Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If your husband is colorblind... (poll)

Do you let your color-blind husband do food shopping?
Yes, I just deal with whatever he brings home.  
 83%  [ 10 ]
Yes, everything but potatoes.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but only prepackaged goods.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, because he even gets things like milk wrong by mixing up the colored labeling.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I wouldn't even if he had normal vision.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other- I'll explain in a comment.  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:47 am
...do you let him do any of the grocery shopping?

I'm a little freaked out. I was off my feet half of my last pregnancy and dh did nearly all of the grocery-shopping. I just read that green potatoes are actually poisonous- I always thought that was a myth! There's usually at least one green potato in any bunch that dh picks out, and he can't tell the difference. He says he sees them all as green.

I've just put up with it until now, because for most fruits/vegetables it just means they're underripe, and many have signs other than color that tell you if they're good or not. I don't think we ate a whole lot of potatoes while I was pregnant, but does this mean I either need to pick them out myself or do without?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:54 am
Buy the bagged potatoes? I honestly haven't noticed my husband having issues with grocery shopping. You can go by touch with a lot of things if you're checking for ripeness. He has more trouble matching his clothes or the kids' clothes than buying produce.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Buy the bagged potatoes? I honestly haven't noticed my husband having issues with grocery shopping. You can go by touch with a lot of things if you're checking for ripeness. He has more trouble matching his clothes or the kids' clothes than buying produce.

Yeah, he just wears black pants all the time. White shirts for shabbos, neutral polos the rest of the week. Only one baby so far, but I hope no one will judge me if she's wearing a clashing outfit to shul some Yom Tov! Smile

We don't eat tons of potatoes, so the bags aren't always a practical option for us. Hopefully by the time we have enough kids eating them, I'll be able to send a child to the store with him to help with color.

I know he's asked store employees or fellow customers what color a bell pepper is on occasion- we haven't found another way around that one.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 12:54 pm
I've actually never seen a potato green on the outside. Sometimes they go green inside. I'm not entirely convinced they're actually poisonous either but that could possibly be debated. So he can buy the potatoes but you might want to check on them between peeling and cooking.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 12:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I've actually never seen a potato green on the outside. Sometimes they go green inside. I'm not entirely convinced they're actually poisonous either but that could possibly be debated. So he can buy the potatoes but you might want to check on them between peeling and cooking.

I've come across many that were visibly green from the outside- maybe we get a different variety where I live (not NY). I guess I'll need to plan better next pregnancy to make sure I have time to check them and we're not dependent on them for a Shabbos dish a couple of hours before Shabbos.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:19 pm
Most green spuds sold in stores are green only under the skin and not all the way through, so the simple expedient of peeling the potatoes before cooking will solve that problem. The green part contains solanine, a compound that interferes with the body's ability to absorb nutrients from food. A person with solanine poisoning starves to death even though he eats well, because the body can't use the nutrients.

However, you'd have to eat at least a pound of fully green potatoes--not just green-skinned spuds--to do yourself any real harm. Unless you were in fact starving before you ate the potatoes, the bitter taste would put you off before you could eat enough to be poisoned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07......html

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:14 pm
I'm relying on the NLM: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlin.....5.htm

I'm assuming it's like any toxin, measured in mg/kg, so more of an issue for small children.

I am wondering about other women with colorblind husbands, if this has affected them at all- I guess I'm curious if anyone else has funny stories- my favorite is when I came home from work one Friday afternoon in shana rishona to find dh frantic- he'd bought and opened a can of what he thought were diced tomatoes but turned out to be whole peeled tomatoes, so he ran back to the store for another and made the same mistake again. He thought there must be a mistake in the whole line until I pointed out that there were words on the can saying what it contained, aside from the fact that the labels were clearly different colors (to me, at least). Cooking lesson #37- always READ the label. Cooking lesson #38- you can dice your own tomatoes, even if the recipe calls for a can of pre-diced tomatoes. Sharing because dh also thinks the story is funny in retrospect. Smile

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:20 pm
Our funny stories mainly involve misunderstandings from other people. Like, DH will ask me what color something is, and someone overhears and looks at him funny, wondering why a grown man doesn't know his colors. Also, our kids don't fully understand that he doesn't see colors properly, so when they see him mixing things up, they think he's being intentionally silly or playing some sort of game. They don't understand that Abba really can't see purple, and really can't tell green from yellow etc.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:23 pm
Dh is not colorblind but my dad and at least 2 of my sons (so far) are. It hasn't really impacted shopping from what I can tell.

We recently bought "colorblind correction" glasses on amazon and they are loving it!!! The lenses are pink so you can't really wear them all over (without looking odd) but your Dh can definitely bring them to the grocery! They only work for red green colorblindness (most common) but they'll refund your $ if they don't work for you. My kids/dad don't use them for anything practical, they just enjoy getting to see the world like everyone else does...

bfg

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:23 pm
my husband is colour blind green-brown, doesn't affect grocery shopping.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:26 pm
Dh has already said he's just going to refer them to me if they ask what color anything is.

There was one time he thought I was trying to trick him- we were walking one Friday night and he pointed out a security camera on the side of a building. I said that yes, I'd noticed it- there were red LEDs around it. He said "you mean infrared- you can't see the light." I insisted I could (because I could), and said it must be in the part of the spectrum that he doesn't see. He only believed me when we asked a group of teens who passed by- they also thought it was a pretty strange question until we explained.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
Dh is not colorblind but my dad and at least 2 of my sons (so far) are. It hasn't really impacted shopping from what I can tell.

We recently bought "colorblind correction" glasses on amazon and they are loving it!!! The lenses are pink so you can't really wear them all over (without looking odd) but your Dh can definitely bring them to the grocery! They only work for red green colorblindness (most common) but they'll refund your $ if they don't work for you. My kids/dad don't use them for anything practical, they just enjoy getting to see the world like everyone else does...

Interesting- dh says he manages ok and he doesn't want to mess with what he's used to, in case it's hard to go back, as with regular glasses. I'm glad it works for your family, though!

2cents

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:29 pm
My dh is not colorblind, bh. Since baby #3 was born (for reference, #5 is coming soon ), he does the grocery shopping. And even with full color vision, he manages to bring home some stuff that boggles my mind. Generally, though, I'm so appreciative that he goes (technically I have much more time to go, but he does it to give me a break), that I
just dispose of whatever I won't use (or I try to get creative)and make do.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:32 pm
That actually reminds me of another story. One time, dh brought in a package (in a light brown box) and placed it on the dark brown table and then was looking all over for it. Did you ever try the online colorblindness tests? Take them with your husband, it's a lot of fun. He'll be like "are you kidding me, that's a square!" and you'll be like"no way, that's a circle!" LOL

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:40 pm
Yeah, those tests are a lot of fun- and your table story is great!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:35 pm
My dh is visually impaired and not colorblind. He can't read the labels so he can only buy big things like milk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics