Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where should we move?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:46 pm
We are a family with two little kids and looking to leave Brooklyn. I am looking for ideas for communities to look into. We want to live somewhere within a 14 hour drive to Brooklyn. The housing should be affordable (under 500k for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with yard). There should be a sense of community there, at least a few restaurants, BY type girls school and boys school thru 12th grade. We are yeshivish. Tell me the pros and cons of your community so I can get ideas of what to look into.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:24 pm
I've been living in Israel for over 10 years, so I'm not up to date on housing prices, but I think Milwaukee, WI and Richmond, VA would be in your price range, as well as in a 14-hour radius of Brooklyn. Maybe even Baltimore, Maryland.
Richmond is probably way too small a Jewish community for someone coming from Brooklyn, but I do know at least one person living there who grew up in Flatbush.
Milwaukee's Jewish community is much larger than Richmond's, and since I lived there in 2001, it's gotten even bigger. There are schools, shuls, restaurants or at least pizza shops. I remember there being many families who had relocated there from NY. It's much less expensive, and I think there's is some sort of gov't subsidy for private schools in WI. Rabbi Michel and Rebbetzin Faige Twersky have a kehillah there. There is also a second charedi community affiliated with a yeshiva high school there, W.I.T.S.
When I was there there were many families that sent their kids to school in Chicago instead of local if you want more options.
I didn't live in Baltimore, but there is a yeshivish community there, lots of kosher restaurants, lots of schools.
I know people in all three cities. If you want contact info, pm me.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:38 pm
I am in Chicago and you can get a house for under 500k. An average house here is 3 br and goes in the 300s so a 4 bedroom would probably be in the 400s.

There is a Bais Yaakov for a girls and a boys school called Tiferes Tzvi. They are getting a new building next year. Chicago is a nice balance of big community resources with friendly people of all kinds. We have a wide variety of shuls, shopping, an eruv and lots of parks and green spaces. I also like that the neighborhood where the bulk of the community is is really on the edge of the suburbs so you get a pretty suburban vibe while still being in the city.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:56 pm
There are sooooo many places within 14 hours that have nice houses for under 500 k.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:41 pm
pinkfridge- they have to have a boys high school and a few restaurants- Cincinnati for example doesn't qualify...

justforfun87

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:35 pm
Baltimore fits that criteria...but probably a lot of places do.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:43 pm
Hi there OP
I live in Baltimore, MD, it is about 3.5 hrs drive from Brooklyn. Beautiful 4-5 bedroom houses can be bought here starting from $250,000 for not such nice neighborhoods, going upwards to $600,000 for really really fancy newly built houses wiht garages. There are very nice neighborhoods with great houses for $300 - 400,000 typically.
There are two BY type girls schools, for boys there are TA and TI, TA goes through 12th grade, TI goes through 8th grade. For boys mesivtas there is Ner Yisrael, Bais Hamedrash adn mesivta of baltimore (rav Schlangers) adn TA. Lots of choice.
Baltimore is a big community, but there is great achdus within the community. There are many shuls to fit all types, and the rabbonim are excellent. some shuls build a sense of community to a great degree within the shul as well.

I think you should look into it. There are all the amenities that you could possbly want, grocery stores, restaruants, pizza places, jewish clothing stores. Tehre are quite a number of NY transplants here.
you should speak to frum realtors for an idea of which neigborhoods would suit you best. for some names: Aliza wein, sharon zuckerbrod, barry nabozny - just google them.

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:04 pm
Baltimore, Cleveland, and Detroit come to mind. Cost of living and housing is low, and they are all large and established communities with the infrastructure and amenities you're looking for.

shaimac1

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:38 am
Have you heard of South Bend, IN? We are a growing Torah Community (majority of the families are Yeshivish too) where you can get 3 bedroom homes for under 200k and where our property taxes for such home would be no more then $2,000 a year. We have Tuition Vouchers for families and you can make a decent amount of money a year and still qualify. We have a Bais Yaakov High School and our only a 12 hour drive from Brooklyn. (2 hours from Chicago, 3 from Detroit, and 4 from Cleveland too). Please feel free to check out our website at www.cdisouthbend.com to learn more including current job postings. CDI SOUTH BEND.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating