Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Easy but healthy dinner

twogees

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:28 pm
Does anyone have any ideas for healthy dinners that are quick and easy and inexpensive?

smss

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:47 pm
What's your idea of healthy? That word means so many different things to different people.

(I guess quick, easy, and inexpensive do, too!)

twogees

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:11 pm
fish, eggs, chicken......but would also like a variety.....

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:39 pm
Chicken nuggets (dipped in duck sauce after breaded, before fried) in a lettuce salad with store bought dressing is my favorite quick n easy dinner to make...

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:52 pm
Tuna patties with corn on the cob?

That's one of my cheapest suppers. I think it's healthy...

November

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:13 am
How about some sort of soup (vege, chicken, minestrone, butternut squash) plus egg salad, rice and israeli salad.

cuffs

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:21 am
I got myself a grill pan and it really helps to make healthy easy dinners!
I made grilled vegetables the other day and they came out so good! It was polished!
Grilled chicken on the grill pan. Just heat it up, no oil necessary! And it has these awesome lines and just add spices.
I've grilled burgers on it, tuna steaks (expensive)
My grill pan really helps me. It's a worth while I investment.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:27 am
I make a salad of barley/brn rice and beans with some onions and sun dried tomatoes. Then I eat it with whatever protein I have on hand. I used some of the leftovers in burritos tonight with some leftover chicken chilli verde.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:53 am
- Greek salad with added garbanzo beans (or a chopped hard-boiled egg) for extra protein. Serve with whole wheat rolls and/or a vegetable soup.

- Simple Israeli salad + cheese-and-vegetable omlettes

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:08 am
Lately, my kids are crazy for Israeli salad, and they make it themselves. Then I'll just encourage a protein, white cheese, egg, tuna, of there's leftover chicken or chicken soup from Shabbos, they can have that.

We a lot of pasta. Pasta with a tomato based sauce either with cheese or meatballs (from ground turkey). Sometimes it's pasta with white cheese or cottage cheese and an Isreali salad.

Salad bars are good. Cut up different veggies and/or canned veggies, that are each in their own bowl, and let the kids pick which veggies they want to put on their plate. You can have cheese, tuna, egg salad, chickpeas also to pick from for protein.

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:52 am
Eggs with a side of sauteed zucchini or sweet potato or carrots.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:14 am
If you want easy, put some chicken pieces, potatoes and veg. in a crockpot in the morning.
You can also roast chicken in the oven on top of frozen hash brown potatoes (though we do that for Shabbos sometimes, not weekday).
Yes, you can do lots with eggs for supper, or other lighter protein.
You can bake potatoes in the morning, scoop out the insides, combine as you wish to keep it healthy, and reheat a bit before supper.
You can slice raw chicken cutlets, flash freeze them so you can take out a few at a time, and cook on a grill pan - just use lots of spray and seasoning, no marinating necessary.
Try crockpot meat sauce.

The night before, you can slice lots of veggies for roasting. If you use onions, you can add oil and seasonings, and then put in oven an hour or so before supper.
You can also prep potatoes - peel and keep in water, or parboil.

I know you're asking about proteins but if you have some interesting sides and soups, you can keep the protein simple, even a cheese platter can work. Though personally, we don't always do interesting sides to balance a cheese plate.

JenniferK

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:31 am
I make chicken lo mein with brown rice pasta in 15 minutes.

I saute chicken cubes with Pam for a few minutes until they're white then I add garlic plus whatever veggies I have on hand. F.e. broccoli, sugar snap peas, peppers, mushrooms, corn etc. I saute it for another 10 minutes. The chicken stays juicy and the vegables crispy. I combine it with cooked brown rice spaghetti which boils in 20 minutes. I add soy sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes. Yum! My kids favorite dinner!

JenniferK

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:33 am
Cuffs, how do you make the veggies on the grill pan?

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:36 am
We make tuna fish (or salmon, or sardines) and veggies and each person gets a sushi wrapper to build their own sushi. We usually cut the sushi wrapper into quarters, and each piece is like a wrap.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:18 am
Don't know how tight your budget is but my quick and healthy go-to meal is salmon (I buy wild - cut into 4-6 oz portions - and it cooks in minutes in the oven at high heat), steamed or roasted broccoli and cauliflower and quinoa.

cuffs

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:55 am
Jewishmommy2 wrote:
Cuffs, how do you make the veggies on the grill pan?

Sliced zucchini, onion cut in 4 and sliced yellow and orange peppers
Heat up the grill pan,
Pam or drizzle oil on pan.
Once really hot put zucchini and onions, add the peppers a few minutes later. Flipping and mixing the veggies every few minutes.
Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
I sprinkled a bit of terrayaki sauce.
It comes out SO good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen