Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Milwaukee

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:08 pm
Any imamothers live there? What's the frum community like? Price of living (rent, food, gas, other such things)? How's the job market with regards to the field of health information (billing/coding/insurance/medical records)? Salary? Clothing shopping? Kosher food places (groceries and eateries)? Any other info would be great. Didn't mention schools because no kids yet, one on way, and we are not looking to live there looking term. Maybe a yr, at most two, only if job opportunity available. Thanks!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:10 pm
There are two primary from neighborhoods in Milwaukee. There is Rabbi Twerski's community and the WITS yeshiva community. I live on the west side which Rabbi Twerski's kehilla. It is a very warm, close knit community where people are very growth oriented. There is not so much emphasis on gashimyus and I find the families here to be very genuine. I can't tell you about the market in your particular field. Housing is very affordable (you can buy a nice size house for around $200,000). There is a local Kosher grocery store that sells meat, deli, and josher grocery products. There is a non-kosher chain store on the other side of town that has a large kosher section including meat, fish and sushi. There are no kosher bakeries or restaurants as of now. Baked goods are brought in from chicago. For clothing there are all the same non-jewish stores as everywhere else, Macys, off saks, nordstrom, gap, old navy, marshalls, etc. The shul is beautiful, mikvah is clean, and there is a very nice elementary school and a few playgroups (in case you stay until there are children in the picture). The weather is similar to NY, very cold in the winter!

shaimac1

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 7:47 am
I know that you are looking into Milwaukee, but are you open to other small Torah Communities in the Midwest? I am originally from Milwaukee, but moved two years ago to South Bend, Indiana (we are also 2 hours from Chicago like Milwaukee but we are east of Chicago vs North). South Bend has a lower cost of living than Milwaukee in terms of taxes, and has a much lower crime rate than Milwaukee (mind you I love the TWERSKI'S and I lived there for half my life, but safety is an important factor). You mentioned not having kids yet, but we have a Torah day school and Bais Yaakov high school here too. We have two shuls both within the ERUV, Mikvah, and Kosher Grocery store too. South Bend actually has an organization that is helping Orthodox families find jobs in their area to move there called CDI South Bend. Michall Goldman (michallgoldman@gmail.com) is running the organization and doing a really great job of helping people find work. Since South Bend is a manufacturing town the more specific jobs like medical billing and coding are ones that they are able to fill a bit more. CDI even has a website you can visit it at www.cdisouthbend.com. Hope this helps and good luck finding the right community for your family!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:44 am
Is there a community kollel in Milwaukee? Are they recruiting for next year? Who would be the one to contact? We are trying to find a suitable out of town city , also on the frummer side, and relatively cheap to live in.

shaimac1

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:47 am
The South Bend Kollel is taking new people. Please e-mail michallgoldman@gmail.com to learn more. Not sure if the Milwaukee Kollel is taking new people.

babula

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 11:54 am
Don't forget lake park synagogue in Milwaukee.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 11:59 am
No one else from Milwaukee?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 2:36 pm
Thanks for responses. Yes open to other communities. South bend would b interesting because my husband went to yeshiva there actually Smile

shaimac1

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:10 pm
There are a ton of Yeshiva of South Bend graduates that are living in South Bend currently my husband is one also. Depending on when he attended our husband's may know each other! Feel free to email me anytime at michallgoldman@gmail.com if you want to talk more!!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:15 pm
Okeedokes thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating