Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Bridesmaid, can't wear what sister chose

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:35 am
I need some advice with what to wear as a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding this coming June. She chose this dress for her bridesmaids, of which I am one:

Bridesmaid dress

She's okay with me choosing something else as long as it meets some general guidelines. It has to be that color, and it cannot be a gown (she prefers knee-length)

Tznius dress is not super important to me but I do want something with sleeves. It's okay with me to show elbow and collarbone. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

I'm also wondering what to do with my hair. I usually wear a tichel. What would look good with this type of dress- should I try to match the blue or go for something like silver? Or should I try to rent a wig? I will be near San Francisco so I will bump this up when the California ladies wake up, maybe there will be a Chabad rebbetzin near SF who can tell me where to rent and style a wig locally?

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:44 am
Are you ok with the length? The dress is not expensive so you could buy two and build it up or have a cover-up made. I like the idea of a wig for a formal affair but you could use extra material for a teichel.

Also, you could consider renting a wig at home and flying with it. The wig might not be right for you if you are selecting it long distance.

nyer1

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:45 am
should be fairly easy to find a dress in any department store that is that color, I would think.

as far as hair, would you be comfortable buying a fall for really cheap? u can get a REALLY pretty headband or hair piece to match, or you can have a hairdresser pull out hair in the front and incorporate it all into a really nice half-up style or even a nice up-do

morah

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:06 am
You should be able to find that color at Macy's or Nordstrom. You can even poke around the David's Bridal website to see if other dresses that work better for you come in that color (most of their stuff has multiple color options). For tichel, I would wear a tichel of the same color but jazz it up with a glittery headband. Also, a fancy hat works if hats look good on you.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:22 am
Squishy wrote:
Are you ok with the length? The dress is not expensive so you could buy two and build it up or have a cover-up made. I like the idea of a wig for a formal affair but you could use extra material for a teichel.

Also, you could consider renting a wig at home and flying with it. The wig might not be right for you if you are selecting it long distance.

I second this. If you find a good seamstress, they can actually cut off the top and build something similar so you "match" without seeing any sort of weird lines.

spring13

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:45 am
Check through their website, they have plenty of non-strapless chiffon dress that you should be able to find in that exact color. If you find a sleeveless one and want just a bit of extra coverage, you can get an elbow-length shell, or a bolero or cropped cardigan.

Otherwise, google "modest bridesmaid dresses". You'll hit lots of Mormon websites with very nice stuff.

http://www.dressilyme.com/p-fa......html
http://www.dressilyme.com/p-ch......html

spring13

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:46 am
Oh, and in terms of tichel, I'd go with that blue (if possible), accented with some lace and a sparkly brooch or something like that. Check out the Wrapunzel Instagram, I bet you'll find some good inspiration.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:49 am
You can have a bolero style jacket made to match and let her make you a tichel of the same material if that's more comfortable for you than a sheitel.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:20 am
spring13 wrote:

http://www.dressilyme.com/p-fa......html

This is a fantastic idea. Especially because the neckline is pretty good, you could just match up a pretty bolero or sweater to it.

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:22 pm
Thanks, this was all super helpful! I really want to get something online and send it to my parents' house since I might be arriving pretty close to the wedding and it wouldn't leave me a lot of time to shop in person or build up the dress she picked.

Spring13, I did search for "modest blue dresses" and I didn't find anything too exciting but I didn't even think to look on the site of the original dress! I *love* the second dress you posted with the lace, I might just have to get it for myself anyway!

I sent my sister a few options and of them this is the one she liked the best: Nutcracker Blue Dress

Also asked her about wig vs. tichel and she had this to say: "You can do one of your scarfs I don't want you to be too uncomfortable with anything."

grace413

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:19 pm
Nutcracker Blue Dress

This is a beautiful dress. So sweet that your sister doesn't have a problem with you wearing a tichel because she wants you to be comfortable.

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 2:29 pm
grace413 wrote:
Nutcracker Blue Dress

This is a beautiful dress. So sweet that your sister doesn't have a problem with you wearing a tichel because she wants you to be comfortable.

Yeah she's a wonderful sister! I think the dress is gorgeous but the company got some really bad reviews when I checked. Bad customer service, poor fit and cheap fabric, misleading photos, etc. Also I'm tall so I'm afraid that skirt length will hit me mid-thigh!

chicco

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 2:36 pm
I have bought from shabby Apple before. My experience was not negative. I do not love their return policy, but I do love their clothes.

spring13

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:06 pm
Sadie wrote:

I sent my sister a few options and of them this is the one she liked the best: Nutcracker Blue Dress

Oooh, that's really pretty and you'll most likely be able to wear it again at other smachot. I love the kind of dresses they have at Shabby Apple and Modcloth.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:07 pm
Uw dresses would probably have what you are looking for. I ordered from them and was very happy.
They make your dress to order. Ships from China.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics