Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Considering moving my business to Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 12:04 am
Lakewood working mothers can you help me out on this?
I am considering moving to Lakewood and would relocate my online retail business as well.
I have 6 (all female) employees I would need to hire and was wondering what hourly salaries would be like for the following types of positions.
I give 1 wk paid vacation and all legal and Jewish Holidays off with no pay (including chol hamoed). Hours are 9-2.

a - office manager (1-2 yrs. experience)
b - customer service rep (no experience needed)
c - marketing (email, web and social media) (experience preferred)
d - wholesale accts rep.(1-2 yrs. experience)
e - 2 positions for packing orders (no experience needed)

thanks for your help!

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:26 am
a - office manager (1-2 yrs. experience) - $20.00-( $25.00) an hour
b- customer service. depends on age. from $12-$15
c- marketing (email, web and social media) (experience preferred) starting at $15- $18
d - wholesale accts rep.(1-2 yrs. experience) Not sure about this one
e- 2 positions for packing orders (no experience needed) - $12-$14

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 8:31 am
The starting salary for inexperienced post school is between $14-16 an hour. Generally they get $15.

Most young women would not take a job for $12 an hour, they can do way better.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
The starting salary for inexperienced post school is between $14-16 an hour. Generally they get $15.

Most young women would not take a job for $12 an hour, they can do way better.

Agree.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:41 am
Thank you all for all your help!
Some more questions:
How is the market now? is it hard to find empolyees? Where would you suggest I advertise?
Are women interested in part time jobs like this?
I am assuming I'd get just out of h.s./sem for packing&customer service but would really like married women for the wholesale/marketing and manager positions.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:27 am
a married lady is going to cost a minimum of $20 an hour

LTC and senior planning are paying that and they are hiring always

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:24 pm
You do know that paying workers differently based on age is illegal, right? You can pay more experienced workers more, in fact that's expected, but all other factors being equal, you could be sued for discrimination if you paid younger or single workers less than you pay older or married but equally qualified or unqualified ones.

mille

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:00 pm
zaq wrote:
You do know that paying workers differently based on age is illegal, right? You can pay more experienced workers more, in fact that's expected, but all other factors being equal, you could be sued for discrimination if you paid younger or single workers less than you pay older or married but equally qualified or unqualified ones.

It's also illegal to hire based on gender (OP said she wants women only) unless you can provide that it's a bona fide occupational qualification that cannot be adequately performed by, in OP's example, a man. Not saying that in OP's example being a woman is not a BFOQ but it is certainly something to think about, especially when there are other discriminatory hiring practices. I'd be careful about this, especially if you apparently are fully willing to admit you are following discriminatory practices.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:26 pm
mille wrote:
It's also illegal to hire based on gender (OP said she wants women only) unless you can provide that it's a bona fide occupational qualification that cannot be adequately performed by, in OP's example, a man. Not saying that in OP's example being a woman is not a BFOQ but it is certainly something to think about, especially when there are other discriminatory hiring practices. I'd be careful about this, especially if you apparently are fully willing to admit you are following discriminatory practices.

It's true that it's illegal. I always see ads in Lakewood or chareidi Brooklyn papers with job offer ads for males only/ females only, and I wonder how they get away with that!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:29 pm
This is a very small business, I don't know if all those rules apply. My daughter is working in a place that was small when she started there was only women, now the business has 4 times the amount of employees and they are hiring men as well.

If a married woman refuses a job because she doesn't like the pay that is not discriminatory. Usually married women are older and with experience so they get a higher rate, an older experienced single women will as well.

If a newly married 19 year old will get the same pay as a single person. Why would a business pay more because someone is married. What is the gain for them.

Most of these young women are dedicated, honest and bright they offer their employers a great employee. They are very wanted.

Many of the owners were one young inexperienced women so they appreciate their employees and understand where they are coming from.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
This is a very small business, I don't know if all those rules apply. ...

In that case you should really look into a good labor/employment atny and put them on retainer. These laws apply to all businesses in the US regardless of size.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
It's true that it's illegal. I always see ads in Lakewood or chareidi Brooklyn papers with job offer ads for males only/ females only, and I wonder how they get away with that!

Because of the relatively low readership compared to papers that are not Jewish. Folks outside these communities (non Jewish) don't read these publications. Because we don't sue our own they get away with it.

pause

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:09 pm
I'm not familiar with Lakewood per se, but in frum communities, a 9-2 job is ideal for most women.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:27 pm
as the op, I can explain some of my discriminatory practices...

When I say I look for married vs. single for specific positions, that is only because I have found that married women have an added level of conscientiousness that the single girls lack. They are more reliant on their paycheck and in general have a more mature outlook. This is just my experience. Were I to find a unmarried girl who has those qualities I would definitely hire her to the position. I have hired unmarried girls in the past who got married on the job and all of a sudden you could see them taking their job more seriously.

Regarding male vs. female - don't sue me but I doubt any man would be comfortable working for me, or in a dominantly chitty chatty female environment. I am not going to waste mine or his time on an interview that will not go anywhere before it starts!!

Thanks for all your help ladies! We still have tons to iron out before this will become a reality (if it gets to that)

Anyone familiar with where the best place to advertise would be?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:

'Splain away, it's still discrimination.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
a married lady is going to cost a minimum of $20 an hour

LTC and senior planning are paying that and they are hiring always

Yes, but those are full time positions. For someone who wants only part time, this may be of interest to them.

Ms Muggle

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:05 pm
These jobs are geared towards regular frum people, and frum people understand perfectly why certain jobs are better for men and some are better for women. As the OP said, she wouldn't turn down a single girl who met all her criteria, it's just that a married woman is more likely to be the right fit for the job. And the typical Lakewood guy is not going to want to be the only male in an office full of women so it makes perfect sense for her to be looking for a woman. Nobody who sees the ad is going to complain because everyone understands that these criteria make sense, so even if it's technically illegal, nobody cares and nobody's going to sue her.

Ms Muggle

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:06 pm
The typical place where everyone advertises jobs is the BP Weekly classifieds. If you want to spend more, you can do an ad in The Voice, which is heavily read by Lakewood women.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:

When I say I look for married vs. single for specific positions, that is only because I have found that married women have an added level of conscientiousness that the single girls lack. They are more reliant on their paycheck and in general have a more mature outlook. This is just my experience. Were I to find a unmarried girl who has those qualities I would definitely hire her to the position. I have hired unmarried girls in the past who got married on the job and all of a sudden you could see them taking their job more seriously.

funny, in my workplaces I have seen the opposite if anything. Either there is no difference or it is exactly the opposite. The single "girls" put their life and soul into the job and tend to be very reliable, while the marrieds and especially marrieds-with-kids are more looking to just get their paycheck and go, not really looking to go the extra mile, and often conflicted with other responsibilities such as needing to run off if their kid is sick or the like.

I guess maybe different industries attract different dynamics. I know I was able to give much more to my job before I got married; I still try my best and do a pretty good job if I may say so myself but I am definitely not putting in the type of above-and-beyond effort that I was able to do before my family ate up all my "spare" time.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:46 pm
mille wrote:

Good "chap"--I didn't even catch that. Shame on me!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics