Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's the actual cost of educating your child in a yeshiva?
1  2  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:46 am
I realize it's an estimate but what's your best guess as to what the cost is and what city do you live in?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:16 am
I always assume the cost is what I'm paying (full tuition)... I don't think the schools are making profits. Do you?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
I always assume the cost is what I'm paying (full tuition)... I don't think the schools are making profits. Do you?

My husband is not on the board so I don't know for certain, but we always hear that in klie kodesh the pay is very low. With that in mind, in a typical yeshiva the upper elementary grades cost more than 10k and high schools are 15k+. I don't see how that can possibly be the real cost per child.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:25 am
Depends on the school -- what facilities are available, the teachers' credentials, etc.

BTW, your other thread on this topic is here:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....hter=

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Depends on the school -- what facilities are available, the teachers' credentials, etc.

BTW, your other thread on this topic is here:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....hter=

Thank you. I don't think its the same topic though. You obviously spend a lot of time browsing here!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:50 am
The Rebbi and the teacher alone cost the school close to 100k after salary + benefits + taxes
Then the building, utilities, principals, assistants, secretaries, resource rooms, food....

Why don't you think 10k per child makes sense/

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:53 am
My son's school claims 7400, which is more then tuition.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
The Rebbi and the teacher alone cost the school close to 100k after salary + benefits + taxes
Then the building, utilities, principals, assistants, secretaries, resource rooms, food....

Why don't you think 10k per child makes sense/

There has to be extra added to the official tuition charge to help cover the cost for the majority that aren't paying the official tuition, including rebbeim and teachers who get enormous discounts.

SRS

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:29 pm
At least out of town there is cross-subsidization, so you cost of tuition is higher than the total expense of running the school divided by the number of students. But, the capital costs are largely borne out by big donors.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:51 pm
Our school charges less then the 7400 they claim it costs it educate each child. Great staff, lots of administration, gorgeous new building with fields and pool.
They charge less tuition so everyone pays full or almost full.

They also claim the must raise 2.5 million over the tuition charge to cover expenses. And that doesn't include surprise extra expenses that come up with building maintenance.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
There has to be extra added to the official tuition charge to help cover the cost for the majority that aren't paying the official tuition, including rebbeim and teachers who get enormous discounts.

Most yeshivos do a tremendous amount of fundraising, and many will get certain government money as well (for example in NY to cover textbooks and certain technology). Some get money from local Federations or other organizations. Discounts may be covered by revenue streams other than tuition.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:49 pm
I work in administration of a school. And the costs are enormous.

This is a general breakdown. We have s whole fancy presentation that is made for potential donors with actual amounts for last 5 years and projected amounts for next 5 years. I would imagine most schools are similar.

1. Salaries
This includes all teachers, principals. supports staff, administration, cleaning staff tech support security fundraising etc.. It's enormous amount of salaries every month. Our school has about 600 students and a total staff of over 100 (some part time some full so even if everyone only gets 1500 a month which they don't. It's 150000 in salaries. But some salaries are way way more.
2: building- this includes mortgage rental mainance whatever. Upkeep. It's enormous. Do u know how many things break and need fixing and updating I'm not talking abut major renovations I'm talking broken windows blocked toilets faulty electrical wiring etc.. But primary is the mortgage.
3. Utilities- electricity, water, phones Internet. Its enormous what we pay. Ridiculous.
4. Supplies and copying. It's actually insane how much photo copying costs. Colored paper paint posters on walls for a classroom. It's never ending.
5. Insurance etc, security company fees etc..

These are fixed monthly costs. I am not even talking about the extras like new desks for this grade or putting a smart board in a classroom. Or adding on a new lab to the high school etc..

If

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:56 pm
We needed $750,000 to start a school with two classes and thirty students. Just start-up costs. I can't imagine how much greater is the number needed to run a good school with a few hundred or thousand students with up to date facilities, competent staff, a nice building, and everything else involved.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
I work in administration of a school. And the costs are enormous.

This is a general breakdown. We have s whole fancy presentation that is made for potential donors with actual amounts for last 5 years and projected amounts for next 5 years. I would imagine most schools are similar.

1. Salaries
This includes all teachers, principals. supports staff, administration, cleaning staff tech support security fundraising etc.. It's enormous amount of salaries every month. Our school has about 600 students and a total staff of over 100 (some part time some full so even if everyone only gets 1500 a month which they don't. It's 150000 in salaries. But some salaries are way way more.
2: building- this includes mortgage rental mainance whatever. Upkeep. It's enormous. Do u know how many things break and need fixing and updating I'm not talking abut major renovations I'm talking broken windows blocked toilets faulty electrical wiring etc.. But primary is the mortgage.
3. Utilities- electricity, water, phones Internet. Its enormous what we pay. Ridiculous.
4. Supplies and copying. It's actually insane how much photo copying costs. Colored paper paint posters on walls for a classroom. It's never ending.
5. Insurance etc, security company fees etc..

These are fixed monthly costs. I am not even talking about the extras like new desks for this grade or putting a smart board in a classroom. Or adding on a new lab to the high school etc..

If

So basically your saying that to run a school requires a tremendous amount of money. I don't think anyone would debate that point. On the flip side to send a kid to school requires an enormous amount of money. But I'm still no closer to answering my original question: If you added all the yearly expenses of a yeshiva and divided it by the amount of students in the yeshiva, approximately what number would you have??? $6000? $12,000? ?16,000 $17146.38? I just keep hearing "do you have any idea how expensive it is to run a yeshiva"? My answer is, no I don't, so please tell me in somewhat reliable and specific terms.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
My son's school claims 7400, which is more then tuition.

And my boys' school claims the same thing Smile Only they charge about $10k/kid. I was told that the $ above what it costs to educate my child can be counted as maaser so I asked the school how much it costs to educate my child and they told me about $7.5k/kid (I think it was not the first time they were asked the question and for the same reason as I asked it).

large, yeshivish boys school in tristate area (not lakewood or brooklyn)

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:49 pm
I know of an elementary school with just under 1000 kids, annual budget 10 million dollars, so about 10k per child. Payroll is 85% of the budget, nice building, art and gym and music.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 1:46 am
I can understand how it costs that much, but I can't understand how large families can afford it. 10k was my total annual income from my job for 2014.
Sometimes I get homesick for America (not so much in the past few years) but thinking of the cost of education would soon end those feelings.
For Bais Yaakov in Israel (at least the school my daughter goes to), tuition is 480 nis or $126 for the year.
My son's cheder 300 nis or about $75 a month x 12 so about $950 a year. He's in a special education track, so it's cheaper. I think the regular tuition is closer to 500 nis per month so about $1,500 per year.
I just can't imagine 10k per year times 4 kids. For all 4 of my kids, I'm paying around $5,000 a year total for school, gan, and maon (daycare). And everyone's in new buildings with great teachers, staff, administration.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 2:47 am
amother wrote:
So basically your saying that to run a school requires a tremendous amount of money. I don't think anyone would debate that point. On the flip side to send a kid to school requires an enormous amount of money. But I'm still no closer to answering my original question: If you added all the yearly expenses of a yeshiva and divided it by the amount of students in the yeshiva, approximately what number would you have??? $6000? $12,000? ?16,000 $17146.38? I just keep hearing "do you have any idea how expensive it is to run a yeshiva"? My answer is, no I don't, so please tell me in somewhat reliable and specific terms.

Most schools publish an annual budget which should outline and itemize their costs. Why don't you ask the school for a copy?

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:36 am
I know someone who runs a school and the fees are $10000 per child which she said does cover all the schools expenses.

But this obviously depends on many things, such as if the school has to pay rent or mortgage. An older school who bought a building in 1960 and has paid it off will have less expenses then a new school who just bought a building 2 years ago.

I'm sure a lot of schools have buildings paid for by donors too. Some schools are just better at fundraising.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:20 am
There is no one general answer. In a city where living expenses , rent, etc. is more expensive the salaries are more. It is very individual.
Also, for example, a teacher with a Masters might cost the school 10,000-$20,000 more a year than a teacher out of seminary.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics