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids by Sura Hart and Victoria something-or-other

Parenting from the Inside Out

These two have transformed my relationships with my children. In conjunction with support from people who support such a lifestyle.

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 5:03 pm
Raising Your Spirited Child.

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 5:27 pm
Easy to love, difficult to discipline

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 7:08 pm
For ASD: Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism, by Barry Prizant, is excellent.
Also, Building Healthy Minds by Stanley Greenspan, and any of his other books are great for parents of ASD

dr. pepper

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 7:11 pm
1) The well behaved child by john rosemond
2) The nurtured heart...can't remember by who.
Both fantastic books and ideas.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 7:47 pm
Sorry, Dr. Pepper, the two books you mentioned are polar opposites and advocate totally different approaches. The first, by johnn rosemond, advocates a highly authoritarian parent centered approach with an emphasis on punishment, and dismissing children's individual makeups and needs. His approach is highly controversial and is better suited to a fundamentalist Christian family than a progressive Jewish one.

The second, the nurtured heart approach, is the polar opposite, advocating for a nurturing, supportive, child centered approach in tune with the child's inner emotional world and needs. His book is an excellent read and should be on a recommended reading list to empower parents.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:46 pm
The One Minute Mother.
I read it years ago and liked it but don't remember enough to elaborate
( embarrassed) ( Wink )

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:05 pm
As the parent of an ASD child I don't like the super progressive parenting books because they strongly emphasize a lot of verbal communication, negotiation, and back and forth. I don't like Unconditional Parenting in general (and it will be in total conflict with any even mildly behavioral therapy they do), but while I find Faber & Mazlish to be of some use, it isn't with an ASD kid. Too talky, too much trying to get the kid to express his feelings that he doesn't have the language for. A more typical approach would be 1-2-3 Magic, which is simplistic, but effective with toddlers and preschoolers.

Faber & Mazlish (How to Talk...) is, in my opinion, better suited for somewhat older children who have the ability to engage in verbal negotiation. With younger children, especially those on the spectrum, you want to focus on clarity and simplicity.

I have a lot of books to recommend about autism, but they aren't really parenting books per se--they are autism books that teach parents how to interact with their child in order to understand them and adapt their parenting appropriately.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:24 am
I dunno, I don't imagine most parents of a kid with autism would appreciate a gift of a book about parenting kids with autism unless it was on their shared wish list. All kids and all parents with ASD are different, there are so many different approaches, most parents are already researching their brains out. I don't see any particular book as being an especially helpful gift - though I do have books I've enjoyed and would recommend to someone who's looking for one.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:23 am
I second How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child.

How to Kindle a Soul was written by an orthodox rabbi, but was geared to a more general audience.

How to Raise your Children Without Raising Your Voice by Sarah Chana Radcliff was definitely one of the best parenting books I ever read. She deals with toddlers through teenagers. She's orthodox, but she wrote the book to everyone (Jewish, not Jewish, religious, not religious). She talks about emotional coaching, effective punishments, keys to a strong healthy parent child relationship, teaching your child how to listen to you, etc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:49 am
Anything John Rosemond
Blessing of a skinned knee

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:12 pm
I like Parenting with Love and Logic
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children