Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What is your favorite Jewish children's book?
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:43 pm
I have a certain amount of money set aside for Jewish children's books. I want ones that teach lessons that the children can not gain from secular books.
Any recommendations?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 6:46 pm
Bat 'em in Benji. Best book ever. It's written in rhyme, and the author can actually rhyme! The story is adorable. Well written, and teaches a great lesson.

ProudMommie

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:48 pm
All the Effy books Effy finds a friend, Effy helps out
How mitzvah giraffe got his long long neck
all collection of stories, bedtime, etc...tzaddikim

I would look at Eichlers...

Also, what I always found great is making up a character and then telling stories (simple ones) teaching middos and something relevant to the child in particular through this character... Children usually love that.

Hatzlacha and arbe nachat!

ohnuts!

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:54 pm
Is it shabbos yet. My kids love this book. shows how the family prepares for shabbos

yogabird

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:56 pm
As Big as an Egg

nature

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:01 pm
Yossi and leibel series. Great middos taught. By dina rosenfeld.
Wherever we go. about hashem.being everywhere. Illlstrations are amazing too.By Chani altein.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:03 pm
any gadi pollack book.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:04 pm
ohnuts! wrote:
Is it shabbos yet. My kids love this book. shows how the family prepares for shabbos
This and the Yossi and Laibel books.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:12 pm
Love Chaim Ephraim and the shabbos guests - such a great lesson (though some of the scenarios are a bit silly) and the young lamplighters series - so educational

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:40 pm
Great suggestions. I've always loved As Big as an Egg. And it's fun to read aloud, too.

I don't know if we're talking early or late preschool. If you want some oldies but goodies, Manny's a Thief, by Getzel, is fun and a perennial favorite.
Lauren Hodes has a few books: The Thirty One Cakes; Who Would have Guessed, It's all for the best; Too Big Too Little Just Right.
Yeshara Gold: Just a Week to Go, Hurry Friday's a Short Day (bonus: gorgeous pics of E"Y)
Dina Rosenfeld: the Yossi and Leibels which are great fun to read aloud, and other books.

Really, I don't have a favorite. I love too many books. But I'm thinking of some good bang for your buck and these come to my tired mind. To be continued, I'm sure...

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

simcha2

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:43 pm
Stories straight from Avi's heart.

Great stories for emotional development

12rivkyk34

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:43 pm
Agree with Yossi & Leibel books & Avi's Heart.
Also 'Benjy's Room'...'What Would You Do If It Happened To You'...'Mommy Tell Me More'...I happen to love the 'Amazing Facts and Feats'- it's Jewish so you know the content is kosher and teaches little kids so many interested topics with the most stunning pictures. 'Animal World' also has great pictures. We love 'Way too Much Challah Dough' although it's not any major lesson. There's a stunning book called 'A Mitzvah that Landed on my Windowsill' about shiluach hakan that has clear real pictures. Another favorite is 'Room for One More'- a funny book talking about being happy with what you have. And oh- 'Messes of Dresses'- same topic and also so cute.
Enjoy!!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:56 pm
ohnuts! wrote:

My absolute favorite! It has the repetition so beneficial in children's literature, yet doesn't rhyme. It really irks me that the frum writers/publishers seems to feel that any book worth its salt must rhyme!

I also love Dovy and the Surprise Guests, by Goldie Golding.

Facts and Feats is also great, but for older children.

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:45 pm
Is it Shabbos Yet- it really engages children. As a preschool counselor one year, I got to observe a few model lessons when the principal was sifting through candidates. It was a really rowdy class and though most candidates couldn't hold the kids' interest, there was one girl who spent her model lesson reading and discussing Is It Shabbos Yet. The kids were in a trance- the most rambunctious boys were sitting quietly, completely engrossed. It captured them all.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:04 am
Another vote for Is it Shabbos Yet! Absolutely love love love it! Also I really like the Deena Dee series. Deena Dee and her sharing friends, Deeda Dee and that other girl, there are a lot of them. I find them so realistic and kids that age can really relate and understand her and the story.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:26 am
OMG I had totally forgotten about Is it Shabbos Yet! We had that when I was a kid and I definitely remember reading it to my nieces and nephews and now that I have my own kids I didn't even remember that it existed. I wonder if it's still around here somewhere. I remember thinking as an adult that Malky looks like a total slave. But to the kids it's all fun.

sallee

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:11 am
I second stories straight from Avi's heart! Best book ever!

etky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:27 am
seeker wrote:
OMG I had totally forgotten about Is it Shabbos Yet! We had that when I was a kid and I definitely remember reading it to my nieces and nephews and now that I have my own kids I didn't even remember that it existed. I wonder if it's still around here somewhere. I remember thinking as an adult that Malky looks like a total slave. But to the kids it's all fun.

I always thought it was interesting that Malky's father only appears at the end of the book, once it's Shabbos, after all the preparations have been completed by the 'womenfolk' Confused
That said, my youngest really enjoyed this book. Kids like the repetition and the build up to the final, gratifying "Yes, Malky, now it's Shabbos". Sort of reminds me of "Are You My Mother" by P.D. Eastman, another children's favorite.
My kids also loved the Yossi and Leibel books. I loved them too, the stories as well as the wonderful illustrations.
Gadi Pollack too is a fantastic illustrator.

ahuva06

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:19 am
My all time favorite is But I’m Just a Little Bird by Eileen S. Greene and illustrated by Norman Nodel but I think it is out of print Sad
I also love the Yossi and Leibel series. I do not like the Deena Dee's because I find that there are WAY too many words on a page and although the kids may enjoy the books, I run out of patience reading them!

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:14 am
The secret of the leaves, teaches about moderating tone of voice. The little white lie - I think in the eli series. Dovi and the surprise guest- I dont know if still in print but super a adorable....("theres always room for one more.....")
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers